Market Traders Chewin' The Fat

Have to say I’m surprised at that (training). Such a long in the tooth chap. What could possibly be out there that you don’t already know ?
Just keep sticking the 2% ers in the back of net !

1 Like

Sounds like a hockey game being played in the street on a dead end! No traffic makes for perfect conditions!

Stick with it Ex. You doing fine. Shortly you’ll notice you’ve gone a week without a loss then a couple. Why I enjoy Stu’s ramblings! What he said above is absolutely on track. I used to look at EU as a lady I was seeking favors from – worked fine when account was couple thousand. As it built towards 5 figures things changed dramatically for me. I started looking at a trade as a battle zone. When I entered everyone else in the zone was trying to grab my money. I was trying to grab theirs while protecting my own. Always had trouble with stops. Now look at it as my “reserves” to protect my life (account) in case the enemy gets too strong and I haffta fall back. As quickly as I can, I move my reserves up to protect my gains and base. Since I trade on “gut instinct” it truly is a attitude I’ve formed that has led to success.

@Leatherneck @StuFX
Thanks guys. I often have winning weeks.
However I have two Achilles heels (one on each leg :rofl: )
Well maybe only one and a half. Occasionally I suffer a weak hand and on 25th Feb I was short UJ, the ISM figures came in much stronger than expected and powered me into the red. Rather than lose sleep I elected to lose the 7% … however the next day it was back at break-even, or at least would have been if I had held it. :grimacing:

On my other heel … I usually trade without stops. I am spending much more time than I used to thinking about the likely price trajectory, and consider my position sizes. However when the above happens I drop into fire-fighting mode, and strangely I seem to do quite well at that. I stopped using stops when (quite a while back) it became apparent that they were a significant contributor to losing money. Therein lies my Achilles heel … I hate losing a position and I really should find an acceptable moderate-loss level and stick to it.

Onward and upward !

1 Like

Screenshot_2

1 Like

Time to BUTT LOL…

Screenshot_6

1 Like

I forgot to ask before “BUTT” ?

By Up The Trend ?

Normally you refer To Buy The F****** Dips.

For those who were wondering, “paying for training” is a euphemism for losing a trade…

1 Like

Back up the truck…relates more to fizz than trading tho

From time to time I read some company reports and I have mentioned above (somewhere) that Carador Income Fund is winding up. This fund is one of the suite of funds controlled/shepherded by Blackstone GSO … under the guidance of a managing director, whom I am sure is a superb chap, by the name of Dik Blewitt
:rofl:

As if that wasn’t enough I was just reading a quarterly report for Blackstone/GSO Loan Financing, particularly a Market Review from the investment strategist … Joe Zidle
:rofl:

( I’m sure it is just me… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

2 Likes

I backed up the truck but got beat by the spread ! Had to chance a limit as had to be elsewhere.

It was my understanding that gold was largely tied to how the dollar trades, albeit inversely. In other words when the dollar goes down Gold goes up and vice versely. Didn’t the dollar drop because the Fed decided to interest rates steady?

1 Like

Well … if you can see a correlation then I shall not deny it. A lot of this boils down to what you can perceive when other instruments move. Since Gold has an intrinsic value therefore when any of the major currencies weaken it seems logical that Gold would go up in value against that currency. The way to check that would be to put up the US-dollar index against the dollar-price of gold.

So when the FED raises interest rates a number of things happen. Usually a rise in interest rates increases the value of the subject currency against others. When rates go up that is normally perceived as bad for stocks and they drop, which also causes a demand for the currency. So when the FED didn’t raise rates at least two things happen; the stock market breathes a sigh of relief, money flows into stocks and the currency markets are therefore awash with the currency which was used to buy stocks, the other thing that happens is that any institutions (or other companies) holding that currency are now in a position where the interest rate differential has not moved in their favour (if they were hoping for a raise) and so any deferred currency transactions are brought forward because there is less value in holding onto the $.

Back to Gold. Players would not normally hold Gold unless they had a real reason to do so. This is because there is an associated storage cost, you pay monthly to own Gold (unless you take possession and stick it in your safe). Additionally, as I mentioned before in association with risk, when rates unexpectedly do not move there is perhaps a better reason to invest in other instruments such as stocks: Gold is sold to buy e.g. stocks and therefore the price of Gold falls.

Back to risk. Watch for the next OMG event. Things such as North Korea testing a previously untested ICBM that drops into the ocean off the coast of New Mexico. Or war breaking out between Iran and Saudi Arabia, or anything similar. That is a risk-off panic-on situation and the price of Gold will move a lot as players don’t know what to do for the best.

My attitude to gold is a lot simpler and boils down to where do I want to invest my spare cash - dollars/pounds/Euros or real money that will retain my purchasing power.

That is fine for spare cash, you take delivery and stick it in your safe (or wherever).
When you have to consider asset values comparable to e.g. a house ( 5 bars for a small house, 10 bars in London or 20 bars if you want something you can actually live in) the problem becomes considerable … and we haven’t even got to £1m

Nah most of my stash will be my kids(tax free) inheritance

Great interview with one of the worlds leading hedge fund analysts Kyle Bass. He is predicting zero interest rates for the US in 2020. Interesting take, not to mention if he is right it would return volatility to the FX markets again. That would be awesome if it did happen! The entire China debate, and their currency value is another interesting insight, and one to watch for as these trade negotiations continue.

1 Like

Not quite, the context was Ex losing 1 and gaining 2 :grin:

-1%202