Jesus Christ spoke Greek

It is generally believed that ■■■■ around that time all spoke Aramaic. That’s why the movie “Passion” was in (questionable) Aramaic.

But it was the Greeks who ruled the Levant for centuries and their language and culture were influential throughout the region.

Jesus probably learned Aramaic, the language of the common ■■■■■■ folks, and Hebrew, the language of ■■■■■■ learning.

Besides, he spent a number of years in the Himalayas (Kashmir, Tibet, who knows) in his youth so he probably spoke some of these languages too.

Your response doesn’t address my answer. You give ONLY your opinion, but no facts or evidence.

1 Like

I addressed YOUR opinion…:man_shrugging:

1 Like

No, not even in the same universe with accurate.

English form of Ιησους (Iesous) , which was the Greek form of the Aramaic name יֵשׁוּעַ (Yeshu’a) . Yeshu’a is itself a contracted form of Yehoshu’a (see JOSHUA). Yeshua ben Yoseph, better known as Jesus Christ, was the central figure of the New Testament and the source of the Christian religion. The four gospels state that he was the son of God and the Virgin Mary who fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah. He preached for three years before being crucified in Jerusalem.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/jesus

If this were baseball you wouldn’t even be in the same state as the ball.

Quite the fantasy. Of course there’s absolutely nothing in the bible that supports such a claim but hell, that would never slow you down any.

Joseph, Mary, and Jesus are all titles.

We don’t know the real names of Joseph and Mary, but at least we know that the real name of Jesus was Immanuel.

No we don’t, Mary and Joseph are both very well documented and Joseph appears in the Tax records.

Both names have common Hebrew/■■■■■■ roots and were fairly common in the OT.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/joseph

Yeah, virgin birth is well documented too. It’s up to you to believe in fairy tales.

This is more like what happened.

I’ll go with what is and can be documented vs your fantasies.

What does the ‘Christ’ bit mean - anyone know?

It means “Anointed by God”.

It has been shortened from the original “Jesus The Christ” to “Jesus Christ”.

Oh I thought it was a surname: but I don’t know why the appellation needs to be mentioned at all - there’s only 1 Jesus?

More correctly, there is only one Christ, his name is Jesus which is why many churches refer to him as “Christ, Jesus” instead of “Jesus Christ”. They are essentially interchangeable but the former is more correct than the latter.

Christ is Greek for “anointed one” or someone chosen to become a new king.

It derived from the ancient Egyptian practice of putting oil on the head of a new king. What kind of oil? Most likely crocodile fat.

But around the time of Jesus, it was the essential oil from spikenard.

Now, three wise men brought gifts for baby Jesus, supposedly: gold myrrh and frankincense. But “gold” was a translation error and it was correctly “liquid gold” or balsam oil. So called because it was expensive around that time.

So the gift for baby Jesus was:
frankincense for spirit
myrrh for mind
and gold for body.

Nice set of presents for the body, mind and spirit.

Absolutely true…

To be “anointed with oil” is found in the oldest books of the Old Testament.

It’s an ancient Egyptian custom, like I said.
Canaan was heavily influenced by the Egyptian culture.

■■■■■■ traditions began long before their time in Egypt.

■■■■ didn’t exist before the transition from the Bronze Age to Iron Age in the 12th century BC or thereabouts. Around that time, the land of Canaan was invaded by Philistines who were southeast Europeans.

The Canaanites who fled these invaders from the sea into the hills took on the new religion of Yahweh and became Israelites.

Needless to say, “exodus” never happened. No such record in Egypt or anywhere.

Nonetheless, the Egyptian documents speak of Apiru (Hebrews), equated with thieves and bandits

We all know that isn’t true. Moses and Noah were ■■■■ and the original religion of the Israelites was Judaism.

The exodus us well documented.