Jeb Bush: Trump needs Republican challenger in 2020

GWB has overlooked ALL the dems that blamed his dad for the war but can’t seem to get over Trump calling him out at debates .

Or idiots that instantly believe anything on the internet that confirms their bias…

:roll_eyes:

I don’t know of a Conservative that will take a polling call.

Calling Bill Krystol, where are you?

DMK,
Glad to be here, thank you.

I wont argue that Trump was legally elected. Although, the electoral college does not equal a majority of US citizens. There is an important distinction there, and one that needs to be addressed at some point. Right now, i dont really care, Im more concerned with the extreme polarization we see in our country today.
I agree that he has not fulfilled his campaign promise of building a wall and stopping illegal immigration, but similar to many career politician, i do not think this was his major goal to begin with, so its no surprise.

LouMan,
I hear you about Trump not being the first choice of many. I didnt vote for him or Hillary. Did i throw my vote away? Maybe, but at least i didnt give my vote to someone i fundamentally disagree with

I agree that illegal immigration is bad, that illegal drugs coming in is a danger to our kids and our society. I am on board with ending corruption in government, which is prevalent on both sides.
I just dont see how Trump could ever offer a solution to these problems. He is also corrupt. The only difference, i think, is that he is a corrupt business man, not a corrupt politician. I just dont see how thats better, especially when, best case, hes the same as the others, but just doesnt know how to do get things done in the political realm.

A discussion of tax policy and theory, as interesting as it would be, is more than i can get into right now. I will try to summarize my theory of taxes:
If an individual’s accumulation of wealth is contingent on them living in a certain society or economy, or if it is reliant on other less compensated individuals of that society to accumulate their wealth, it is my opinion that those individuals, to some degree, at least, owe more to that society than those that help generate their wealth. More simply, it is our rich economy, and societal structure that enables quite a few people to become very wealthy. They owe a larger percentage of their wealth back to the system that enabled that success, than do the workers they employ.

I do not agree with subsidizing lazy people. If you want to sit on your ass all day, go live in the woods and dont bother anyone. At the same time, there are people with legitimate needs and hardships, not because they’re lazy, but because of medical issues, or a failed emplyoyer laid them off, or a bad decision when they were a teenager. Whatever it may be, they are still a part of this system. The difficult part of legislating these things is differentiating between the lazy con-man and the person going through some really tough times.

Sorry for the book, but there was a lot there to reply to

There are few ways to build a wall limit illegal border crossings, limit th flow of drugs if congress refuses to:

1. Fund construction.
  2. Change broke asylum laws.
  3. Refuse to increase immigration judges.
  4. Refuses to fund additional housing.

But then again it would seem congress only job is to oppose changing immigration, or the flow of drugs and allow open border policies like catch and release to continue regardless of the impact on American citizens and American taxpayers.

That is exactly the reason the E.C. was formed, as well as to represent smaller states.

Your democrat political bias is showing. So you agree with the anti-constitution democrats that are running for president. Trump won 30 states that is a majority of the country. It is democrats blocking Trump from following through on his promises. There are aslo some hate Trump Washington establishment GOP fighting Trump. This election will be interesting. The democrats will lose because of their hate for our political system. The democrats are trying to rig the system and the Supreme court because they know they have nothing the country wants. I think the democrats will lose big in congress

My big issue with the electoral college is that 48 states currently give all their electoral votes to the candidate who wins a majority in that state, even if a candidate wins only 50.1% of votes in that state. The constitution makes no mention of this, it is up to each state. 30 states is obviously a majority of states, but not necessarily a majority of citizens.

The democrats are pissed because McConnell and the GOP stole one of their Supreme Court Justices.

That is not true some states are already going against the costitution and making the state votes irrelevant because they go by the popular vote.

They have no reason to be pissed because the GOP used the Biden rule. They followed what Biden said back in the early 90’s

Those laws in the states that want to give votes to the national popular majority winner, only go into effect if enough states adopt it to create a majority of elecoral votes. It looks extremely unlikely that will happen anytime soon, but at least its a start.

You are wrong. States run how their votes work.

And how is that going against the constitution? Like i said before, the constitution does not describe how a state should handle their electoral college votes.

Exactly. Although the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact only goes into effect if a majority of electorates is achieved

Correct! The problem I have with the popular vote is many of the states that don’t have large populations would be disenfranchise by those voting in places like New York and Los Angeles. I thought that was what the electoral college was for? Also this entire movement with certain states trying to change that is extremely suspect, and says more to me that the Democratic party is trying to game the system because they are fearful of not being able to win it fair and square. Things like lowering the voting age to 16, advocating for illegals to vote, increasing the number of justices on the SCOTUS all seem rather premeditated motives and a strategy for trying to game the system to their advantage, and I have a serious problem with that!

1 Like

So my question to you is:

Do you believe in a progressive tax policy or a flat tax where loop holes are eliminated?

As much as I dislike Bush he’s correct on this one.

Trump needs to just declare he’s not running and step back for the good of the country.

Even though I agree with him on most of his policies he’s a poisonous character who is dividing the country more and more day by day.

I’d much prefer to see Pence, Cruz, or any number of other republicans leading the ticket.

2 Likes

Giving smaller states a little more power was only part of the reason for the EC. The other was that the founders didnt trust the majority of the population. They feared misinformation and manipulation by candidates. The latter point is irrelevant, since elecoral votes never just vote how they want. Also EC was created when the mail and news was delivered via horses.

I agree with many of your points about Dems trying to game the system, but to be fair, the GOP does it too. Gerrymandering, voter suppression, and stealing Scalia’s seat are a few examples.

Progressive policy without so many loopholes