Is Now the Time To Start an Impeachment Process? Yes

I’ve been against seeing impeachment proceedings primarily because I had the belief that America might be torn asunder by the undertaking. After reading the covery article in the current The Atlantic I’m persuaded otherwise. The article posits five benefits of the process and presents them with compelling arguments.

> In these five ways—shifting the public’s attention to the president’s debilities, tipping the balance of power away from him, skimming off the froth of conspiratorial thinking, moving the fight to a rule-bound forum, and dealing lasting damage to his political prospects—the impeachment process has succeeded in the past. In fact, it’s the very efficacy of these past efforts that should give Congress pause; it’s a process that should be triggered only when a president’s betrayal of his basic duties requires it. But Trump’s conduct clearly meets that threshold. The only question is whether Congress will act.

Below is the benefit that won me over, it addresses how this is currently being played out in the court of public opinion and the dangers of that. I don’t pay much if any attention to what our right wing brethren are choosing to believe. For me even reading The American Conservative has become mostly a waste of time. However I’m starting to doubt the credibility and question the basis of the occasional article in the NYT, WAPO and yes, even TPM. This is a concern for me.

But the advantages of impeachment are not merely tactical. The third benefit is its utility as a tool of discovery and discernment. At the moment, it is often hard to tell the difference between wild-eyed conspiracy theories and straight narrations of the day’s news. Some of what is alleged about Trump is plainly false; much of it might be true, but lacks supporting evidence; and many of the best-documented claims are quickly forgotten, lost in the din of fresh allegations. This is what passes for due process in the court of public opinion

Something interesting that I’d forgotten of in Nixon’s impeachment was that it was not the original charges that drove him from office. The House’s process of discovery uncovered the tapes directing the CIA to take what ever means necessary to kill the FBI investigation into Watergate. Nixon released a clumsily edited version of the tapes in print. The actual tapes were subpoenaed and shortly afterwards Nixon flashed his final :v: got on the big bird and flew out into a gloom of his own making.

The problem is not new. When Congress first opened the Johnson impeachment hearings, for instance, the committee spent two months chasing rumor and innuendo. It heard allegations that Johnson had sent a secret letter to former Confederate President Jefferson Davis; that he had associated with a “disreputable woman” and, through her, sold pardons; that he had transferred ownership of confiscated railroads as political favors; even that he had conspired with John Wilkes Booth to assassinate Abraham Lincoln. The congressman who made that last claim was forced to admit to the committee pursuing impeachment that what he possessed “was not that kind of evidence which would satisfy the great mass of men”—he had simply based the accusation on his belief that every vice president who succeeds to the highest office murders his predecessor.

There was public value, though, in these investigations. The charges had already been leveled; they were circulating and shaping public opinion. Spread by a highly polarized, partisan press, they could not be dispelled or disproved. But once Congress initiated the process of impeachment, the charges had to be substantiated. And that meant taking them from the realm of rhetoric into the province of fact. Many of the claims against Johnson failed to survive the journey. Those that did eventually helped form the basis for his impeachment. Separating them out was crucial.

Here is the link to the entire article. Like all covers of The Atlantic it’s a long read but worth the time. My next item on my list for today to to write an email to my congresswoman in support of starting the impeachment process.

Impeach Donald Trump
Starting the process will rein in a president who is undermining American ideals—and bring the debate about his fitness for office into Congress, where it belongs.

How are others leaning? Is now the time and do we wait or choose to let the process remain moot?

1 Like

Distraction from your Jussie Smollett hoax?

2 Likes

What crimes has he done to be impeached?

Oh, the ImPeach meme again. How easy useful idiots are manipulated, and Trump’s election made it even easier for globalist/Israel lobby.

Bottom line is Trump will not be impeached

If the house impeaches him, it will die in the senate and it will guarantee a Trump second term

Unless Mueller uncovers something so damaging that the senate will have no choice, and I cant see that happening.

Two years of investigation and they got dick, nada and bupkis.

1 Like

It’ll be like Bill Clinton’s impeachment. There’s a good chance he’ll be impeached, but not convicted.

exactly flame heart, exactly.
the house impeached Clinton and the republican controlled senate did not , what makes them think the republican senate will impeach Trump, they will be handing the 2020 election and subsequent elections to the Democrats

1 Like

Do you honestly think the rest of the country will not go into open revolt against the tyranny of the democraps?

Do you honestly think it won’t impact the next election?

There is absolutely no evidence for impeachment yet the left seems on a self destruct course.

Good luck with that. You’ll never get the 2/3 needed in the senate to remove him and it’s doubtful you could even successfully impeach in the house.

They are actually it seems hell bent on provoking a civil war.

If they do, it won’t end well for them.

2 Likes

Why do you think people would start a war over lying Trump? Seriously? You can’t even get people to vote but you expect people to die for him?

I am not sure he will be impeached, but I am fairly certain he’ll be indicted once his presidency is over.

It has little do do with Trump although he’s got the kind of dedicated base that would likely pickup arms to defend him.

The assaults on the 2nd Amendment are the primary factor that will eventually lead to it and dem’s are going whole hogg on it now threatening the next democrat president should declare a national emergency to start picking up our guns.

He may be impeached, but he won’t be convicted by the Senate.
If he has any sense, Trump will pardon himself and his family before leaving office.

If he had any sense he’d resign with a deal in place for Pence to pardon them all.

About the only hope for 2020 other than a meltdown of the Democratic Party (Certainly not out of he question) would be for Pence to be able to run as an incumbent with a year or more for Trump to fade from the daily news cycle.

That’ll work too. Pence might renege on any pardon deal. The Nixon pardon doomed Ford.
If I was Trump, I’d pardon myself.

That would certainly face a SCOTUS challenge and I wouldn’t bet on how it would turn out.

What really doomed Ford was the disgust the country had with Nixon and the whole impeachment show.

Just heard Pat Caddel has died. Bad day. Always enjoyed him whether I agreed with him or not.

Caddel was always interesting.

He was the kind of democrat I could always respect and enjoy listening to. Great guy, brilliant intellect. Sad day.

The article argues,

In Congress, Trump’s most committed detractors might be tempted to follow the bad example of the Clinton impeachment, when, instead of conducting extensive hearings to weigh potential charges, House Republicans short-circuited the process—taking the independent counsel’s conclusions, rushing them to the floor, and voting to impeach in a lame-duck session. Trump’s opponents need to put their faith in the process, empowering a committee to consider specific charges, weigh the available evidence, and decide whether to proceed .

The author is thus not arguing for a rapid rush into impeachment proceedings, but instead that Congress should formally assign the task of reviewing Trump’s actions for possible impeachable offenses and, if found, drafting articles of impeachment to be submitted to Congress. Such a process need not even trample on the toes of current committee investigations – the “impeachment committee” could operate by accepting reports and recommendations for impeachment from the various committees that are investigating Trump and then subjecting them to a second layer of review.

Even if the impeachment committee ran its own (often duplicative) investigation, absent the discovery of something akin to the Watergate burglary, the process would almost certainly take many months to complete. I’m thus not certain that it provides a tremendous advantage over the present approach, although it certainly would send a clear message that the House is considering impeachment.

Exactly! Seems ignorance is bliss to some! Only that emotions of not getting the results they wanted is guiding this desire to change the election results to their own wanted outcome. Still snowflakes are going to keep crying!

2 Likes