How much of the bible is real history?

No not exactly! Language is outdated! “Word of God” written by man, clearly is subjective!

“It” has! I liken it to a code that needs to be deciphered!

From what has been learned in the last couple of decades a lot more than 12,000 years of history seems to have been lost and a lot of the legends are starting to appear to have a real basis in fact.

There’s considerable evidence now to show that Santorini may well have been Atlantis and many formerly legendary cities have been shown now to have existed as their remains have been found below sea level.

The earliest civilizations to have existed now can be dated back as far as 40,000 years.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/

As technology continues to improve we may find out that civilizations existed long before even that.

There have been several gigantic losses of human knowledge that are dwarfed by the distributed loss of learning by individuals and families that end without documentation.

The big losses include the burning of the Library at Alexandria (Egypt), the fall of Rome, and the Bubonic Plague (medieval period).

I have my college one that works. :slight_smile:

There is that one, but much more.

Those are just the small scale losses we know of because they were recorded by others. Imagine what has been lost that wasn’t recorded on virtually indestructible media or buried so deep beneath the oceans or layers of silt that we may never find the evidence of?

Let us establish a simple logical baseline…

Are you suggesting that assuming there is a God, that he could not direct men to scribe his words accurately?

Best proof of this is that Jesus did not write, but spoke and acted. It is apparent to the faithful that this is either a characteristic of God, or a choice that he has made.

1 Like

Define accurately? Word for word and verbatim? Or the intent and meaning?

I don’t know, I am not all that interested in yet another stone age pagan civilization.

Every once and a while they pull some brass thing out of the Med that interests me.

Perfect.

Who’s to say they’d all be pagans? God is universal so I have little doubt but that he’s revealed himself in many ways to every culture that has ever developed.

The “London Hammer” definitely intrigues me because there’s no simple explanation for it.

That is a good one. The Physicist in me keeps looking for the odd tell-tale evidence of time travellers, but I don’t let it impact my real life.

Oh, and BTW: any other revelations other than Jesus are just disinformation.

:wink:

1 Like

Except we have a whole history of mankind before Christ came to “show us his way”.

The Christ I know could never harshly judge anyone who was never exposed to his message or who lived and died before he came to earth.

I’d really like to see a solid metallurgical examination of it. Identifying when and where, at least down to the region iron or steel was produced is pretty easy these days.

BTW are you keeping up with the Oak Island Series? A lot of interesting stuff there.

What I trying to get at is that language itself is outdated, particularly as it relates to the Bible. Yes there is some definitive context but most of the bible is written in parables and thus is subject to interpretation.

For example, In the RH, about a month or two ago someone posted a article about the Archbishop of Canterbury making a statement about “God” being gender neutral. While many merely dismissed his statement as being rubbish due to his past statements being in line with virtue signaling, however when looking at it from a purely objective basis, the statement itself could not be disproved. The point I was trying to make was that his statement wasn’t necessarily not True, and that man himself could not establish either way what gender “God” is. The Bible was written by man, and thus considering the time that it was written in, it was assumed that God was a “he” as often “God” is referred in masculine terms.

This of course is one example out of many where interpretation and deconstruction comes into play. Revelations is entirely written in parables and not precise in terms of clarity of a articulate truth, just that it can be interpreted in many ways to offer many different meanings.

From the beginning of the Bible, God has been telling us that there is Sin, that sin separates us from him, and that there must be proper sacrifice to bring us back into the fold.

I don’t judge people, above my paygrade. I do study, and I am a T.U.L.I.P. Calvinist.

Jesus was a man, and called God “Father”.

Black Swan proof by existence.

There is a lot of junk flying around here that does not even pass the black swan test, wait until the topics run into reductio. My kids think it is funny that I got 104% in my university logic class.

But wasn’t Jesus also referred to the “son of God” and was the subject of debate that the Temple ■■■■ considered blasphemy? I think the irony in that entire story is pretty uncanny. That being said, I think it is also assumed that because Jesus was a man that God itself must be one too. This is where things get blurred in terms of interpretation and presumption!

BTW, what is “Black Swan”. I am not familiar with that term.