How Many Calibers do you shoot?

I don’t think of it as a stash, it’s an investment. :slight_smile:

Pretty sure they are steel. But it does come with plastic spacers of the same shape so you can kind of do what you imply.

Put plastic ones farther back and metal towards the muzzle so it’s balanced more forward.

I love shooting that beast. In fact Saturday I compete in my first ICORE revolver competition with it.

1 Like

You know I never thought of it that way, but I have some bricks of 22 LR that have the store sticker price of $7.99 on them that I could easily sell for $25. :wink:

1 Like

I have been shooting 44 magnum since I was 13 and have shot .454 Casuls, .460 S&Ws, and .480 Rugers. But the only revolver to ever hurt my hand was a .44 mag S&W 329 scandium Backpacker … it weighs slightly more than half of what the 629 weighs. It literally stung my hand, like someone had slapped it with a stout stick.

I had a taurus Aluminum/titanium ultralight 44m that would swell your wrist aver five shots.

Way too light for that much power.

When Taurus first came out with the .357 mag tracker, they made a titanium frame version that damn near ruined them. The acceleration was so great that it damaged the timing mechanism so nearly every gun came back to the factory for repairs. They had to quit making them, and then spent the next few years trying to regain their reputation as a reliable gun maker. It might have been a blessing … the reengineering of parts trying to solve that issue resulted in them now building a very sturdy gun.

Yup. That’s the one. Would have been a great gun if you only wanted to carry it and never shoot it. That’s pretty close to how I described shooting it to my friends too.

I took a hefty loss on that gun. The most expensive 6 rounds I’ve ever shot. Bought it for $700+, shot six rounds and sold it for $500.

The “Backpacker” was designed specifically to be used exactly as its name implies … for protection from large animals when backpacking where every ounce of weight counts. It is not designed for pleasure shooting. And if you are confronted with a charging bear, a sore hand would not even enter your mind. I expect you would not even notice the intense recoil and the pain in that situation.

If I had owned that gun, I would have used either light loads or .44 specials to acquire familiarity with the gun. Of course one wheel of full-load magnums just to understand the potential would probably be in order, but there is no sense making yourself fear pulling the trigger when training to use the gun.

1 Like

I have several of the later model Tracker TI’s. They are amazing.

I mistakenly bought one of the UL Tracker 44’s. Aluminum Alloy frame, TI barrel sleeve and cylinder.

When I first handled it I simply put it back on GB because I knew immediately I’d never enjoy shooting it.

When they first came out, I handled a titanium 627 .357 at a gunshow on a dealer’s table and fell in love with it. When I could afford it, I went to the dealer’s shop to buy one, but by that time the recoil acceleration problems had surfaced and he told me that he refused to sell them anymore because he was tired of them coming back into his shop broken. So I bought the stainless version. It has given me very good service and while it is not my favorite revolver, I do love the ribbed grip.

I handled a Ruger SP 101? in 357. It was the 3" version if I remember right.

First revolver that just melted into my hand in more than a decade and I’m still not too sure I won’t eventually end up owning one.

Very nice weapon particularly for when complete concealment is a must.

EDTA: Yep, here it is.

Not a fan of the grips he put on it but still a very nice weapon.

The factory grips are very nice, but on the small side. I put Hogue finger grove grips on mine; big improvement.

Myself, I have downsized considerably. Once had over 100 firearms. Just slowly sold them off over the past 10 years. Now, five .22 rifles & handguns, one Mini 14, one 03 Springfield ( full military ), one Savage 30 06, one Firestar .45, a Henry Survival rifle ( .22 ), Ruger .327 revolver. One Mossberg ( 500 ) 12 gauge, and one 12 gauge Coach Gun. It became a chore to clean that many firearms ( even once a year ). Believe me, you do reach that point. When I walk the mountains alone, I carry the old Remington Fieldmaster .22; and the Firestar .45 ( concealed ). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SOME TRIVIA: All I have ever used to clean my firearms is the Original Liquid Wrench. The grandfather used kerosene.

1 Like

It’s hard to get rid of the smell of kerosene.

1 Like

I, on the other hand, still own every gun I ever owned except the first one … a single shot bolt auction .22 rifle. The first gun I ever bought, when I was 16 (a Remington 700, 30-06,) still resides in my gun safe 56 years later.

Liquid Wrench stinks. No wonder you didn’t like cleaning all those guns.

PS: Hoppe’s No. 9 smells great. :wink:

Either Hogue or Pachmayer with the finger grooves would be my preference as well, that’s what the one I was looking at had on it.

Except all of those that we lost in that boating accident. Damn shame.

2 Likes

I still shoot the Springfield Model 15 . A .22 single shot, bolt action, manual cock; and believe it or not, it’s my most accurate .22 rifle. Just superb with subsonic .22 ammunition. It will handle all standard .22 calibers. ( rimfire ).

…likely with the exception of .22 magnum…the caliber is standard, the casing is not.