Ginger Baker kicks the Bucket

CNN: Famed drummer ginger Baker died peacefully a few hours ago. He surely will be missed. Trained as a Jazz Drummer he hit the high mark while the drummer for the Super Group “Cream”. I would rate Mr. Baker, Mitch Mitchell and RIngo Starr as the top drummers in musical history. He was 80 years old.

Ginger Baker, legendary drummer of Cream, dies at 80 - CNN
https://edition.cnn.com › entertainment › ginger-baker-obituary-intl-gbr
](https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/06/entertainment/ginger-baker-obituary-intl-gbr/index.html)

I don’t know. As far as best drummers are concerned, is rather subjective! I am sure Baker would agree, RIP anyway!

I don’t think he was famous for being on CNN. He was an excellent drummer though.

Thanks-corrected. Have a nice day!

Ringo wasn’t the best drummer in the world.

In fact, as John Lennon said, he wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles.

1 Like

Actually, John Lennon didn’t say that…

Never heard Ginger Baker. R.I.P.

I’d have to vote for this guy for best drummer in my lifetime.

https://www.chonday.com/4614/budrichdrusl3/

R.I.P.

Cream - bassist Jack Bruce, guitarist Eric Clapton, and drummer Ginger Baker

2 Likes

Kudos! I’d still have to call it a draw!

2 Likes

John Bonam, Kieth Moon, Drummer,

Manu Katche, Carl Palmer, Stuart Copeland, Percussionist

I don’t know how I’m get posts on this thread - I can’t stand muzak. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

PS ‘face_with_symbols_over_ mouth’ :roll_eyes:

What a lovely dignified and very moving tribute from his daughter. It makes a change from here in the UK, where family tributes go on and on for at least 4 paragraphs.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

What’s the good story???

Lots of great ones over the years, my two favorites are Bill Bruford and Stuart Copeland, but Ginger Baker is right up there with all of the best.

There’s a fascinating movie documentary on his life, made a few years ago. He was always cantankerous, and he continued to be sore that they didn’t give him credit for that percussive intro to “White Room.” Clapton had to make peace between Bruce and Baker to form Cream, Baker had pummeled Bruce onstage when they were in a previous band and they bickered constantly.

Yeah Bill Bruford is up there as far as Drummers are concerned. Other honorable mentions:

Niel Pert, Tony Williams, Jeff Porcaro, Mitch Mitchell, Joe Morello.

Hard to argue Buddy Rich being the Best ever, but again its subjective as in personal preference. Ginger Baker never spoke to me in terms hearing the snap articulation, and off timing rhythms that you get with Manu Katche, Carl Palmer, and some of the other Jazz greats that are not genre handcuffed.

Jesus H, what’s all this with ‘drummers’? A monkey can be taught to hit a few drums, but try teaching one to play a violin, or a keyboard instrument. Let’s keep it in perspective shall we?

Interesting! Do you play an instrument? If you don’t like the conversation then why bother commenting?

I didn’t say I ‘don’t like the conversation’ ffs, I just wondered why drumming is so uppermost in everyone’s mind. No, I don’t play an instrument, and have always wished I could play the piano, but I don’t know what that has to do with anything.

Dude! The thread is about a famous Drummer who just passed! FFS right back at you!