'Flintstone' house sparks lawsuit from California town: 'It's an eyesore'

Your properties are not your properties. Not in commiefornia.

The quirky home features dinosaurs and a sign proclaiming ‘Yabba-dabba-doo’, but neighbors aren’t amused

California architecture has captured the world’s imagination with its classic midcentury bungalows and beach houses. But one architectural landmark in the state has gone a distinctively different route, and it’s not to the town’s liking.

The “Flintstones” home in northern California appears to take its architectural cues from the town of Bedrock. The experimental house was built in the 1970s using a technique that involved spraying concrete to create curved walls. The result is a building where Fred and Wilma would feel at home, and it has become a landmark for drivers passing on I-280.

The home is located in the upscale town of Hillsborough, which has a unique architectural history of its own. It’s the site of a Frank Lloyd Wright house where the celebrated real estate developer Joseph Eichler once rented. Inspired by the home, Eichler went on to help popularize the mid-century modern style; his California homes have become icons of the movement.

It has long been a thorn in the eye of local residents, and the decorating taste of Florence Fang, who bought the home in 2017, hasn’t exactly helped the house gain popularity.

Fang is responsible for big metal dinosaurs and Flintstones figurines dotting the property. She also installed a deck, a parking strip and, in a particularly subtle move, an enthusiastic sign proclaiming: “Yabba-dabba-doo.”

While some might argue she is simply honoring the legacy of a beloved cartoon family, the town disagrees. Fang is facing a lawsuit arguing that the home, whose hilltop position makes it hard for passersby to miss, has become a public nuisance. According to the suit, Fang’s improvements were made largely without permits.

The suit says Fang has been asked to halt her work multiple times, with officials calling it “a highly visible eyesore and are out of keeping with community standards”.

Fang paid a $200 fine last year, the local Daily Journal newspaper reported, but has failed to dismantle her dinosaur collection. In a statement seen by the Associated Press, her grandson said: “I think the dinosaurs are beautiful. They make everyone smile and should stay.”

If town officials get their way, the Flintstone house could end up a little less Bedrockian – suffering a similar fate to that of the Simpsons house in Henderson, Nevada, modeled after 742 Evergreen Terrace. Once a colorful replica of Homer’s home, it now it looks like any other suburban building. But as an inquisitive visitor found, the house can’t escape its history: as paint chips away on the garage, a layer of bright orange is visible underneath.

1 Like

1 Like

The experimental house was built in the 1970s using a technique that involved [spraying concrete]

And thy get upset today. Must have new snowflakes in the neighborhood.

3 Likes

You can’t build a birdhouse in Hillsborough without getting a permit with design/engineering approved.

And I bet the house stays cool in summer and once warmed in winter holds heat as well.

2 Likes

Too cool for the rich neighbors. I guess all the tech cash flushing their wallets cant keep them from being petty nosy neighbors.

2 Likes

Good for them for making the place weird and their own. Life is good when you don’t have an HOA.

2 Likes

HOA’s have value as long as they don’t get out of control which happens often.

I bought a beach condo 20 years ago in a new community with an HOA. That damn HOA fee is double the cost of my mortgage on the place.

You’re right - they are good when they don’t get out of control. It’s the not getting out of control part that’s a rare find. For us it was a slow and incremental increase every year.

1 Like

Support the Anti-HOA

It has a charter, specifies no powers, no fees and that it cannot be amended or revoked.

Protects you from your neighbors trying to force you into one because they’ve got a burr up their backsides.

4 Likes

Our Local PBS Station
Has A Program Dedicated To These Oddities

Here In Missouri’s Ozark Region
People Have Built Homes, Crazy Fences And Grottos
From The Smooth River Rock From Our Streams
They Seem Proud Of Them
I Don’t Think They’re All That Bad

I’ve Seen The Up-Ended Cadillacs Outside Amarillo
And A Famous House On Vancouver Island
Built Entirely Of Concrete And Empty Wine Bottles
There’s A Couple Geodesic Homes, A Yurt
And A House Built Up In The Air
Here In The Kansas City Area

I Don’t Want To Live Like That Myself
But I’m Not Bothered By People That Do
Folks Need To Get Over
Not Everyone Wants To Live On The Golf Course

I’m the president of the HOA where I bought a townhome for my daughter while she is in college.

Every dime is accounted for, no frivolous purchases, everyone is treated the same and there are zero exceptions.

As a side note fees do go up as vendors rates go up very year, materials go up every year. It’s inevitable association fees rise. I renegotiated contracts in the last 2 years and saved over 10K each year. There is zero appreciation for the savings. everyone thinks that everything should be paid for and fees ar to high. N one reads the financials so a discussion is impossible.

I hope this homeowner fights and wins these nuisance fines.

The fact that the house has been there for so long and the recent additions are all nonstructural and cosmetic makes for a good case for them.

People can be real assholes. If that house bothers someone so much…THEY can move away.

:building_construction:

Stonehearts, meet the Stonehearts
They bought a house and now they’re making a fuss as you can see
From the town of Beverly
They want you out for your lack of conformity

Oooooooo, what a privilege to live next door to that! A reminder of how we all know that humans rode on the backs of dinosaurs 6000 years ago when your god created the earth!

This is once again proof that evolution is a really, really big lie. Same as Ken Ham’s ark is proof!

Eat your heart out Richard Dawkins.

Complaining about a house now? Im sure there are no weird looking houses in Perfect Canada of yours.

I remember this house 10 years ago when I was in California driving on the 280, and I actually got to see it upclose, its ugly but he its her choice, why people are complaining shows how petty they are.

If they dont like it, get together and buy the house and do what you want to do with it

Doesn’t work that way. There are zoing laws to prevent such monstrosities. That’s the reason you won’t be allowed to run your garbage dump in your slum neighbourhood.

Who needs to be constantly reminded about humans riding on the backs of dinosaurs 6000 years ago?

The home passed zoning laws when it was built. It’s enough. The issue isn’t the home.

As for the carefully manicured lawn and the art, yes, how dare you judge it not to be art because it doesn’t do anything for you, why should you care?

The non-white artist? Or his likely to be white neighbors making a fuss?

How unenlightened of you.

if that the case and it violated the zoning laws, that house would have been condemned and torn down
The issue isn’t the house itself its the additions in the back yard that could be a safety issue or not built to their specific code.

having an ugly house that mirrors the flintstone house doesn’t violate or contravene any zoning laws, the addition , staircase in the backyard might not be up to code and the dinosaurs statues might