Congress Will Pass DC Statehood

Who are they?
Can you name names?

It takes an amendment to the Constitution under Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17 and requires 2/3rds of the states, to ratify it.

Duh!

Man you are real piece of work! The mental gymnastics you are willing go through to fitting your warped narrative into something contrary is hilarious!

Did you bother to read the constitution article I posted??

Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution contains the district clause, which clearly grants Congress the power “to exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States.”

The Supreme Court has maintained that a municipality can preside over Washington so long as it doesn’t interfere with Congress’s exclusive powers, but it has expressly forbidden statehood so long as current law exists. And because the provision against statehood is in the Constitution and not regular federal law, there’s nothing Congress can do about that on its own.

Article IV, Section 3 of the Constitution says that Congress can’t unilaterally admit any state into the union that’s already “within the Jurisdiction of any other State.” That already presents likely legal complications preventing even a successfully passed bill from actually going into effect.

Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution contains the district clause, which clearly grants Congress the power “to exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States.”

The Supreme Court has maintained that a municipality can preside over Washington so long as it doesn’t interfere with Congress’s exclusive powers, but it has expressly forbidden statehood so long as current law exists. And because the provision against statehood is in the Constitution and not regular federal law, there’s nothing Congress can do about that on its own.

He is trying to conflate two separate things with out fully understanding the provisions put into place that prevents this sort of thing from happening.

For example, a territory can apply for statehood and successfully become a state with consent of adjoining or bordering territories. Because there is very little case law that makes this issue specific the left is trying to use this same premise by trying to exploit it by conflating legal precedent. Based on this premise Puerto Rico stands a better chance at becoming a state than DC does.

As far as DC becoming a state the constitution is very specific about a Nations Capital existing within a nation state so it has as little chance of passing as my dog Chico becoming President. This if it makes it past the legal challenges will be defeated based on constitutional arguments at the highest courts. I fully expect states objections to be in full force if this makes it to the floor for a vote.

You are misinterpreting this section. Read “junction” as a verb. A new state doesn’t need permission from other states it may border. That border already exists. Now if, for instance, Kansas city wanted to become its own state, it would need approval from Kansas and Missouri because parts of each state would be joining (by a junction).

This isn’t even part of the discussion senators are having, so not sure why you think this is relevant.

Another misreading. It says nothing of the sort. A smaller area for the federal district would satisfy the requirements.

Correct. I doubt they would have trouble from Maryland and Virginia even if they needed consent

That’s based on Madison’s federalist paper 43 not the constitution. And yes, that is the argument being pushed by the right, although it’s not as cut and dried as they make it. The constitution does not specify this.

1 Like

No you fking moral relativist moron, that is exactly what the constitution that was cited earlier is based on. Stop trying to reinterpret it! Why the fuck are you responding to me?

You’re extremely stupid

Well, it will be for the courts to decide.

If the dementia king hurrys he can get his handlers to rush appointments to the courts then they can effectively trash the court system and ram that down the throats of the American people

This country in the short time Biden has been in office is turning into a leftist shithole 3rd world country.

You and your party have much to be proud of bringing an end to the USA.

In other words, you don’t know who.
A fictive argument…

Spare me the drama. And for the record, I’m not a huge fan of either party. I do think the Republicans are more dangerous to the country right now, so that leaves me no option but to vote Democrat.

I actually did vote for a couple Republicans at the local level here last november. Don’t assume you know someone

Really? Why? …

1 Like

I gave up and put him on mute.

1 Like

To bad D.C. can’t be allowed to secede and become a separate country.

And how did you do that???

Why do so many fear DC statehood???

Because DC is a “hood.”