Congress Will Pass DC Statehood

But that won’t happen and statehood is much more likely…:wink:

Statehood to a bunch of welfare recipients in the hood…
What a great idea.

Well ignorance and racism is clearly behind the opposition to statehood. But that was a given…

Thanks for putting on a perfect demonstration why sane normal people shouldn’t ever vote Democrat.

1 Like

Its not racism, its amatter of corruption as bad as any black ruled African country. How far can you away from the capitol area before some black perdon that has been kept poor by racist white people has a gun.in your back.Maryland and Virginia are close by,they go screw those states up.

Only in your mind, Monte- well, and whatever Muriel Bowser has between her ears. The nation is wise to this ploy, and at least half the nation is offended by Bowser’s attempt to play the race card on this one. DC is incredibly corrupt - how corrupt? The day the book “The Bell Curve” was published, Marion Barry was re-elected Mayor of DC after his video’d coke and whore exploits (just a Tuesday to Marion “MFIC” Barry).
Watch “Waiting for Superman” (new or original) to see what kind of place DC actually is. The day that third world mini banana republic becomes a state, our nation is doomed.

How many times about any number of issues over decades of time have I heard that before…:rofl:

1 Like

By the same token, the corrupt banana republics in the UN shouldn’t have the equal voting rights as the countries with serious industries and working population. This is “democracy” at its worst.

If above can be enforced, then the world will be a much better place.

“Bad money drives out good” applies here as well.

I’m not understanding the connection between our two posts…:thinking:

Ain’t you the one who want to give statehood to DC?

Aren’t I though…:man_shrugging:

Dc will never get statehood. No rural areas just a shit hole.

No, that is the most ignorant statement I read tonight. D.C. was never intended to be a state. It was a place to house the federal government and for them to convene. The reason why it shouldn’t be a state is because that is not what it was designed or intended for. I know that doesn’t matter to the left as it just wants extra votes, but that is the reason, not some crazy notions or ideas.

2 Likes

What’s laughable is they can scream all they want, it still takes an amendment to the constitution for DC to gain statehood, not going to happen.

An executive order just won’t cut it.

A constitutional amendment is not a requirement for statehood. They can shrink the size of the capital district down to the area around the capital and grant statehood to the rest of the city with simple majority votes.

This probably won’t happen though because the senate would need 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. The nuclear option doesnt look good either because a few democrat senator have already said they won’t go that route for DC statehood.

Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution contains the district clause, which clearly grants Congress the power “to exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States.”

The Supreme Court has maintained that a municipality can preside over Washington so long as it doesn’t interfere with Congress’s exclusive powers, but it has expressly forbidden statehood so long as current law exists. And because the provision against statehood is in the Constitution and not regular federal law, there’s nothing Congress can do about that on its own.

Article IV, Section 3 of the Constitution says that Congress can’t unilaterally admit any state into the union that’s already “within the Jurisdiction of any other State.” That already presents likely legal complications preventing even a successfully passed bill from actually going into effect.

1 Like

Cite an example where in US history that this ever happened?

You are completely clueless about this topic! As usual, no surprise here!

The California admission act of 1850

True to your colors, you insult me for no apparent reason.

The admission clause of the constitution is pretty straightforward and gives congress complete power to admit new states, so long as it is not contained within another state. This has happened 37 times.

What makes you think an amendment is necessary?

That is a pretty big reach and a false equivalency on your part!

Yeah because you fking idiot!

A thing called the constitution. Hello!

USCS Const. Art. IV, § 3, Cl 1. This provision reads:

“New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress”.