Cannibalism at Chaco Canyon. Ultimate oxymoron

Chaco Canyon is a well-known historic site in New Mexico with remains of Anasazi dwellings and ritual centers.
The Anasazi are thought to be the ancestors of Hopi, Zuni and other Pueblo Indians, a synonym for peaceful people.

But archaeological finds suggest cannibalism was practiced there. How could it be?

Interesting find Didge…:

Cannibalism in prehistoric Britain (and other places)

I’ve never been so hungry, I would consider it; but, well, you know. No doubt culture had rituals that involved cannibalism.

People will anything, when pushed by the survival instinct.

Tom Brown (the tracker) told us of a vegetarian woman who somehow got stuck inside a building for days, and all she could find was a rat. And you know the rest of the story.

I’m sure there are equivalents of Christian sacramental bread and wine in other religions.

Cannibalism in some cultures in New Guinea and Australia was out of respect for the dead, not out of hatred or due to shortage of food.

Audra Favor : I can’t imagine eating a dog and not thinking anything of it.

John Russell : You even been hungry, lady? Not just ready for supper. Hungry enough so that your belly swells?

Audra Favor : I wouldn’t care how hungry I got. I know I wouldn’t eat one of those camp dogs.

John Russell : You’d eat it. You’d fight for the bones, too.

Audra Favor : Have you ever eaten a dog, Mr. Russell?

John Russell : Eaten one and lived like one.

Audra Favor : Dear me.

It reminds me of the stark contrast between the Amundsen mission and Scott mission in Antarctica.

The Norwegians let the dogs pull the sleds and returned to their base safely and quickly, after reaching the South Pole. They killed and ate the dogs who had become weak.

Captain Scott refused to kill the already useless Siberian ponies and pulled the sled themselves. The English team perished in the cold.