Breaking – U.S. and Taliban to Sign Peace Deal Saturday

Well this is 18 years a little late but hey who is counting right? This is a positive sign that such change is possible and ending a decades long war is finally coming to an end is something we should be glad about.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1233518048721690629?s=20

Saturday’s ceremony also signals the potential end of a tremendous investment of blood and treasure. The U.S. spent more than $750 billion, and on all sides the war cost tens of thousands of lives lost, permanently scarred and indelibly interrupted. Yet it’s also a conflict that is frequently ignored by U.S. politicians and the American public.

In the Qatari capital of Doha, America’s top diplomat will stand with leaders of the Taliban, Afghanistan’s former rulers who harbored Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaida network as they plotted, and then celebrated, the hijackings of four airliners that were crashed into lower Manhattan, the Pentagon and a field in western Pennsylvania, killing almost 3,000 people.

It will likely be an uncomfortable appearance for Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who privately told a conference of U.S. ambassadors at the State Department this week that he was going only because President Donald Trump had insisted on his participation, according to two people present.

A statement from Trump on Friday said Pompeo will “witness” the signing of the agreement, leaving unclear if he will personally sign it on behalf of the United States, or if he will shake hands with Taliban representatives.

U.S. troops are to be withdrawn to 8,600 from about 13,000 in the weeks following Saturday’s signing. Further drawdowns are to depend on the Taliban meeting certain counter-terrorism conditions, compliance that will be assessed by the United States. But officials say soldiers will be coming home.

1 Like

So what’s the point of leaving 8,600 troops in the country?

A pointless response from someone who doesn’t have an intelligent answer to an intelligent question. I have a brain, matey, and that’s exactly what’s bothering you; you’ve been suffering from IQ insecurity ever since I came on the scene. :sunglasses: A bit like @TWR has, now that I think about it . . . hold that thought?? :laughing:

1 Like

Ask stupid questions get a equal response! Not that hard to figure out for trolls such as yourself! Next!

Well then explain it to me as if you’re explaining to a halfwit? Go on, I challenge you???

I don’t want to because its obvious you can never think for yourself, and coming from someone who is always touting themselves as having common sense apparently the irony of such statements escapes you. Bye!

Ah, a final insult prior to flouncing away from a lost argument. The valediction of a called-out messageboard flamebaiter.

YeaH OK, WHATEVER you want to tell yourself to affirm for propping up that self confidence of yours then by all means do it. Sorry if you take offense by putting such false assumptions on your part but the truth is I much rather spend my time for having meaningful discussions with people who actually have some semblance of knowledge of the subject matter at hand instead of wasting it with people like yourself that is shooting in the dark and doesn’t bother reading or educating themselves about what is the topic. Isn’t it evident on other threads you participate here on?

Okay, message received and understood. Over and out.

OP

I’ll give it a week - a fortnight at most.

If a representative of the Obama administration was witnessing this step towards ending our longest military engagement it would be hailed in the media as the greatest thing since Appomattox.

2 Likes

US, Taliban Sign Deal Aimed at Ending War in Afghanistan

If this agreement holds and actual progress is made, President Trump has one upped Dubya and Schmobama which will piss off the Dems and will mean alot in the election, especially if some of the troops come home.
Naturally, both Nincompoop Nancy and Crazy Chuck will have all negative comments about the agreement.

1 Like

I seriously doubt that the Taliban will honor this agreement. Whatever happened to the US not negotiating with terrorists?

The Afganistan government is absolutely inept and over matched against Al Qaida. This maybe a better solution for all involved considering the money and lives lost. Sometimes its better to cut your losses and Trump is smart enough to know it. If anything positive comes out of this Trump will be seen as making good on his promise to deinvolve the U.S. from no win situations.

1 Like

I agree, but there is something bigger in play here! It is tied to the deep state and it’s no coincidence that Ratcliff was just appointed DNI. The ones I worry about the most are John Brennan’s henchmen. Remember where and when this war started! The parallels of Vietnam is strikingly similar and pray for Trumps safety.

Obama certainly did. He sent pallets of laundered cash to terrorists. He traded 5 known terrorists for one sniveling American traitor…and called it a victory.

There is no harm in seeking peace negotiations. It’s trading hostages for cash that does nothing more than promote the taking of more hostages.

2 Likes

Probably true. However if this same deal was proposed by the Obama Administration, conservatives in general and Donald Trump in particular would have been assailing it as showing weakness and putting the US in danger.

That is supposition on your part.