BREAKING: Senators Working to Slip Israel Anti-Boycott Law Through in Lame Duck

Several times people here have said I have not answered questions, won’t answer. etc. Where did you learn that debate strategy? Is it to delegitimize my position by pretending that it is arbitrary?

I provided my reason.

No… not the case. It was stated early on that your opinion, your free speech, is not at issue here. What is being put forth in this law is what you do with that opinion… A big difference. As I said, supporting someones right to do or be something is an opinion but translating that opinion into the action of withholding business… now becomes a boycott. If your independent belief is that, in this instance, Israel should not have extended its borders and therefore you withhold business based on that, you are now boycotting a business not just expressing an opinion… AND if that opinion and subsequent action, in the eyes of the government ‘SUPPORTS’ the boycott efforts of a foreign government, you are in violation of that law…

1 Like

There of course is a difference between what the US government does and what, under the constitution it forces a citizen to do. Aiding and abetting an enemy is a long standing law of treason but failing to support the US governments attempt to pump up the GDP of a friend… a different animal entirely

1 Like

If you want to get picky, I would say that the bill has the same objective… to prevent lobbyists funded (primarily) by certain Arab foreign nations from influencing Americans to support THEIR international boycott.
Still has nothing to do with personal buying choices.

Glad we made progress. Think about it. Sleep on it. Eventually, we will reach some common understanding. If we still disagree then OK. Not every story has a happy ending.

:laughing: I saw what you did there … but it appears to me that what has actually happened is that you ran out of words to say that same none discript thing…

Naaa… I have to spend SOME time working.

Sometime in the next few days maybe we can discuss this.

There are two parts of this that need elaboration.

1. whether THIS bill has that objective and
  2. whether we have ever supported the economic growth of other countries… especially.

@Ocasio2018 - I see where you are going with this (hand rubbing intensifies).

I accept reality and foreign trade is most certainly the constitutional responsibility of the federal gov’t.

Look we’ve already shown this to be a lie. You are free to buy what you want from whatever country you desire as long as it’s a legal product in the US.

Read the posted definition.

Feeble… very feeble…

A perfect description of your histrionic arguments here.

And yet you managed to refute nothing said by myself and other but with platitudes and short quips… and exactly nothing that proves your point.

Except for the facts which don’t support your claims.

You are free to buy whatever you want no matter where it’s manufactured as long as it’s a legal product in the US. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything from Israel.

We’ve provided you the summaries and text of the actual bill and it’s simply not there.

You are twisting words and the intent of the legislation. If you chose to buy a product but chose not to buy it from Israel and the government ties your refusal not to buy that product from Israel because you have objections that align with a foreign entity’s call for a boycott, you have potentially run afoul of the law. I just don’t know why that concept is so damn hard for some to understand. But then again, some people are argumentative just for the hell of it.

You’re just making things up that aren’t in the bill.

Again, read the definitions.

Your just talking in circles because you can’t go to the bill or the law it modifies and defend your position so you keep making meaningless statements.

Of course I can and have.

You can pull up any bill that has been presented in either house for the last century or more.

I’m just not wearing a tinfoil hat and suit when I read them. What you claim the bill does is simply not true, it isn’t in there.

So… in brief, as I am sure you would be anyway, what does the bill do and just as importantly what does it do in relation to the law that it modifies. See, I see these very same attitudes from people about provisions of the Patriot Act and NDAA… I here people say 'well, if you don’t do anything wrong, you should worry about the government snooping in your life trying to find something.