Basic Rights in the US

LOL :grin:

…

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Just some of the reasons every general practitioner we talked to and that our daughter shadowed in preparation for med school gave her the same advice, do not become a general practitioner, this isn’t what we got into medicine for. Fifteen minutes of talking to a patient, followed by 30 minutes of paperwork.

The best part is states like California with a 13.3% state income tax took money from their citizens and wrote it off on their Federal returns and the rest of the country subsidized Californias high taxes. Fortunately the tax cuts ended that travesty.

1 Like

Land, IP, healthcare. Everything.

So was theft…

I would counter that we need to bring other forms of intellectual property back down to the same level as patents. We should also permit flesh and blood Persons to hold patents somewhat longer, on application, than mere legal entities.

So what is your stance on IP? Do you have developed beliefs on it?

It belongs to the intellect. Or whoever paid him to think.

Not “intellectual theft”. Physical property in some capacity is universal, IP only developed in Europe. What’s more is that IP’s three main classes—patents, copyright, and trademark—were not originally unified and grew out of separate contexts.

Though I support it, I don’t think of IP as property. I reserve that word for tangible things. I also only ever speak of “IP infringement” and not “IP theft”.

That’s fine. For you. I have trained my whole life. I am paid to think. My thoughts are my property.

3 Likes

I mean what views do you have for each type? Do you support database rights? They only exist in Europe. What mask works? They’re neither patents nor copyrights, but they have some of the characteristics of both. Patents on genetic sequences and organisms. I support abolishing them where they exist and obstructing their creation where they don’t exist.

I just reserve the word “property” for physical stuff. That doesn’t devalue IP.

I don’t know anything about that.

People who invoke utilitarianism shouldn’t complain when it cuts in the other direction.

Come on Samson, read what you wrote with the eye of someone who did not write it. It’s funny. :smile:

There shouldn’t be anything shocking or funny about not liking incentivizing innovation or any other social welfare metric as a reason to support/oppose policy. It’s actually disgusting and when that kind of reasoning is used in support of policies, it dirties the good ones and compounds the immorality of the bad ones.

Utilitarian arguments are not wielded honestly. If they were, then the same people who make them should also be arguing for organ harvesting like Peter Singer does.

Why should government (your fellow tax payers) give you health care for free?

1 Like

Oh, lookie! Hi, Husker!