Another, bigger migrant caravan is set to leave from Honduras next month

That is true. I think though if it were Obama in office (or perish the thought Clinton) I highly doubt we’d see the same article.

We may not see the same “article”, but we would still see the gaping hole.

Our politicians have become so enamored in their positions that they forget they are dispensable. Why is that?

Because they keep getting re-elected no matter what they do?

Nancy Pelosi represents exactly how many people, yet in spite of the small amount of Americans she represents she now has power over the nation.

She was voted in by a small segment. Trump was voted in by the Nation.

Actually Trump was elected by the electoral college. If the nation had decided, Hillary would be in office right now. Conservatives in this country are grossly outnumbered anymore.

Hence the need for the Electoral College. I’m not sure of what your point is here.

Trump is the exception, not the rule. Every other politician in office WAS elected by the people. The ones who voted anyway.

And that’s IF we assume those elections weren’t rigged in their favor.

No, Trump isn’t the first to lose the popular vote and win the EC, he’s number 5 on the list.

Five presidents were elected after losing the popular vote.

• John Quincy Adams in 1824 (Andrew Jackson won the popular vote. Jackson also led in electoral vote but did not get the required majority so the House of Representatives decided the election.)

• Rutherford Hayes in 1876 (Samuel Tilden won the popular vote)

• Benjamin Harrison in 1888 ( incumbent president Grover Cleveland won the popular vote)

• George W. Bush in 2000 ( Al Gore won the popular vote.)

• Donald Trump in 2016 (Hilary Clinton won the popular vote).

Exception the rule? Yes, but not a complete anomaly. More than 10% of our presidents have lost the PV and won the vote in the EC.

Congress has owned this for over 40 years, it’s just coming to a head because Trump made it the central issue of his campaign.

Not remotely close to what I was saying. But thanks I guess?

My point is …

Nancy Pelosi holds the strings in the House and was elected by bat shit crazy people who do NOT represent America. She then was elected into her position by others in power.

Trump was elected by the Electoral college which does represent all Americans.

I think it is a bit more complex than a campaign promise.

Especially considering the Republicans sat on it for the last two years while they controlled the House and the Senate.

But now that they no longer control the House, now suddenly it’s important again. Kind of like repealing Obamacare. 60 something votes while Obama had his veto pen. 0 when Trump would have let it go through. It wouldn’t be nearly as sad if it wasn’t so transparent.

It’s really the biggest policy issue of his entire presidency. If they succeed in shutting him down on it, they get a huge political victory. If he succeeds, he’s handed them an epic failure and shown them to be ineffectual at best.

Deep down inside everyone know we need to secure the border and that effective physical barriers are a big part of that. The same “Democratic Leaders” fighting it today voted for it and promoted same for most of the last decade.

It’s all about undermining Trump and creating a permanent, dependent, underclass of democratic voters who will forever be dependent on gov’t.

That’s not entirely true Rose. Yes, they were going to fund it and they supported funding it but they had a huge caveat to go along with that funding that Republicans couldn’t swallow, otherwise we wouldn’t be having this discussion now as the funding would have happened already. As it was they held that funding hostage with a bitter pill they knew the Republicans wouldn’t swallow, because that’s what they always do.

They swear up and down they support it, but they really don’t. If they did, they wouldn’t tie it to something they know the other side will never agree to. Both sides play this game. It’s amazing that most people refuse to see it. Part of the reason for this, imo, is because instead of representing us, the people who want tighter controls on immigration, both parties are really reprensenting the people who want open borders. You say liberals but I think that’s just a smokescreen. Think about who wants to keep the current politicians in power. Think about who wants to maintain the status quo. It’s certainly not “we the people”, conservatives, liberals, libertarians, green party, or whatever else. That’s a lie that’s been perpetrated over and over again to keep us arguing amongst ourselves instead of holding our representatives accountable. The ones who sold us out thirty years ago and continue selling us out every chance they get. And why not, especially when we just let them?

3 Likes

Excellent points…

That’s my point. Were they lying then when they said they supported it and that it was a necessary part of securing the border or are they lying now when they say it’s immoral to put barriers between us and Mexico? Were they racists then for supporting it or are they lying now claiming that those who do are racists?

Uncontrolled immigration is having a devastating effect particularly in the border states when it comes to crime and the economy but somehow we’re to be demonized for openly stating we support this country first and foremost above our southern neighbors in this hemisphere.

How about lick your finger and stick it in the air to see which way the wind blows. That is the democrat litmus talking point test.

The majority of Americans understand the devastating effects of an unsecured border. It has been a frustrating “sticky wicket” for decades.

That this could not have been solved when we had both the House and the Senate speaks volumes as to how seriously our elected politicians disrespect those that voted them into office.

1 Like

Personally I think it says even more about whom they are beholding to for campaign donations.

A lot of republicans are pretty well held hostage by the national chambers of commerce who very much rely on the cheap labor illegals provide.

1 Like

UPDATE

TEGUCIGALPA (Reuters) - A new U.S.-bound caravan of Honduran migrants grew to nearly 1,000 people as it neared the Guatemalan border on Tuesday, a Honduran official said, while U.S. President Donald Trump seized on news of the group to try to drum up support for a border wall. Honduran Deputy Foreign Minister Nelly Jerez told reporters that there were between 800 and 1,000 people traveling together and headed toward the Agua Caliente border crossing into Guatemala. Television footage on Tuesday showed groups of mostly young men, carrying bags of belongings, leaving the notoriously violent Honduran city of San Pedro Sula and flagging down rides to catch up with the caravan that left the same city on Monday. The group will likely face weeks of travel to get to the U.S. border. Around 2,500 migrants from a previous wave of Central Americans who crossed Mexico have been camping in squalid shelters in the Mexican border city of Tijuana.

Trump backs off emergency order to end shutdown Trump has described the migrants as an invading force and sent troops to reinforce the border last year. On Monday, the Pentagon announced it would extend the deployment of around 2,350 troops to the U.S. border through the end of September. As a partial government shutdown dragged into its 25th day on Tuesday, Trump invoked the new caravan on Twitter to pressure U.S. lawmakers. Democrats have resisted Trump’s insistence that Congress shell out $5.7 billion for wall funding. “A big new Caravan is heading up to our Southern Border from Honduras,” Trump said. “Only a Wall, or Steel Barrier, will keep our Country safe! Stop playing political games and end the Shutdown!”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-caravan/u-s-bound-honduran-migrant-caravan-grows-as-trump-argues-for-wall-idUSKCN1P92KX

1 Like