Alabama governor signs near-total abortion ban

Sort of against the no exception for rape and incest, but a great move against the blatant pro-choice move of the coast.

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey just signed the state’s controversial near-total abortion ban. The new law is the most restrictive anti-abortion measure passed in the United States since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973.

The legislation — House Bill 314, “Human Life Protection Act” — bans all abortions in the state except when “abortion is necessary in order to prevent a serious health risk” to the woman, according to the bill’s text. It criminalizes the procedure, reclassifying abortion as a Class A felony, punishable by up to 99 years in prison for doctors. Attempted abortions will be reclassified as a Class C penalty.

The legislation makes no exceptions for victims or rape or incest.

“Today, I signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act,” Ivey wrote in a statement Wednesday evening. “To the bill’s many supporters, this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians’ deeply held belief that every life is precious & that every life is a sacred gift from God.”

Alabama’s ban is the latest in an onslaught of state-level anti-abortion measures that activists hope will be taken up by the Supreme Court and potentially overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that protects a woman’s right to the procedure.

Last week, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed into law the state’s so-called “fetal heartbeat” bill, a measure that will prohibit abortions after a heartbeat is detected in an embryo, which is typically five to six weeks into a pregnancy, and before most women know that they’re pregnant. The state was the sixth to pass such a law, and the fourth this year alone.

In previous years the Supreme Court declined to hear such cases. But a new ideological makeup on the nation’s highest court, including the recent appointment of conversative Justice Brett Kavanaugh, has emboldened anti-abortion activists to try again.

Abortion rights advocates have promised to challenge Alabama’s controversial legislationlong before November, when the law is scheduled to be implemented.

“We vowed to fight this dangerous abortion ban every step of the way and we meant what we said,” said Staci Fox, president and chief executive officer of Planned Parenthood Southeast, in a statement emailed to CBS News on Wednesday. “We haven’t lost a case in Alabama yet and we don’t plan to start now.”

But the bill’s sponsor, Rep. Terri Collins, said that’s the point. The state lawmaker called the bill a “direct attack” on Roe v. Wade and anticipates that the bill will be contested by abortion rights advocates, like the ACLU, and potentially make its way to the high court.

“The heart of this bill is to confront a decision that was made by the courts in 1973 that said the baby in the womb is not a person,” Collins said last week when the Alabama House debated the legislation. “This bill addresses that one issue. Is that baby in the womb a person? I believe our law says it is.”

The governor’s signature comes less than 24 hours after the Senate passed the controversial law, sparking outrage far beyond Alabama’s state lines. Nearly every 2020 Democratic presidential candidate weighed in to condemn the legislation. In an interview Wednesday with Sirius XM’s Joe Madison Show, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker called the measure a “frontal assault on women’s reproductive rights, on women’s freedom and liberty.”

“Not only am I 100 percent against it, but it makes me double down on my determination frankly to become president of the United States and make sure that we pass the kind of federal laws that prevent the erosion of women’s rights,” Booker said.

Alabama state lawmakers also compare abortions in the U.S. to the Holocaust and other modern genocides in the legislation, prompting ■■■■■■ activists and abortion rights groups to rebuke the legislation as “deeply offensive.”

During the debate leading up to the vote on Tuesday evening, Senate Minority Leader Bobby Singleton proposed an amendment that would have carved out an exception for victims of rape and incest. During debate he introduced three women who were victims of rape and told his colleagues, “They didn’t ask for what they got. It happened. And now they’re having to live with it.”

The amendment ultimately failed, with 21 senators voting against the rape and victim exception and 11 voting in favor of it.

Republican Sen. Clyde Chambliss argued that the ban was still fair to victims of rape and incest because those women would still be allowed to get an abortion “until she knows she’s pregnant,” a statement that garnered a mixture of groans and cackles from the chamber’s gallery.

“In a state that has some of the worst health outcomes for women in the nation-such as the highest rate of cervical cancer – Alabama is putting women’s lives at an even greater risk,” said Dr. Leana Wen, President of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, in a statement emailed to CBS News on Tuesday night. “Politicians who say they value life should advocate for policies to solve the public health crises that are killing women, not dismantle what little access to health care Alabamians have left.”

I am sure they are hoping it will go all the way to the Supreme Court and reverse Roe vs. Wade. It is going to be a long 2019.

Not a problem they can just wait until the full term and head to NY , there they will KILL the thing and think nothing of it . :grimacing:

Sadly, I don’t think this will prevent abortions. Those who can afford it will go elsewhere and those who can’t will risk their lives with back street butchers.

1 Like

Valid point, but from now on people in Alabama and other states will think twice about forgoing the condoms / pills, bc now there is restricted access to abortion.

I’m glad to see the laws going in the right direction on this issue but Alabama, as one of the fattest, dumbest, blackest, and least educated states, is probably the last state that should be encouraging reproduction. Just being honest.

• Prohibition did not stop liquor sales
  • Marijuana laws do not stop pot sales
  • Gun laws do not stop criminals from obtaining and using guns

*** and guess what!

Alabama lawmakers are just as stupid as are California lawmakers…they just lean the other way.

• Abortion laws will not stop abortions
1 Like

And slavery laws do not stop slavery.

Yet I’m positive you are grateful that we have slavery laws all the same. Amirite?

Never fear. Clinics will pop up right outside the borders of Alabama like convenience stores.

A Soros type fund will be set up for transportation if you can’t afford to get there on your own. :wink:

It sounds like you are joking, but you are probably not far off the truth. I can’t really give an opinion on this as I can see it is a lose lose situation however you look at it. I am pro life, but also pro women’s and pro teenage girls’ lives. I do think though that you see both extremes in America. Can’t there just be something in the middle?

Of course I am. I don’t believe in slavery at all. However, many nations practice slavery of some sort. I even consider the shirt makers in third world countries, working by the piece and for pennies, to be slaves to their employers.

I doubt this will happen. They’ll have to farther than the first state line, unless they go south. With Mississippi on one side, Georgia on the other, and Tennessee above, there’s only Florida offering a ray of hope.

We all know the deal:

26 white GOP men in Alabama moved to make abortion almost entirely Illegal. The white female governor, decades past child-bearing age, has signed the legislation.

Their play is transparent:

These 25 guys figure that establishing the law that becomes the test case that kills Roe will cement their pro-life bona fides with the peasantry.

But these rural yahoos never understood that the grey beards in the GOP never wanted to win the abortion fight, they just wanted a perennial non-issue to rally the peasants and thus distract them from their misery.

The grey beards know that by juicing low-information voters with with the mantra “abortion is murder” they can motivate millions to the polls. It’s a brilliant piece of social manipulation.

But the grey beards also know that undoing Roe will lead to gazillions if stories like this:

High School Valedictorian and Cheerleading Capt. Bleeds to Death in Botched Knitting Needle Abortion

Nancy Smith, the Clanton High School Valedictorian and captain of the cheerleading squad was pronounced dead on arrival at the regional hospital.

Dr. Jones, who treated Miss Smith on her arrival to the ER, said the cause of death was a hemorrhage caused by Miss Smith’s attempt to terminate her own pregnancy.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been finalized. Miss Smith’s parents request that in lieu of flowers contributions be made to “The Purity Ring Foundation for Adolescent Chastity.” Miss Smith, before her death, was president of the Clanton chapter of TPRFFAC.

1 Like

Feotus viability is outdated. It should be 21 weeks, coming down all the time.

What sits in the middle of this entire issue is the life of every baby that gets aborted.

When the life of the mother (teenage or otherwise) is at risk, the principles of self defense are entirely valid, and should apply without saying, when it comes to any restriction on abortion – even an outright ban.

Your post to which I previously replied derided laws that are destined to get broken – implying that such laws shouldn’t exist.

Slavery laws are in the same boat, but “Of course you are” grateful they exist.

The fact that a law will be broken is not a reason to oppose it.

And nothing of value was lost.

I was thinking of far more counselling and proactive help for the mother. Would it not be better to persuade someone to keep a pregnancy than to outright ban them aborting? That would just make them go elsewhere and the baby would be aborted anyway. So no babies saved. Makes me think this whole law isn’t really about saving babies. Some virtual signalling perhaps? I don’t know.

I didn’t intend that inference, if that is what you made of it.

I would oppose another prohibition law as I think it unconstitutional and unenforceable. I support DUI laws and often wonder why bars are allowed to have parking lots.

I would oppose a law legalizing slavery as I consider it unconstitutional and immoral.

I support legalization of marijuana simply because it is a naturally growing weed and has medicinal value. I do support laws to punish those that harm others while under the influence (same as with alcohol).

I’m pro-life and believe that life begins at conception, but do not oppose abortions where rape or incest is the cause of the pregnancy…as long as they are carried out early. Late term and post-birth abortions are nothing short of murder. Alabama’s new law ridiculously has no exceptions.

I do not support many gun laws, though I have no problem with bans on bump stocks or other modification to make a semi-automatic work like a full auto weapon. (I can make an AR-15 fire like an automatic using only one finger and a belt loop.) The capacity of magazines should not be limited. (I’m about 2 weeks away from buying a Glock 9mm pistol with 17+1 capacity.)

There are two laws that I frequently and knowingly ignore. One is carrying in even when I see a sign that says NO FIREARMS. The other is a posted speed limit when the ambient traffic is going faster. (It is safer to go with the flow.)