Advertisements and Donations

I noticed that there are some advertisements on the site? I thought that the goal was to keep this community ad free so that our speech doesn’t get restricted by the terms and conditions of advertisers. What’s going on?

I have them on my mobile as well. I haven’t checked on the desktop.

Is there any way I can make them go away? I’m new. Don’t care. I’ll pay. I just do not want to see ads.

1 Like

My guess is that donations have slacked off. I know that I haven’t donated since we moved over here. It’s not because I don’t appreciate the space, I just didn’t put it on my list of things to do. My sincerest apologies in that regard.

2 Likes

Sorry everyone, I am experimenting with deploying advertisements as per @Patriot. I’m still learning so bear with me on how this works.

I know no one on our side of things wants to actually deploy ads but y’all have decided to not donate even a penny in months. That’s fine, and no one is required to donate money to use the site; however, if people don’t want to donate then they are just going to have to deal with ads. It’s pretty simple. That’s just how the internet works now.

@Patriot is letting me figure out how to get these things fitting right on the site. It’s up to him if these ads stay on or not. If they do stay on, then they will be displayed on the header of the site, on the footer of the site, and there will be an ad on every 4th post of a thread.

3 Likes

I slacked too. My bad.

I’m happy to tell you that I’ve done my part to help your cause by clicking on the ■■■■■ lingerie ad

Ha! You know those ads are based on stuff you’ve been looking up and have been searching for right?

Here’s what I’ve been looking up lately:

Yep - we are setting up a few subscription and donation options that will remove the ads based on contribution level / type.

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I haven’t donated but some of us old bastards don’t know how to donate with a QR code (Nor would I like to know as I don’t trust it!) and I damn sure don’t know anything about bitcoin. :smiley:

If you want better donations, I’d recommend a link where it’s secure pay, just avoid the commies at Paypal. :stuck_out_tongue: I understand there are costs and I don’t mind contributing though.

2 Likes

I got you covered @Texashusker - don’t worry. Fully automated and simple. I just tested out the integration and everything is working. I’m not crazy about the organization but they make it easy to integrate subscriptions there with user identities here. I am building out a top-level menu, but here you go. Fire and forget. Ads will stay off so long as the subscription is active.

I also kept all information on Patreon private.

If you decide to donate, please be sure to use the email that you use here.

https://www.patreon.com/politicalbullpen

3 Likes

So where is the donation option to be found? And are you saying that it is absolutely secure??

We are working on building a link into the top level menu. That takes a little time because we have to make sure everything fits and aligns perfectly otherwise things can break.

However, the link to turn off the ads is directly above your post. Just follow the link and be sure to use the email that you use here when signing up.

Patreon is a massive crowdfunding operation. They use 2042 RSA encryption for transactions. @Patriot has hidden all transaction data on the page so no one can see the identities of who has signed up.

1 Like

So it sounds like you’re saying that the means to donate is not fully established yet, and that when it is, and we donate, our transactions will be secure???

She’s talking about needing to put a dedicated link in the menu. The donating piece is up and running. Even showed you where the link was and explained that it is a big company that is handling the subscriptions. Dang how much hand holding do you need?

https://www.patreon.com/politicalbullpen

1 Like

Save your snark for somewhere else. I don’t see any links in KVN’s thread, and she told me that they are WORKING on it. To me, that sounds like it’s an unfinished project.

Can you at least keep your smack talk in a debate thread…:roll_eyes:

Hi @montecresto1 - I mentioned last night that the service is up and running and included the sign-up link with instructions. Your post was right below mine which is why Kelly didn’t post the link again. No need to spam the thread with it. The service is provided by Patreon and is integrated with Political Bullpen. When you sign-up the ads are removed. It is important to use the email that you use here when signing up at Patreon.

The only thing I have left to do is to fit a link in on the desktop homepage menu. The mobile menu is easy to add to. We have space limitations to contend with but that is not a showstopper. I hope that helps.

Thank you…:+1:

pm sent

1 Like

I thought it was on my end and downloaded a adblocker! Unfortunately that is not doing the trick! Ugh!

1 Like

That’s kind of messed up. I mean I get the point. No one likes looking at ads but if people aren’t donating then the site needs to make money somehow or it goes away. Publicly admitting that you are blocking ads seems kinda rude. It’s like you’re saying you don’t even want to give a few cents to a place that you frequently use. Maybe I read your comment the wrong way but something about it just didn’t sit right with me.