Actor Robert Conrad Passes Away

RIP Robert Conrad.

Not a great actor in my opinion, but his TV show “Baa Baa Black Sheep” was the reason why I got to meet the real Major “Pappy” Boyington and inspire my deep admiration for the F4U Corsair and Aviation in general.

https://youtu.be/3pvzA6-tSqE

1 Like

I grew up loving The Wild Wild West and Baa Baa Blacksheep as well.

Not a great actor for sure but by all accounts a very decent man.

Hopefully the afterlife treats him well.

5 Likes

A decent man. God Give Him Rest.

1 Like

Have several of the shows that my oldest grandson and I watch. He developing a strong interest in aviation because of it.

2 Likes

I already had a strong interest in aviation before the series even started so you can probably well imagine it only pushed me into overdrive.

I met him several years ago at the Redding Ca. Airport. His left arm was was paralyzed and he had some trouble speaking but he had a big smile on his face when three age groups said they loved his acting for different roles over a number of years. I’m glad we could make him smile.

2 Likes

Gotta add – the F4U corsair was my favorite WWII fighter – possibly the best of the war. Favorite jet is the F4 Phantom. Saw some scramble few times bout dusk at Da nang. Lit the torch at the end of roll out and up like a rocket – beautiful.

2 Likes

One of my favorite demonstration videos of the Corsair.

2 Likes

My favorite is the P-51 Mustang, but the Corsair F4U is easily a rival for me.

Fun video with a little eye candy at the end.

1 Like

Great commercial! Definitely two of the most beautiful prop planes built. Old WWII pilots have told me the hot rod of choice was the P51. Think they just liked it’s looks. Competitive wise the Thunderbolt (jug) ain’t no slouch. Have seen all them in the air – they all wonderful to watch and listen to!

2 Likes

The Corsair and the Lightning have always been my favorites.

The British Mosquito earns a place of honor as well.

Being a grunt though the A-26 and B-25G probably earn the most respect due to their close air support roles.

The B-25G carried the largest gun of any aircraft in history until the AC-130 came out equipped with the 90mm cannon.

1 Like

You obviously know a great deal of the aircraft and history of the big war. P 38 also my second favorite. Its fascinating the difference in aircraft, air tactics, mission demands and innovations between the European theater and the Pacific theater.

:thinking: I better watch myself – taking this thread off track.

Whistling Death!

1 Like

Ever read the story of the P 38 strike that took out Yamamoto? Very interesting…

I must have had 15 or 20 models of the F4U throughout my life. One was balsa strips covered with thin paper, painted and ready for a motor and radio that I never bought. (The model was so precious to me, I didn’t want to risk crashing it. Later it was crushed when a full gallon can of paint fell off a shelf.)

1 Like

One of my other favorite planes is the Catalina PBY

Here is a take off from water. Truly one of the most versatile planes ever built for the war.

1 Like

I found this gem!

Yep, one of the most incredible missions of the war. Imagine trying to plan a mission like that requiring so much precision timing and finding two planes flying alone in all that sky without either ground or aerial radar and no people on the ground giving you real time intel on it’s movement.

1 Like

An absolutely amazing aircraft serving in an incredible number or roles with a few still in service today.