3D Printed AR-15 .22 Caliber Upper

When I first printed it I had no idea if it would work, so I was glad to find out that it did. The first one broke after several trips to the range at a total of about 450 rounds. The point of failure was the holes for the takedown pins.image

" I printed this on an anycubic i3 mega 3D printer which cost about $300 I used PETG filament for the upper, but I believe PLA would work just as well."

" I decided to change the orientation I print the upper on the printer to strengthen that area, so I printed it vertical. That fixed the problem, and I have since printed another for use in a rifle platform (still .22lr)"

It should be noted that an AR15 upper is not a controlled item under ATF regulations.

Right - you can just order them and have them shipped to the house. It’s pretty cool that a 3D printed upper took that kind of abuse, but it was only from a .22.

It’s only a matter of time before the right polymers come along and when they do the 3D printed firearms will be just as durable as those made from metal.

You can buy a stripped upper for around $50. This is neat, that you can program a 3D printer to build one, but I don’t see the point.

Buckyballs.

1 Like

I think the next great step forward in material science is going to be a combination of polymers, epoxy, ceramics, and metals.

We can now or in the near future print our own uppers and lowers and that is a good thing .

Getting closer every day on the uppers. Right now you could conceivably make one with metal inserts for the locking pins that should last a very long time.

How many $50 uppers would you have to print to pay for your 3D printer? :wink:

If they were to become banned items not very many because the price would skyrocket.

AR uppers are pretty worthless without lowers.

In which case they too would skyrocket in price immediately.

3-D printed lowers haven’t proven to be a problem, it’s been the uppers that have serious issues with reliability.

I was not aware that reliable lowers had been printed.

Yep, a couple of years ago. The problem has been the uppers because of all of the moving mass and pressures.

There are now some out there that have run well enough to last more than a thousand rounds.

What a brilliant idea. All some nutcase needs to do is buy a 3D printer and then he can print as many guns as he likes? Please feel free to correct me if I’ve got that wrong? It’s so crazy that I can’t help thinking I’ve missed something.

Good or bad it’s reality and there’s nothing we can do about it which is why bans can’t accomplish a thing.

Whatever a ‘lower’ is, I’m sure it’ll only be a matter of time before they can be printed.

They have been available for several years now.

Congrats on again demonstrating though that you don’t even have a basic understanding of what’s being discussed.

According to the thread title we’re discussing the 3D printing of guns aren’t we?