Your Afterlife vs My Afterlife - History, Culture, and Religion as One

My point wasn’t so much about Christianity as it was about the rich and well educated being in charge of the rest of us. The church of the middle ages where the clergy learned to read and write in Latin so the poor peasants had only the word of the chosen to go off of for instance. Fast forward to today where we have laws written in legal jargon only lawyers can understand.

1 Like

Imagine that. lol :wink:

"Why does not the Pope, whose wealth is today greater than the wealth of the richest Crassus, build this one basilica of St. Peter with his own money rather than with the money of poor believers?‘’

–Martin Luther

1 Like

Are we though?

Depending on which perspective, one might view us as the ultimate goal of the Big Bang, in which we - measured and modeled by the constants of reality - have become the very universe observing itself.

There’s an ancient wisdom pertaining to that, “As Above, So Below.”

And then the believers distort the meaning of their religion into hate and violence.

Amen!

And what references fo you use for time from 5000 years ago? Where is the scientific document? Where is any proof?
Did they hav a rolex to tell time?

Did they have a calendar that everyone agreed on 5000 years ago?

Well that is more a product of the post modernist construct. When science replaced religion as the center of society (Darwin) is when the post modernist age was ushered in to which brought with it a whole another way of thinking! Not always good mind you!

He stated previously that it was the study of astronomy that was the basis in which time was measured.

And that is proven everyday.

Here’s one of my references:

The Sphinx faces due east and is the first to cast its gaze on the rising sun of the vernal equinox.

The Sphinx is half lion, half man. The Age of Leo is associated with a Lion, and exactly halfway around the zodiac “clock” is the Age of Aquarius, which is associated with Angels/humanoids.

Every 26,000 years or so, that same sphinx, if still standing, will again watch the constellation of Leo rise above the horizon just before the sun rises on the vernal equinox.

All of this is in direct relation to the Earth’s rotation, revolution around the sun, and axial precession, which is knowledge that goes back before Gobekli Tepe.

We can also add the moon in for further timekeeping references, and comets, and supernovae, etc…

As far as what a “day” or a “year” was literally defined as, who cares? Such words are meaningless when the measurements were there already.

Right! Like producing the means to pathological altruism or where truth and reality suddenly no longer can be objectified to a common understanding. Society as a whole has been highly compartmentalized with identity politics, tribal concoctions to further a certain interest. ETC.!

1 Like

People cannot seem to grasp, that today isn’t like 100, 1000, 5000 years ago.

There were no standards that were the agreed upon, standards like we employ today.

A document saying that the world is 5K years old is wrong by todays standards yet may be entirely correct by yesterdays standards. Throw in the reality that the document was interpreted, interpreted, language changes, reinterpreted and then you have the document today.

Tell someone a story and they tell the next one and it goes around the riot and when it gets back to the original person they story has changed. Throw in politics, religion and they story gets worse with every telling.

Like the three headed monster! It probably originally had one head, but through out the ages as the story was handed down from generation to generation and was retold millions of times, somewhere along the line the embellishment of the story started and grew and now as a result we have the “Three Headed Monster”. Of course this is just an analogy but its pretty much the same point.

1 Like

You don’t even have to go back that far in time.

Some of was acceptable in the 1980’s is “wrong” by today’s standards.

1 Like

I’d be interested to see what a beast with, “one foot in the ocean and one foot on land” would do to the rotation and wobble of Earth’s axis. Sounds big. lol

1 Like

That is an interesting concept and in past thoughts I have ponder on this perspective in a passing meditation. So nice to revisit it again and further that thread of thought. Currently its a little fragmented, as I was just contemplating your original question when you started this thread and from some statements from others here has me meditating more as to answer your question in more clearer terms.

I equate my beliefs with a combination of many religious ideologies that I have experienced and have evolved through the course of my living existence, (Lived Experience) and I always come back to Indra’s Net, influenced by Constanenda, Carl Jung, Christianity, Buddhism Shamanism, Wiccan, as achieving the ultimate goal to be with the “one” a non substantiated reality, the dream state. We repeat many life times in order to learn what it is we need to learn before moving to the next step. Sometimes we are condemned to repeat again until that lesson is learned, but each time a higher consciousness is attained until eventually we can voluntarily leave our physical bodies where the cycle of sufferings of birth and death has ended. Suffer we must for it is through our sufferings that we are able to attain our newer understandings of how life is connected. (Indra’s Net).

1 Like

I like your portfolio of spirituality almost as much as I appreciate it when people form their beliefs through introspection and external experience. Very well rounded.

While I am most closely associated in terms of religious convictions to the teachings of Christ (not his crybaby, back-stabbing, God-denying disciples, just Him), I recognize that in the grander scheme of things, Christians are just young children in an elderly world.

It is certainly one of my sufferings to bear in my current manifestation, but I also completely agree about the word, “suffering” and all its glorious inclusions.

I am married, so I have marriage suffering.
If I were single, I’d have single suffering instead.

I am not rich, so I have poor man’s suffering.
If I were rich, I’d have rich man’s suffering instead.

But just because I suffer, it does not mean I cannot also enjoy the challenge of suffering. The worse things get, the better it feels when they finally improve.

1 Like

What makes you so sure there is an afterlife /reincarnation?

This question ranks as profound as, “Why are we here?” in my book. It’s a painful question to consider, and a necessary one.

1 Like

From a personal experience I had many years ago!