Worst measles outbreak in decades sweeps New York as cases surge in Oregon, Washington and abroad

Exactly. “Your freedom ends where mine begins”.

That would involve State laws, would it not? Have I raised any protest against State laws? Granted, these must be themselves pursuant to the specific State Constitution … but that still is a distinct matter from the federal Constitution I have mentioned.

The reason we Boomers got vaccinated and had our own children vaccinated (in spite of being anti-establishment,) was that most of us suffered from the gamut of childhood diseases. The kids having kids today have no experience wth those diseases so don’t understand how important immunization of the herd is to prevent general outbreaks. Maybe a few epidemics and the tragic loss of a bunch of children will wake them up.

1 Like

Perhaps you’re right as well as many people were military and they love vaccinations specially of your deployed over seas.

Today people have not ben subjected to the standard childhood diseases as well as fewer are volunteers in the military.

Maybe a few serious outbreaks involving thousand will get the millennial attention.

Measles is no joke and parents who have healthy kids who refuse to get them vaccinated are endangering everyone.

We had both Mumps and The German Measles when I was a kid and both were painful and tough to get through.

3 Likes

With most diseases 85% is the magic number. If the vaccinated population falls below that, you lose herd immunity and widespread outbreaks become likely.

Worse, once they start particularly with viruses the mutations can occur so quickly that the existing vaccines no longer work and the entire herd then is at risk.

2 Likes

Joke, apparently you don’t quite get sarcasm.

The reasons we are having the probes are:

1. Failure of parents to inoculate their children from the diseases.
  2. Allowing people that have not been inoculated into the country.

2016 marks the first time in 23 years that the incidence of TB has increased. It was pretty much eradicated from the US but has mysteriously re appeared.

TuberculosisMap2

Well look where the major increases are happening.

What do they have in common???TuberculosisMap2

It’s no mystery, it has commonly come into the US from the Mexican border.

1 Like

I’m looking for them to be stripped of their choice to not vaccinate. Why should they get the choice to spread diseases to the hands that feed them?

Actually I didn’t mean it that way at all. People dismiss these “old diseases” because most of them have never seen an outbreak or had i themselves.

I can guarantee you that mumps in adults can get very serious especially in men if the disease decides to localize in your testicle! they can swell up the size of softballs and leave you sterile and even if they don’t you’ll endure two weeks of unimaginable pain while the swelling only very slowly goes down.

TB has also recurred as a result of HIV becoming AIDS. Tuberculosis is an opportunistic infection stemming from HIV antibody levels dropping.

Again, may I have proof of failure to vaccinate among immigrants? Seems relatively few countries in the map I posted had vaccination rates of 0-59%.

Don’t some if these locales have thriving gay communities? Here’s TB with relation to HIV:

https://www.tbfacts.org/tb-hiv/

As I said, I don’t give a rat’s ass about their freedom of choice on this matter, either. :wink:

It is absolute selfish stupidity at it’s finest on their part.

1 Like

You should try and prove that little bit of wisdom

Why the Increase?

Cases of tuberculosisdropped rapidly in the 1940s and 1950s when the first effective antibiotic treatments for tuberculosis were introduced. In 1985, however, the decline ended and the number of active tuberculosiscases in the United States began to rise again. Several factors, often interrelated, were behind the return of tuberculosis, including:

• People of many nationalities immigrating to the United States
  • Increased poverty, IV drug use, and homelessness
  • Failure of patients to take all prescribed antibiotics for tuberculosis (poor compliance)
  • Increased numbers of residents in long-term care.

Immigration

Increased numbers of foreign-born nationals come from places where many cases of tuberculosis occur, such as Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Tuberculosis cases among foreign-born nationals currently living in the United States account for more than half of the U.S. total.

Increased Poverty, IV Drug Use, and Homelessness

TB transmission is rampant in crowded shelters and prisons where people weakened by poor nutrition, drug addiction, and alcoholism are exposed to M. tuberculosis .

Poor Compliance

TB patients who do not complete TB drug treatment can stay infectious for longer periods of time, and, therefore, can spread TB to more people. In addition, treatment failures may result in M. tuberculosis strains that are resistant to one or more of the standard medicines given to TB patients, making the disease much more difficult to treat.

I did find a note relating to HIV however it attributes infection with a diminished immune system.

Must … not … post … clip from Johnny Dangeriously…

1 Like

https://www.bing.com/search?q=incidence+of+tb+by+world+map&qs=HS&sk=PRES1&sc=5-0&cvid=982D33D009CB4997A99019FEE334E7F9&FORM=QBLH&sp=1

Which countries are sending a lot of immigrants legally? TB exposure is part of a physical exam to become a lawful permanent resident.

It was also, when I worked at a V A clinic, a yearly test requirement for employees. As many immigrants from various African countries & the Indian Subcontinent will test positive, those employees whose screening was positive did not have to repeat it yearly, unlike those of us who tested negative. Most likely it wouldn’t go active and give it to them again.

IMO it is more 1). The acceptance of male-male sex and failure of those infected to use condoms or refrain, 2). Non compliance by those infected as far as taking meds, and 3). Homelessness that are contributing to the spread of TB than legal immigration.

Oh, and weren’t there at one time sanitariums to isolate TB patients so they couldn’t spread their infection to others?

Well NY want illegals that were never checked for diseases and those turd World Countries have so many diseases we cure 50 years ago . Welcome to sanctuary !!!

I guess nature has a way to weed out the weaklings; or those too stupid to be immunized. What’s really scary is, although smallpox has “supposedly” been eradicated; but if an outbreak did occur, it would be difficult to produce vaccines quickly; and since the ( I believe ) 80s, vaccinations against small pox have been stopped. I’m old and good. I was vaccinated. And I bet people in the loop & their families are being vaccinated. I could be wrong; but who knows. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- After smallpox was eliminated from the world, routine vaccination against smallpox among the general public was stopped because it was no longer needed. However, because of concern that variola virus might be used as an agent of bioterrorism, the U.S. government has stockpiled enough smallpox vaccine to vaccinate everyone who would need it if a smallpox outbreak were to occur.

When there is NO smallpox outbreak, you should get the smallpox vaccine if you:

• Are a lab worker who works with virus that causes smallpox or other viruses that are similar to it.

If you need long-term protection, you may need to get booster vaccinations regularly. To stay protected from smallpox, you should get booster vaccinations every 3 years.

When there IS a smallpox outbreak, you should get the smallpox vaccine if you:

• Are directly exposed to smallpox virus. For example, if you had a prolonged face-to-face contact with someone who has smallpox.

CDC works with federal, state, and local officials to prepare for a smallpox outbreak. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NOW THE SCARY PART: If there is a smallpox outbreak, public health officials will say who else should get the vaccine.

No, it would be stripping them of their First Amendment Rights.

At one time there were such sanitariums but they were not mandatory. People would routinely move out west for the drier air which helped with the disease and so lots of such sanitariums opened up in the west.

TB is not a highly contagious disease so just normal protective measures protect against transmission pretty effectively.