What I Miss On This Site

There isn’t a line. That’s the point. It’s when we pretend (or believe) that there is a line that we begin to give up this most basic and fundamental freedom that our founders sought to protect first.

Sure, one can argue that such a restriction (or the lack thereof) is only applicable to government and the restrictions that government can impose on a citizen; however, it’s when the citizen demands that such restrictions be passed by the government, or imposed by citizens on their fellow citizens, that the government is all too often more than willing to oblige. Of all the slopes one could find themselves on, the restriction of speech is the most slippery.

There is speech that we all find disgusting and that we disagree with. I would venture to guess that those with whom we disagree feel the same about elements of our speech or beliefs. Such is the way of life. Banning someone or restricting their speech doesn’t solve anything. In fact, it further cements the view of the person being censored. In some cases, it justifies it. Think about all of those conservatives banned from Facebook or Twitter simply for expressing their sincerely held political views. Those people are only banned because the extreme left has figured out that if you complain to advertisers about being offended, the advertiser will usually clamp down and demand the subjective offense be removed. The lawyers then step in and work with the policy teams to eliminate the risk of losing advertising revenue…and voila…you have a social media war on conservatives. Should we behave like that when we hear something we don’t like? There are no advertisers here. No lawyers. No policy teams. Just us. There aren’t many places like this anymore. I view this as providing a service. I know there has been some talk of withholding donations until I bend the knee and ban people for saying offensive things. That’s fine. I’m not going to budge on my principles for a few dollars. I’ll gladly foot the bill.

Now, onto the practical matter. What should be hidden because as @Ash said there are things that are known to be site killers. There have been some posts in poor taste, but has the line been crossed yet? That’s debatable. As the posts in question are far from the majority of content created and crawled. Now, that doesn’t mean that a solution isn’t required. A baseline comes first. That’s where we are now.

We have only been here a few months, folks.

8 Likes

In a nutshell… There it is and I could not agree more with you. One can agree and support or one can disagree and is free to express disagreement or ignore. As distasteful as it is to one side or another, Freedom of Speech IS a fundamental right that we have spent blood and treasure on to protect.

Right now, that freedom of speech is being eroded day by day. I find the censorship more repugnant than what has been said that I take might take offense to.

From what little I know of you? I figured you wouldn’t bend a knee. Nor should you. Quite frankly nor would I. For some, integrity and vision comes first and cannot be bought. Good for you, Patriot.

You have my support. Let me know how I can help and keep supporting you and what you stand for.

3 Likes

Freedom to be a racist turd.
Freedom to speak out against racism.
Freedom to ignore people.
Freedom to be ignored.

Freedom is messy. Choices appear easy. Outcomes are inevitable.

2 Likes