Watch company Egard responds to Gillette's 'toxic masculinity' ad with video that celebrates men

The counter offensive begins.

A watch company has created a video called “What Is a Man?” in response to Gillette’s recent ad. The shaving company’s commercial sparked a controversy because many people found it to be insulting and condescending to men.

Egard Watch CEO Ilan Srulovicz told the Conservative Tribune he wanted to make a video that would uplift men and illustrate the beauty of true masculinity. He also told the news outlet he wanted to show some statistics about men that are often ignored.

“We see the good in men,” the video states.

“I, like the overwhelming majority of men, am absolutely disgusted by sexual assault, rape, bullying, so why throw it in my face as if my ‘gender’ as a whole is toxic,” Srulovicz told the Conservative Tribune. “Using terms like ‘toxic masculinity’ etc … is using too broad a stroke to address specific issues … issues which I agree, very much need to be addressed.”

Gillette’s ad invoked the MeToo movement and showed scenes of gender discrimination, sexual harassment and bullying. The reaction was heated, but it earned millions of views on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. The ad appeared amid the company’s struggles with revenue and growing competition from other company’s, the Associated Pressreported. The news outlet also called it an appeal to reach a younger audience.

Gillette’s ad may have had some good intentions, but it missed the mark, Srulovicz said.

Reinforcing the positive things about men is more effective than bashing men, he said.

“…The best way to do that is to show the best of us, not the worst,” he wrote in an email to the news outlet.

“When I see a man risking his life running in to a burning building, it makes me want to be better. When I see a father who will stand by his kids no matter what, it makes me want to be better. When I see a soldier putting everything on the line to preserve my freedom, I want to be better.”

“That’s what a man is to me and they represent a far greater majority of men than what Gillette portrayed a man to be.”

What are some of the challenges men face?

Srulovicz video also cites figures from Bureau of Labor Statistics:

• Men make up 93 percent of workplace fatalities.
  • Men represent more than 97 percent of war fatalities.
  • 79 percent of homicide victims are male.
  • Men make up 80 percent of suicide victims.
  • 75 percent of homeless people are men.

Bonus vid:

1 Like

Not sure why it’s the responsibility of corporations advertising products & services to give ANY social message.

Stopped buying Secret deodorant before the election, when they started with that ridiculous ad with the young woman in the Ladies’ Room rehearsing her speech to “ask for the same pay as the new guy.”

Now Gillette decides to bash the entire male gender as a bunch of on the job sexual harassers, thugs & rapists? In all fairness there is a “toxic femininity ad, but why should Gillette be advertising anything but hygiene products? How are message ads going to increase their sales?

That’s what is so appealing about advertising on Portuguese & Spanish language radio. An announcer describes any number of businesses, from bodegas and restaurants to legal services, then let’s you know days and hours, phone numbers & addresses to learn more.

No gimmicks, slogans or hidden messages. Just straight up, here’s what you may want to try & where & when to find it.

Some more mainstream advertisers may want to try that strategy.

Gillette: Men must stop objectifying women. Be a better man. Also Gillette: LOOK AT THESE GIRL’S ASSES!!!

bq-5c3fca068dedc

3 Likes

No more Gillette razors for me, or any other of their products. Go be a liberal without my money. What a bunch of pillowbiters.

1 Like

625hx7aj18b21

2 Likes

This isn’t an attack on bullying or sexual assault, but a smear and attack on masculinity per se. Gillette has taken sides in a gender war against its own customer base.

This is not marketing shaving products. It is agenda driven anti male propaganda. The video ad montage is an explicit attack on all the unique actions and energies that make us men. It has nothing to do with actual bullying or sexual assault.

1 Like

They are targeting the new demographic of the nu-male soybois

hSIy4Hg

3dc

1 Like

Why do I get the impression that these people are trying their best to look like goats?

1 Like

Hey%20Gillette

3 Likes

Gillette: good razors … for those men who shave their legs.

2 Likes

ot_%20(1)

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/PolishPatriotTM/status/1087449650737614848

1 Like

Your video mutes at the middle (for me, at least)

Hey… I got a can of that!
Dayum!
That is a commercial !
Um… except that was my dad … not great grand dad.

“Listen Hashtag.” I can’t stop laughing.

1 Like