Uber Driver Fired, Threatened With Lawsuit for Refusing to Take Pregnant Woman to Abortion Clinic

66/:thinking:

Whatever happens to “the right to refuse service”. But ah, rules only apply for “racist passengers”

“Drivers always have the right to refuse service to riders who are disrespectful or make them feel unsafe, as the driver in this case rightly did,” Uber said in a statement to BuzzFeed News. “We’ve reached out to the driver to make sure she’s okay, and express our support for her and how she handled this situation. The rider has been permanently removed from our platform.”

A 20-year-old college student in New York is looking to sue her Uber driver after he refused to take her to get an abortion.

Yahoo! Style reports the Uber driver was also fired after the incident.

The student detailed her version of events in a Reddit message board.

“I’m 20 years old and I found out I was pregnant and subsequently decided I wanted an abortion because I’m in no position to care for a child,” she wrote.

But when her Uber driver showed up to take her to her appointment at an abortion clinic an hour away, the student said she could tell he “seemed uncomfortable.”

After a few minutes of driving, the driver asked her if they were going to an abortion clinic. When the student refused to answer, the driver tried to dissuade her from having an abortion.

He “proceeded to mention something about his wife being pregnant, how awful the procedure was (and proceeded to explain it in graphic detail), and that ‘there is so much they don’t tell you,’” the student explained.

“He then said ‘you’re going to regret this decision for the rest of your life’ and that I was making a mistake.”

The student said it took all her strength “not to cry” after hearing his warnings.

When they were halfway to the destination, the Uber driver pulled over in a rural area.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t take you the rest of the way,” the student recalled him saying. “I can take you back to (your city), but you won’t be able to find another Uber out here.”

The driver repeatedly offered to take her back home where she can find another Uber driver, but the student declined, called a cab, and had her abortion.

“I reported the driver to Uber and the next day I filed a police report with my city’s police department. Someone on Uber’s team got in touch with me after I told them about the police report and called me to get a detailed account of what happened,” she said. “I told them everything on a call that was recorded, and the rep mentioned that it appeared the driver had taken a less direct route to get me to my destination prior to dropping me off.”

“Within a few days they reached out again and told me the driver had been banned from Uber,” the woman added.

The Uber representative also said her driver had a great record with the company “judging from his user ratings.”

However, the student wants to take further action against him.

“I reached out to a law firm and a few legal aid societies but nothing has happened,” she said.

Sue him for what exactly?

He should sue Uber.

2 Likes

Sued for something something “hate speech” something something “intolerance” something something “sexism”.

He should counter-sue like James Damore did Google.

1 Like

This is quite simple. She feels guilt and remorse. She is going to blame anyone other than herself because she doesn’t want to take personal responsibility for her choice. If she’d had an Uber driver that was all gung-ho and supportive of her having an abortion, she’d blame her decision on that person, too. “I was thinking of not doing it but the driver made so much sense”…

2 Likes

Uber drivers are not employees of Uber, though I seem to recall some countries are forcing Uber to recognize drivers as such.

So not sure how she can sue Uber and it looks like so far she hasn’t been able to get any lawyers interested.

She made the reddit post 77 days ago so she is obviously contacting the media to try and get some traction for her lawsuit.

1 Like

The drivers are contractors of Uber thus Uber is responsible for their actions.

But is not as simple as that. The legality of who is responsbile is still being worked out.

Uber claim the drivers are independent contractors who just happen to use their app.

Tons of legal sites are grappling with this question.

From what I have read the liability is with the driver not with uber.

It is as simple as that, the law allows for them to be sued.

What percentage of liability they hold if any is all that’s in question no matter what arguments their lawyers want to make.

I doubt an attorney in private practice would want to take the case because what is the chances of winning anything are slim. They’d have to take it on a contingency basis because I doubt this girl has the money to fund a suit of this magnitude.

And what really do you have here? A girl who willingly engaged in a conversation, was counseled as a parent or a pastor would counsel and didn’t like it. Too bad. She was dropped off safely because the driver wouldn’t be complicit in an act he found morally wrong. If it were to come down to it, chances are he makes his stance based on religious grounds.

It sounds like the same theme as with the Christian Baker and that didn’t go so well for the supposed “victims” in the case.

1 Like

So now a guy can get sued because he doesn’t want to participate in a woman procuring an abortion.

In England a woman was forced by the courts to get an abortion.

A guy can get fined for not participating in a gay wedding.

People want to be able to sue a doctor for refusing to participate in the sexual mutilation of gender transition.

Celebrate diversity!!

1 Like

Ask a PETA member to take you to a butcher shop or furrier.

1 Like

I would have said, just to avoid a confrontation, the car isn’t running right. Open the hood & just stand there. Pull off a plug wire.

2 Likes

We’re creating a society where people can’t be honest for fear of reprisal. That’ll end well.

1 Like