U.S. Homeland Security Proposes Face Scans for U.S. Citizens

What could possibly go wrong with this proposal? I have seen it first hand while traveling to China recently and its a pretty invasive process that leaves you less than whole after entering the country knowing someone is keeping tabs on you at all times. On the flip side of the argument, its an efficient way to keep track of illegal immigration and visa overstays. That being said, I still find it conflicting and would like to hear what others think about this. In the end we may have little to say about it, as such technological advances will offer big brother a more cost effective means to managing immigration. At least that will be the argument in typical fashion but then there is already this.

The plan has already drawn opposition from some privacy advocates. Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst with the American Civil Liberties Union, blasted the idea in a written statement on Monday.

“Travelers, including U.S. citizens, should not have to submit to invasive biometric scans simply as a condition of exercising their constitutional right to travel,” he said.

The Trump administration contends in its regulatory agenda that the face scan requirement will combat the fraudulent use of U.S. travel documents and aid the identification of criminals and suspected terrorists.

1 Like

I’m a law abiding citizen; I have nothing to hide. I’ll admit, I didn’t like the strip search ( wasn’t wearing under ware ) when I got caught bringing in Cuban cigars. Next time emeralds. You can swallow emeralds.

So what’s the big deal?

We allow the government to access to all our communications, w have cameras in every store, at every light and now doorbells.

Face scans no big deal.

Maybe someday they will issue national ID cards to secure our voting. Wait that’s going too far.

1 Like

I actually think it’s a good idea. Technology has advanced to the point that facial recognition is really damn good. It’s how I unlock my phone. I get that for political demonstration purposes that this could be a bad thing, but at airports - PLEASE INSTALL IT NOW!

Has anyone been to an international airport here in the US recently? You might as well have just entered the third world. I say hook these cameras up now and make sure they are built in to these…

Understood but they already take pictures and fingerprints of foreigners entering the country. Where are the arrests? Do they also plan to increase the numbers of DHS/ICE personnel as required to find and deport them?

Why not just take face scans of people coming here on Visas if the goal is to find them when they overstay? I’m not sure I like the idea of American’s having to participate in this.

1 Like

They should probably be taking face scans every time someone crosses the border too.

1 Like

I completely agree…

I can’t say if it’s a big deal or not but a slippery slope for US citizens. If we had a common sense immigration policy that was consistently enforced then this wouldn’t even be an issue which is why I find this not only conflicting but confounding. Having traveled many countries in the world, they seem fine without having this as a way to enforce their immigration laws, so I am not sure how this will help the US’s problem of addressing its illegal immigration issues. Call me skeptical but I see this as an excuse to create a data base to keep tabs on people that has expansive overreach written all over it. I am not sure if it was Jefferson or Franklin who said “the more we want to be safe the more of our individual liberties we give away” but this was the initial lead in to Orwell’s 1984 and by most accounts on what we are seeing today, makes him sort of a prophet by reasonable standards. Just something to think about, as I am not arguing for or against but we should judge with open eyes rather than a complacent discourse!

My sarcasm escapes many.

We cannot secure our vote, we cannot secure our borders, instead our esteemed government wants facial recognition as a way of tracking people.

The expansive nature of our government has no bounds. They can pretty much track you with cameras, the GPS in your cell phone, tour internet activity, your telephone calls, text messages, there is very little they cannot do today. This is just another leap into our personal lives. Next up a tracking chip for everyone.

Trump’s draining the swamp and making America great again. He will not allow his HSS to implement this.

This will get thrown out in court very quickly. I know conservatives don’t want to believe this, but the Constitution applies to everyone in the United States…not just citizens.

What is the most accurate biometric scanning?

Iris recognition is widely considered to be the fastest and most accurate method of biometric identification that captures photos of your eyes and maps your unique iris pattern to verify your identity.

Are traffic cameras thrown out yet?

Cameras in parking lots?

Have they stopped FISA warrants?

They still track you via your cell phon?

How much more intrusive of citizens rights can this become???

Let’s start with doing face scans and biometric collection on all illegal aliens, then we can worry about the citizens who have a right to be in this country.

1 Like

You are more likely to be victimized by a US citizen than an undocumented person. In fact, that undocumented person is likely providing you with all sorts of services that make your comfortable lifestyle possible. It’s the American gun nuts and right-wing extremists that you have to watch out for. All of those people should be in a database ready for the government to use any time.

When you get into your 20’s, 30’s, 40’s and have some actual life experience (which includes a lot hell of a lot of hard knocks) you’ll look back on the naivety of your posts.

Or maybe not. (shrug)

1 Like

David, you’re a prine candidate for a position in Beijing. Is Leftists like you that want control and create a BIG BROTHER type government.

As well as economic asylum seekers. With a million ordered out of the country and now disappeared into the US, face scans may make it easier to locate them and deport them.