The Tragedy of the "Titan Submersible" at Titanic Wreck site

What makes this story so tragic is that this catastrophic event could have been avoided had there been stricter safety protocols in place to prevent companies like Ocean Gate to experiment without having the certifications of safety in place before putting human lives in danger.

If any of the other things I am hearing is true such as their blatant diversity hires and not wanting to hire 50 year white engineers or ignoring warnings from a former engineer who was fired previously for raising safety concerns due to the integrity of the materials being used in its initial design phase and how such materials would react under extreme pressure, then this tragedy is simply a product of flawed logic being applied for the sake of progress. One theory that immediately came to my mind is that the company “Ocean Gate” was severely limited in their funding and were eyeing tourism dollars as something they were willing to gamble on and thus went ahead and forgone the further testing that was needed in order to guarantee that this particular Submersible was safe enough at depths (2.5 miles) such as where the Titanic is located, despite making successful dives in the past, however there wasn’t enough of a sample size to measure such data on this particular underwater vessel.

According to one former Navy diving expert who had tons of experience with submersibles in deep waters put it succinctly when discussing this latest tragic development; “The designers and the people involved with the design of this Submersible is that they went with a Tech silicon valley approach, and that they were smarter than everyone else by trying to use unproven materials such as Carbon fiber materials in the design of its hull and perhaps not respecting that the sea is an extremely hostile environment especially at a former wreck site as deep as the Titanic, or that they ignored already proven methods for designs that worked since the 60’s and that perhaps more testing was needed. Unfortunately these people lost their lives in milliseconds due to flawed design and lack of more data needed to insure the ships structure integrity would hold up to such extreme pressures.”

What I find most baffling in all of this is that Bob Ballard and James Cameron who made many dives at the Titanic were never consulted with by the company Ocean Gate during their initial design phases.

The News

Here is a testimony from a man who dived successfully previously with a Titan Submersible and his detailed experience.

Footage of previous Ocean Gate Dives at the Titanic site in 2021 and 2022

Paul Joseph Watson’s commentary that adds further fuel to expose the tragic irony of this story.

1 Like

Another viewpoint to consider

2 Likes

Neither were engineers or design experts, just passengers. Unfortunately the creators of the Titan refusal to submit to independent checks that are standard in the industry was a critical error in judgement.

The cylinder-shaped cabin made of a carbon-fiber was a departure from the sphere-shaped cabins made of titanium used by most submersibles. In theory, the sphere is the perfect shape, because water pressure is exerted equally on all areas.

I forgot that you are an engineer and you know this stuff.

That is right. What I don’t understand is that there hasn’t been any accidents using Submersibles since the 60’s and many experts have made countless underwater dives since then improving on the technology and establishing a proven record of safety protocols that has led to having a good reputation until this event happened; so why didn’t Ocean Gate designers just go with what was already proven to work and build on that instead of trying to manufacture a totally different design altogether? Seems rather ignorant on their part to use such flawed judgement.

1 Like

The real question:
Shortly after the Titan submersible lost communication with the surface, the U.S. Navy, using classified technology, detected sounds the military “suspected” were caused by the implosion of the vessel.

The key is why did they forgo the inspections to ensure safety? There are no regulations in place to require inspections. No matter what waivers were signed by the passengers, it would seem the company is hugely responsible for the flawed design.

As a side note the rescue efforts costs should fall on the company. Hopefully enough to put them out of business and bankrupt the owner.

2 Likes

When I read that the sub was controlled with a game controller, I knew it would not end well. You have to wonder why billionaires that are obviously intelligent, would be dumb enough to risk their lives on such shoddy tech. I want to laugh my ass off, but I would truly feel horrible if I did.

2 Likes

The ship that was used to launch the submersible costs 500,000 a day to operate and have available to the crew. The Titanic location it seems like a logistical nightmare. I don’t think a successful rescue was possible.

The consolable part about this tragedy is that the souls lost didn’t suffer as their deaths were instantaneous.

3 Likes

Did you see the e-mails exchanges between the CEO Stockton Rush and a peer colleague Rob McCallum insisting him to reconsider the design flaws that were being pointed out for safety reasons? The hubris and arrogance of Stockton Rush pretty much said it all. I am sure he was walking and viewing himself mighty high thinking he designed something that no one else had only to end in epic failure in the end. The worse part is he won’t have to face that embarrassment of failure because he is now dead.

2 Likes

1 Like

Here’s an audio clip of one of the glass spheres they use to float oceanographic instruments on the bottom of the ocean floor IMPLODING and the subsequent echoes that were heard 6 miles away by a hydrophone.
These glass balls are 12 inches in diameter. Sound travels very well in water and something the size of a minivan imploding would be heard far, far away.

But nobody said anything until Thursday…
:thinking:

1 Like

This is a great break down on the technical aspects of Ocean Gate and the design challenges.

This video shows more footage of Stockon Rush and interviews given in more detail to reveal the mindset of Rush.

1 Like

Its sad that these lives were lost and families are grieving brcause one person thought he was smarter than engineers using a compdite hull. After numerous dives the hull wasnt checked fir flaws due to deterioation.
The passengers egos as explorer ckub members blinded their judgement and signed death waivers. If going to the Titanic was that important there were safer submersibles to go on.
You dont have to be to smart to know this was a one way trip.not ti take.

2 Likes

Analysis of recent photos of the wreckage recovered this week and being unloaded in St Johns for further investigation.

One mans ARROGSNCE and three mens inflated EGOS caused this sad TRAGEDY.

This is funny but sad at the same time. The hubris of a man whose faith was in science ultimately failed him and others.

This might explain a few things. Stockton Rush didn’t want 50 year old white guys as part of his design team. What have we learned so far? Do your research before deciding putting your life in the hands of another.