The Literary Corner and Philosophers Thread 📙 📖

The Romans suffered from lead poisoning due to their extensive use of lead in their aqueduct systems.

In “modern” countries, people are suffering from the aluminum (from air, water, food and vaccines) and mercury (from dental fillings and vaccines) toxicity and other heavy metals.

It wouldn’t have mattered anyway the Visigoths burnt the shit out of them in the end, along with the Huns, the Vanguards and any other tribal warlords looking for the loot.

Roman women became infertile and men were lethargic due to lead. They used lead in serving dishes and wine making as well.

Ooops, wrong one. But a good one.

Lead in the Roman Empire | Roman Lead Usage (unrv.com)

I enjoy his videos on various religions and they are pretty accurate, with the caveat that he gets very technical. LOL

The reason I’m having my black coffee in the morning has nothing to do with Muslims in any way
lol. It has everything to do with how I was raised
 and watched my parents drink coffee in the morning. Sometimes, shit gets way out of hand. :joy:

1 Like

I thought I was allergic to coffee (causing indigestion) and never bothered to drink it.

One fine day, I was offered “organic coffee” and tried to decline, saying I was allergic. But the host was adamant I should try it, so I did.

Lo and behold, my belief in allergy was shattered and I have been a Muslim — umm, coffee drinker ever since. Organic, mind you.

1 Like

10 paradoxical truths from 10 brilliant men

1. C.S. Lewis: Originality is best attained via copying.

2. Nietzsche: Compassion is a psyop designed by the weak to redirect resources from the most deserving to the least.

3. Chesterton: You need to hate the world enough to change it, but love it enough to consider it worth changing. Action is the offspring of dark pessimism and frenzied optimism
working in tandem.

4. Napoleon: Logic will lose you wars because sometimes the moment demands imaginative maneuvers that work because they are irrational.

5. Camille Paglia: Liberalism defines government as tyrant father but demands it behave as nurturant mother. Society must be so tyrannical that you should be protected from mean tweets but also so permissive that you should be able to change your gender (and back).

6. Chateaubriand: Beauty is useless if you care for efficiency, but shockingly useful if you care for lovability. Yes, beauty is a wasteful luxury but ultimately the only thing people will protect, and make pilgrimages to.

7. John Morley: Great writing dances at the border of mysterious and obvious. Too mysterious and you’re inaccessible, too obvious and you’re boring.

8. La Rochefoucauld: Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and fans the bonfire. Time will kill everything shallow, and deepen everything real.

9. Julius Evola: Democracy has hurt the demos (people) the most by disempowering their natural superiors. It is not the superior who has need of the inferior, but the inferior who has need of the superior; it is not the master that has need of the minion, it is the minion that has need of a master.

10. John Fowles: High IQ is a terrifying gift. The ability to predict the consequences of any action means your will gets lost in a labyrinth of hypotheses. Rule 1: Do not lose the will.

Where did coffee originate? Colombian coffee IMO is the best even though every label uses the term “Arabic Coffee”

1 Like

I think the original coffee trees grow in the highlands of Ethiopia. From there, southern Arabia is just a stone’s throw away, and you know the rest of the story.

I heard on DW (which I don’t listen to anymore) some years ago that the German government was giving money to preserve the original coffee trees in Ethiopia, given most Germans are coffee drinkers and not tea drinkers (except a province called East Friesland).

Coffee trees require a lot of sunshine, dry air and yet not freezing temperatures. Or something like that. Only a few places in the world meet these requirements: the big island of Hawaii, New Guinea, and of course Columbia and Brazil.

By the way, Arabs don’t drink coffee with milk. They boil coffee powder with a lot of sugar and a pinch of cardamom and I love it.

1 Like

I’ll take my coffee straight up/neat
 black, thank you. :wink:

Earl Grey for me. Can’t drink coffee as much as I like to. Too acidic!

1 Like

I cannot drink tea, black or green, in the morning.
To each his own, I suppose.

2 Likes

“He who is brave is free.” - Seneca

Forgot about HP Lovecraft! Underrated for all times sake

1 Like

He never gets old for my tastes in reading.

1 Like

12 thoughts from Propaganda (1965) by Jacques Ellul

You’ll never look at news the same way again

1. Breaking news is brainwashing you. Ellul: “To the extent that propaganda is based on current news, it cannot permit time for thought or reflection.” When everything is urgent, you are forced to “remain on the surface of the event.”

2. Jacques Ellul predicted echo chambers: “Those who read the press of their group and listen to the radio of their group are constantly reinforced in their allegiance. We see before our eyes how a world of closed minds establishes itself.”

3. Modern man can “never stop to reflect.” He’s not allowed to synthesize his information. Rather, Ellul writes: “One thought drives away another; old facts are chased by new ones.”

4. Clear thought has been replaced by vague feeling: “Modern man does not think about current problems; he feels them. He reacts, but be does not understand them any more than he takes responsibility for them.”

5. Ellul on how the modern man lacks a center of gravity: “Lacking landmarks, he follows all currents.” His soul is “discontinuous and fragmented.” Life reduced to unconnected moments

6. Everyone can read but not everyone can think. This makes propaganda more, not less, common. Ellul: “The vast majority of people, perhaps 90 percent, know how to read, but do not exercise their intelligence beyond this. They attribute authority and eminent value to the printed word
they are precisely on the level at which the printed word can seize and convince them without opposition.”

7. Once a person is compromised
once they’ve acted out a lie
they are yours forever. Ellul: “He who acts in obedience to propaganda can never go back. He is now obliged to believe in that propaganda because of his past action. He is obliged to receive from it his justification and authority, without which his action will seem to him absurd or unjust, which would be intolerable.”

8. Propaganda works by channeling the energies of a society’s “fundamentals myths.” These are the central stories operating inside the collective mind: “The myth of happiness, the myth of progress, the myth of the nation.” A skilled propagandist will always borrow from, and build on, the “current beliefs and symbols” of a society.

9. Propagandists set up “psychological levers.” They ensure that “certain words, signs or symbols” start provoking certain reflex actions
and then they wait. The levers can now be turned when and how needed.

10. Indirect propaganda works best. Aggressive attempts at manipulation will fail as people’s defenses will go up. But give a man plausible deniability, feed him convenient information, make him feel that he’s “obeying reason” as he follows your command, and you have him where you want him.

11. Lonely, depressed people are the easiest victims of propaganda. Jacques Ellul: “An individual can be influenced by forces such as propaganda only when he is cut off from membership in local groups because such groups are organic and have a well-structured material, spiritual and emotional life; they are not easily penetrated by propaganda.”

12. The conditions of modernity are actually the conditions of unprecedented propaganda: “The permanent uncertainty, the social mobility, the absence of sociological protection and of traditional frames of reference — all these inevitably provide propaganda with a malleable environment that can be conditioned at will. The individual left to himself is defenseless
”

1 Like

Ezra Pound’s life arc is wild:

1930: World’s greatest poet
1940: Mussolini Superfan
1945: Declared INSANE, put in an asylum

1958: Finally released

10 thoughts from a writer who paid a heavy price for being a dissident:

1. Why Ancient Rome Fell. Rome fell as its language fell. Pound: “Rome rose with the idiom of Caesar, Ovid, and Tacitus, she declined in a welter of rhetoric, the diplomat’s language to conceal thought
Rome went because it was no longer the fashion to hit the nail on the head.”

2. On putting your skin in the game: “If a man isn’t willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he’s no good.” In the preface to Guide To Kulchur, Pound notes that he will be committing himself to ideas that “very few men can AFFORD to.”

3. Pound on words. Every word comes with “roots” and “associations” - with a history of where the word is “familiarly used” and also where it has been used “brilliantly or memorably.” A great writer uses words with full awareness of this background.

4. Pound on how to lose an empire: “A people that grows accustomed to sloppy writing is a people in process of losing grip on its empire and on itself.” Vague words betray a mind that is afraid of conclusions. You lose power over reality by first losing your conceptual grip.

5. The greatest of art foists “sudden growth” upon us. Great art helps us grasp a complicated emotion or idea in a flash via the means of an elegant “image.” The sensation of “sudden liberation” that accompanies great art comes from this image.

6. An apt definition of great literature from Pound: “Great literature is simply language charged with meaning to the utmost possible degree.” Bad writing is when the words are weak, the sentences meandering, and the paragraphs unsure of their own conclusion.

7. Pound against relativism: “When words cease to cling close to things, kingdoms fall, empires wane and diminish.” GK Chesterton agrees: “Fires will be kindled to testify that two and two make four. Swords will be drawn to prove that leaves are green in summer.”

8. Pound on how to design your reading list: “Properly, we should read for power. Man reading should be man intensely alive. The book should be a ball of light in one’s hand.” We read for entertainment, distraction, solace - but why not read for power?

9. Ezra Pound on why he discarded rhyme: “One discards rhyme, not because one is incapable of rhyming neat, fleet, sweet, meet, treat, eat, feet but because there are certain emotions or energies which are nor represented by the over-familiar devices or patterns.”

10. Pound on why literature is hero-worship: “The history of an art is the history of masterwork, not of failures, or mediocrity. The omniscient historian would display the masterpieces, their causes and their inter-relation. The study of literature is hero-worship.”

1 Like

A number of his protégés got the Nobel Prize.
But never Ezra Pound himself.

Goes to show the Nobel Prize organizations were taken over by Joos.

Joos hate Ezra Pound (because he knew the truth) who asked Eustace Mullins to investigate the Federal Reserve. Thanks to Mullins, we all know that the Fed is a private bank.

“Vague words betray a mind that is afraid of conclusions.”

Brilliance is found in the most enigmatic uncorrected.