The Humvee Replacement

I was unaware that pine and spruce are the same. Is a spruce a pine?

There are in the same family as conifers. Pinaceae classification

The 10.9 inches of precipitation includes water equivalent of snowfall. That is very apparent in the link I gave you.

All Spruce are Pines; all Pines are not Spruce. Pine, or Pinus, is the family, White Spruce is a species within the genus Pinacea in that Family, the family of pines.

The bottom of that L-ATV looks pretty flat. The specs show some counter-IED measures, but we started using the MRAP’s because the HMMWV’s were death traps when the bombs did go off. I’ll be curious to read more on the intended uses and ponder the unintended consequences.

Well according to the US Climate Data, your region averages 65 inches of snowfall per year. So what am I am missing here then? Is the US Climate Data a fake website with fake information? Even your own link supports that as that being the case if you average out its monthly totals on a yearly basis, so what is your point? BTW Snow and rain are not the same!

All species of pine trees are in the Pinus Genus.

Spruce trees are in a different genus…Picea.

Spruce trees are not pine trees.

They are both conifers, but not both pines.

I think I pretty much stated that in my statement as in being conifers. And Spruces being Pinaceae. perhaps I wasn’t clear about that!

They are not pines. They are in a different genus within the same family.

Classification go by Species-Genus-Family

Spruce and Pine are separate species, each in a separate genus within the same family.

For edification…

Pinaceae is a family.

Typical rain equivalent is 10 to 1. So 65 inches of snow is like 6.5 inches of water (rain). Depends on the snow density but 10 to 1 is common.

Shit like this is one reason why I enlisted in the Air Force. Traveling around in these rolling coffins is not my cup of tea.

I spent 2 years in ships engineering, 30 feet below the waterline. My GQ station was the port shaft alley. One hit, and you are a dead man. I climbed down a 30 foot ladder, and took readings on the propeller shaft bearings, and monitored the lube oil levels; right where the propeller shafts left the ship. Had to go past two 8 inch thick armored hatches ( that close automatically ). “Thee” most important job was monitoring the water level to be sure it never hit the bearing assemblies that used lube oil. Water is used as the lubricant for the ironwood bearings at the very end of the shaft. Because water trickles in constantly ( when the ship is underway ), the water level slowly creeps up, and you must plug in your sound powered head set, contact engineering, open the valves & wait untill the water is pumped out. Always unnerving; but ( being the brilliant engineer I was ) I found a way around it. I assembled a long headset extension cord, and would sit at the top of the 30 foot ladder with field glasses & watch the water level.

1 Like

Both Spruce and Pines belong to the Family Pinaceae … also colloquially called the Pine Family. Therefore, all Spruce are Pines, but all Pines are not Spruce. It’s much like saying that all Humans are Apes (Hominoidea,) but all Apes are not Human.

Regardless, the trees in the picture are White Spruce, which as I said is the predominant coniferous tree in this area.

And Spruce belong to the same Family.

Note the reference to “the pine family … “

The typical snow in Interior Alaska is very dry. The conversion is usually between 16:1 to 20:1. The plotted data in the link that I posted gives a good indication of that, but all of the precipitation figures have been converted to inches of water, so it is not possible to gauge the conversion accurately, because actual rain is possible even in the coldest winter months. The Weather Bureau does the conversion based on snowpack instead of snowfall for that reason.

I’ve already agreed to that. So do seven other distinct genera of Pinaceae. I suppose you’ll tell me that all of these trees are pines.

Genus Abies Mill. – fir P
Genus Cedrus Trew – cedar P
Genus Keteleeria Carrière – keteleeria P
Genus Larix Mill. – larch P
Genus Picea A. Dietr. – spruce P
Genus Pinus L. – pine P
Genus Pseudolarix Gordon, nom. cons. – golden larch P
Genus Pseudotsuga Carrière – Douglas-fir P
Genus Tsuga Carrière – hemlock P

Note that only ONE of them is called PINE.

https://plants.usda.gov/java/ClassificationServlet?source=display&classid=Pinaceae

Suppose a family named Jo has five children;

Bobby Jo
Billy Jo
Mary Jo
Milly Jo
Jo Jo

They are all in the family Jo, but only Jo Jo is called Jo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It takes six to twenty inches of snow to equal 1" of rainfall. The colder it is the drier the snow is.

Yes, they are. How many times do I have to say it? The layman word for Pinaceae is Pine. Did you read the link? That is the word they used:

“They can be distinguished from other members of the pine family by their needles … “

But all of George Forman’s kids are called George. :wink:

2 Likes

I guess we’ll have to rename the Hughes “Spruce Goose” the “Pine Swine” (alluding to “when pigs fly”)…even though it was made entirely of birch.

:grin:

The new Humvee replacement is a heavy dude…with better fuel mileage, and a smoother ride.

…and considered by some to be “too comfortable” for soldiers.

My '78 F-250 4 WD with my custom bumpers, fiberglass camper top, custom tool box weighed in at 6000 lbs.

It had the minimum available leaf springs at all four corners.

When “The Original Truck Grille” was hitched to the back bumper, about 15 feet of logging chain stored on the front bumper (to bring the front end down) and then fully loaded with two tanks of fuel, it came up to just over 6800 lbs.

The ride was better than that of a big Cadillac slam full of fat people!