The Humvee Replacement

The Humvee replacement. This does look like it kicks ass. [

Joint Light Tactical Vehicle - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org

Joint Light Tactical Vehicle

The Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV) is a United States military (specifically U.S. Army, USSOCOM, and U.S. Marine Corps) program to part-replace the Humvee with a family of more survivable vehicles with greater payload. The JLTV program was approved in 2006 to begin early studies. The JLTV program incorporates lessons learned from the earlier and now halted Future Tactical Truck Systems (FTTS) program and other associated efforts. JLTV has evolved throughout various development phases an…

1 Like

Looks like while undergoing cold weather testing at Ft. Wainwright.

When I was in Iraq these were what were called the"MRAPS"

These vehicles were being introduced during my deployment, and this pic was taken in 2008 so I wonder if these vehicles were part of the JLTV program.

Or Fort Drum where 10th Mountain division is!

1 Like

Is Ft Drum in white spruce county?

I passed up a shot at a Korean War era military power wagon. Brutally powerful for its’ time & effortless to maintain. Killer flat head 6.image

1 Like

I believe it is, very North of the State! They get tons of Snow. White and Blue Spruces suck up a lot of water so it makes sense they grow in climate where there’s lots snow and rain!

My favorite kind of truck…that and the Unimog.

https://www.trucksnl.com/used-trucks/all/unimog/

Doesn’t the Unimog have an articulated frame?

Not that I know of. It’s basically a cab-over-engine 4WD truck with many gearing options. I don’t know that all of them have portal axles, but many do (where the wheels are mounted below the level of the axles, providing more ground clearance).

http://www.unimog.net/sales/u500brushfire/2005u500-techdata.pdf

They are also made in several sizes.

You may be thinking of the Vietnam Era “Goat”.

A great concept but never very reliable due to wear and tear on the articulating parts and drive train.

This is one of the better MRAP’s every produced. I actually got to ride in one in S. Africa. Amazing offroad vehicle and not bad on pavement either.

I’m looking at the undercarriage of one of these at my friends shop. [

Land Rover 70 Years | Land of Land Rover - YouTube

](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJP8l8-ENgM)------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ No exposed CV Joints on the 4wd. It has an enormous sealed ball & socket joint. No dirt can get in. Radiator set back a foot behind the front bumper, in case you feel like ramming a tree. They were designed for serous rebuild work in the field. Remember “The Gods Must Be Crazy” ?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ [

Land Rover Stuck In The Tree Scene From The Gods Must Be Crazy …

](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RXV-p_Ec6Q)

There’s an 80’s series Rover here in town I’ve had my eye on for some time. One of these days it will sell for peanuts and I’ll probably own it.

The B-40 Land Cruiser however is my all time favorite vehicle.

They can really take a beating. Myself, I never abused any 4wd vehicles I owned; but I took some to the limit. My favorite was my old CJ 5. Had wide track spider hubs, a Chevy 283, and a Warner Stone Crusher transmission. Full roll cage & harnesses. It could pull trees down. Front & rear winches, and manganese alloy pans under the drive train. Rear internal fuel cell behind rear seat, with double wall protection. One electric fuel pump & one mechanical pump. Channel iron front & rear bumpers with Oak inserts.

I was inches away from buying a tricked out CJ with a 327 and extended axles, big rock crawler tires etc. I sobered up and went into the Army.

Best pair of decisions I ever made… . HA!

Really? The predominant pine tree here is the White Spruce and the annual precipitation (including snow) is only about 10 inches per year.

It’s a fact that spruces (pines) suck up water!

10 Inches? I find that hard to believe!

10.9 inches including water equivalent of snow.

How much snow do you get during winter months? Upon further research, it says your region gets on average 65 inches of snowfall per year. Perhaps that is where a lot of the water comes in which these trees grow from. I am surprised that I have to even point this out you.