The Dark Side of the Moon

Glad to help! :slight_smile:

When I started at GT, the only computer on campus was housed in a building called “the computer center”. Students would carry shoe boxes full of punch cards, drop them off and return days later to pick up their solutions on folded line printer paper that was often 30 to 50 feet long when stretched out.

My 48GX has more computing power than that computer had…and it is essentially infinitely faster.

Yeah, when I was in undergrad my 41C was like carrying a programmable computer around. I even learned some “synthetic programming” which cracks into the computer’s hard coded programs. I even programmed it during tests in grad school.

This thread has had me really pulling my hair out thinking I’d had an earlier scientific calculator but could not for the life of me remember what it was.

Finally came acrossone that is very similar. I think mine was a model 1250 though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51764518@N02/15079845438/in/photostream/

SHould have just called my brother, he had one just like it but a couple of years earlier version.

Cotton? What are they planning on starting up the intergalactic slave trade or something?

Technical point of correction, the PROM in the form of fusible-link technology has been around since the mid-50s. The Erasable-Programmable-Read-Only-Memory (EPROM) as used to hold programs, eg the BIOS in a PC, was invented in '71 … so it was actually available when I started work

The EPROM, a non-volatile, erasable, memory chip was Invented by Intel’s Dov Frohman in 1971.

That is the most plausible reason for starting with cotton … unless they will be attempting to grow them with straight fibres ready to spin into thread. Or perhaps make best use of the sunlight to grow ‘white’ cotton.

They taught us FORTRAN at University, my introduction to keeping things in order… :slight_smile:

This is a misleading story. Those easily duped are the ones that do not understand that they sent everything that was needed for the germination in a sealed container and released the necessary water for germination onto the the seed via a signal from elsewhere.

Did they send enough water and nutrients for the germinated seed to grow into a plant bearing fully developed bolls of cotton?

Does anyone here think that there will someday be significant food producing cultivation of the moon’s soil?

1 Like

$229.xx yesterday…

I almost pulled the trigger and ordered one, but then I thought it over, divided my passion for one by my age and ended up with a much smaller urge to have it.

I have a TI-nspire CX, a Casio fx-115ES solar/battery powered model, a Casio fx-260 solar, and at least three identical free calculators with large keys, basic functions and square root capability that I’ve received from various non-profits along with their pleas for donations. I don’t really NEED another calculator.

Plus…$229 will buy a lot of wine…if I stick to the non-pretentious brands.

3 Likes

It may be of little scientific meaning but it is symbolic and they will take credit for it in their propaganda… …and in their subsequent claim for control of some part of the moon. They have thought this out.

Actually… it’s a pretty cool symbolic event.

My first programming experience was on an HP25C in mid 70s. I programmed it in 49 steps to allow me to play the game “mastermind” on it.

:smile:

Then I went to college and programmed an IBM360 to program itself. The TA thought I was showing off and sneered at me. :blush:

1 Like

Looking over the history of HP calculators. I recall now I had another one in the early 90s with that wider and flatter form factor. Might have been a 15C. I can’t clearly recall the model because I used it in a SCIF and had to leave it when I left that company. They were great calculators!

Not really. Seeds were germinated and plants grown on the Space Station years ago. All it shows is that they have finally developed (and stolen) the technology that we and Russia have had for decades.

Why are you talking about technology? I already said it had little scientific meaning.

Growing plants in the space station and growing plants on the moon have very different symbolic significance.

They are not being grown on the moon. They seeds germinated in a closed environment inside the protective capsule of a spacecraft sitting on the moon. The achievement was remotely landing the spacecraft, not germinating the seeds. Any kid could have accomplished that part.

Not remotely likely in either case.

The fibers also need to be naturally kinked at least to some degree to make quality thread, otherwise it would simply pull apart.

I took a scroll down memory lane trying to remember my highschool calculator, which was the second most powerful computer in the school. I owned a Texas Instrument SR-56 with 2 memories (if memory serves!)

The fibres need to have a rough surface so that they can grip adjacent fibres, any kinks introduce weak points in the fibres.

The first calculator I got excited about was this one. It had everything I needed, loads of built-in conversion constants and no requirement for batteries.

Unfortunately it also had a built-in failure in the hinge to the extension keyboard … about 5 years, so then I bought the fx-451 … which lasted another 5 years.

These days I have a fx-7000G for when I am feeling playful, but my laptop has everything I need.

These days it is rare that I need a competent calculator, I can model most things I am bothered about using SuperCalc (aka Excel or Open/Libre Office Calc).

Matlab is a powerful tool.

Well that certainly isn’t true. If it were, wool would be totally unfit for making fibers of any kind.

The kinks only create a weak point when they are induced, not when they are natural.

https://msnucleus.org/membership/html/k-6/as/scimath/6/assm6_8d.html

Wool in fact is classified and graded based on the number of kinks per inch and average diameter of the fibers.

https://texas4-h.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/Judging-Wool-and-Mohair.pdf

Cotton fiber

https://articletrade.blogspot.com/2012/05/macro-structure-of-cotton-fiber.html