The Best Films to Watch for Easter

Happy Easter everyone and to non believers here happy spring Equinox even though the latter well wishes are belated it’s the thought that counts!

My favourite films to watch on Easter. There is something for every one.

1. Last Temptation of Christ

Probably Scorsese’s best work ever

1. Exodus Gods and Kings
    Directed by Ridley Scott

2. Risen
    Directed by Kevin Reynolds

3. Kingdom of Heaven
    Directed by Ridley Scott

4. Ben Hur
    Directed by William Wyler

5. Noah
    Directed by Darren Aronofsky

6. The Passion
    Directed by Mel Gibson

7. The Bible: In the beginning
    Directed by John Houston

8. Samson and Delilah
    Directed by Cecil B. DeMille

9. The Greatest Story Ever Told
    Directed by George Stevens

https://youtu.be/qKSe9PE002o

Non Biblical

Wizard of Oz
Europa Europa
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory
The Lord of The Rings
The Green Mile
Its the Easter Beagle Charlie Brown
Easter Parade
Mighty Python’s Life of Brian

The Kingdom of Heaven is one of my all time favorite movies. It’s also very historically accurate.

No surprise there. Ridley Scott directed that one and he is one of my favorite directors.

It’s rare for me to want to see a movie more than once.

I never tire of watching it. I’ve probably seen it well over a hundred times.

I can’t really put my finger on why it has grabbed me in such a way but it has.

Oh, if you want to piss your pants laughing while watching a movie try, “A Million Ways to Die in The West”. It kinda shoots the hell out of the romantic view Hollywood has given us of “The Good Old Days”.

Are you making any headway with The Embassy?

Yeah I watched that movie a couple of times myself. Just watched it this past week. Another film is Risen. Not the same director, but a really cool and underrated film.

1 Like

Indeed it is. Makes you really think your way through everything from Palm Sunday Forward.

I loved the acting in it. The scene with Bartholomew? I thought that was some of the best acting that happened so naturally. Then the scenes with Jesus when the Roman soldiers came in and his reaction upon seeing Jesus just casually sitting there with Peter, Mary, Thomas and others as if like nothing happened, it seemed also very natural.

I haven’t seen “Risen.”. For some reason, based on the title, I thought it was going to be one of those Hollywood comedy/parodies… or a Vampire movie…So I will see it.

My favorite movie has always been Wyler’s “Ben Hur”…which is showing again on Turner Classics today at 9am PST.

One movie not mentioned above, is the epic, “Agora”. …To me it IS a Christian movie, despite showing the current Christian corruptions and cruelties during the life of Hypatia.

Don’t know that one although I think I vaguely heard of it. I will have to check that one out.

Risen is a pretty good film. The cast especially who they chosen to play Jesus is an interesting choice. Given the region at the time seems like a natural fit.

The other film on this list which is loaded with a ton of stars is: “The Greatest Story Ever Told” beautifully shot and directed.

1 Like

I think Agora is a masterpiece. It was my favorite film that year. So many subtleties…

Greatest Story is a beautiful film. I’ll try to see “Risen” today.

1 Like