The Aviation Enthusiasts Thread

Iā€™ve seen some good units for a small fraction of that. Heck, you can pickup a used gyro copter for 3K. Iā€™m still extremely tempted to get one, I could even make it pay for itself doing game surveys and predator/varmint control. :laughing:

1 Like

Great find which brings me to the most successful military tilt rotor ever developed, The V-22 Osprey.

If not for our near unlimited military developmental budget it would have no doubt suffered the same fate as the German Attempts at VTOL tech.

The V-22 however is going to be phased out according to the newest plans from the Maine Corps. Still it was highly successful for the life it has functioned in.

Just like the A-10 which is serving decades beyond when it was supposed to have been phased out at the end of The Cold War.

I donā€™t see it happening unless and until something with equal or better capabilities comes along to replace it.

I guarantee you the troops who rely on them will fight like hell to keep them well into the future because nothing we have can do what they can.

The A-10 serves an entire different role than the Ospreys. According to the Marines new strategy to modernise their fighting capabilities the Osprey is a sitting duck for more advanced weapons that will be used by the likes of China. So they will be phased out before or by 2035.

I donā€™t see it happening.

Itā€™s the Osprey or Heloā€™s which are a much fatter, easier, and more vulnerable target.

Like the A-10 thereā€™s just nothing we have that can fill the same role.

I am just repeating what they reported themselves. If they are serious about bringing our military to meet new challenges by modernizing it for efficiency then its going to happen. The Osprey, as wonderful as a machine it is, its still a slow moving target that can easily be taken out with a rocket missile.

Interesting new concept for the future of aviation?

1 Like

WOW! Somewhat rarer US Bomber, the B-18. Used in submarine warfare.

ION drives are supposed to be what takes us to Mars and beyond, hadnā€™t heard anything about trying to power aircraft with it.

Absolutely incredible speeds can be attained with Ion propulsion.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_fi7mhV0sM

Check out the losses in Vietnam!

2 Likes