So much winning. Trump found liable for sexual abuse, defamation in E. Jean Carroll case, ordered to pay $5M in damages

Trump found liable for sexual abuse, defamation in E. Jean Carroll case, ordered to pay $5M in damages

By

Priscilla DeGregory and

Kyle Schnitzer

May 9, 2023 3:11pm

Writer E. Jean Carroll was awarded $5 million Tuesday by a Manhattan jury that found former President Donald Trump liable for sexually abusing and defaming her — while clearing him of her rape claim.

Carroll, 79, held her head down as the verdict was read in Manhattan federal court — and nodded when she heard the jury finding in favor of her defamation claim for Trump, 76, branding her a liar when she came forward with her allegations that he raped her in a Bergdorf Goodman fitting room in 1996.

The verdict could dog an embattled Trump in his 2024 presidential bid and is just one of many legal issues he faces — including a pending criminal case related to “hush money” payments.

The nine-person jury — three women and six men — decided the case after three hours of deliberations that began just before noon Tuesday.

Neither Carroll nor her attorney, Roberta Kaplan, spoke to the mass of reporters outside the Lower Manhattan courthouse as they left hand in hand, with the former “Ask E. Jean” columnist breezing through the crowd and into a waiting car.

“I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHO THIS WOMAN IS. THIS VERDICT IS A DISGRACE – A CONTINUATION OF THE GREATEST WITCH HUNT OF ALL TIME!” Trump wrote on his social media platform Truth Social following the verdict.

Speaking outside court, his attorney, Joe Tacopina, vowed to appeal the verdict.

“He’s firm in his belief, as many people are, that he can’t get a fair trial in New York City based on the jury pool,” Tacopina said of Trump. “I think one could argue that’s an accurate assessment based on what happened today.”

As a reporter asked if it would derail Trump’s run for the Republican nomination in the 2024 presidential election, Tacopina quickly interjected: “nope.”

A Manhattan jury found Donald Trump liable in the E. Jean Carroll rape case.

In a statement through her attorney later Thursday, Carroll said she filed suit against Trump “to clear my name and to get my life back.”

“Today, the world finally knows the truth,” she said. “This victory is not just for me but for every woman who has suffered because she was not believed.”

Donald Trump – E. Jean Carroll Case Verdict

LIABLE: Sexually abusing Carroll in a Bergdorf Goodman fitting room in 1996.

Damages: $2.02M

LIABLE: Defaming Carroll with an Oct. 12, 2022, Truth Social post calling her claims a “hoax.”

Damages: $2.98M

NOT LIABLE: Allegedly raping Carroll in the same alleged 1996 fitting room incident.

No damages

While jurors rejected Carroll’s claim in her 2022 suit that Trump had raped her, they found him liable for sexual abuse. Carroll had accused Trump of attacking her in a fitting room at the Fifth Avenue department store, most likely in 1996. He has denied her allegations.

Watchers in the court gallery cried tears of joy when the verdict finding Trump liable for sexual abuse was read out.

Trump has denied that the encounter ever happened.

Jurors also found in favor of Carroll on her claim that the ex-president defamed her in a lengthy Oct. 12, 2022, Truth Social post claiming her accusations were a “hoax.”

The decision comes after eight days of trial spread over three weeks, where the jury heard from 11 witnesses including Carroll, two other Trump accusers and two pals whom Carroll confided in about the alleged attack.

Trump did not attend the trial but the jury saw clips of his video deposition. He also didn’t call any witnesses or present any evidence.

Trump wrote on Truth Social that the whole trial was a “witch hunt” against him.

Carroll took the witness stand for three days, recounting how she ran into the real estate mogul at the high-end store, across from Trump Tower, most likely in the spring of 1996.

Carroll — who had a successful column in Elle magazine at the time — agreed to help Trump find a gift for a woman and the pair walked through the store flirting and exchanging banter, she said.

Trump led her to a desolate sixth-floor lingerie department where he tossed a see-through negligee at Carroll, asking her to try it on, she claimed. But Carroll jokingly threw the lacy one-piece back at Trump, telling him to try it on, she claimed.

Then Trump led her into an open fitting room, where he pinned her against the wall and bumped her head twice, during what she called a “fight,” Carroll testified.

Trumps laughing his azz off tonight just like jit the zit.

1 Like

This was not only a very weak case, but a troubling one at best. The rule of law is being made a joke of in order to build up momentum for his later criminal case. Regardless of what you or others feel about Trump, we should all be very concerned about how they are trying to use the law and court judicial system to go after a potential Presidential Candidate.

3 Likes

It’s a great way to dump Trump.

When they are through with Biden and Trump neither will be able run. Unfortunately Trump probably actually did it. And the women in this country will certainly look at it before they vote.

1 Like

Trump Org. fined $1.6 million after conviction for 17 felonies, including tax fraud

By Kara Scannell and Nicki Brown, CNN

The Trump Organization was fined $1.6 million – the maximum possible penalty – by a New York judge Friday for running a decade-long tax fraud scheme, a symbolic moment because it is the only judgment for a criminal conviction that has come close to former President Donald Trump.

Two Trump entities, The Trump Corp. and Trump Payroll Corp., were convicted last month of 17 felonies, including tax fraud and falsifying business records.

Under New York law, the most the companies can be fined is about $1.6 million, a penalty the Trump Organization can easily afford.

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass asked Judge Juan Merchan to make the Trump Org. pay the maximum fine, though he admitted that it will have a “minimal impact” on a multibillion-dollar company.

“We all know that these corporations cannot go to jail as Allen Weisselberg has,” Steinglass said Friday, referring to the Trump Organization’s long-time chief financial officer who was sentenced to five months in jail earlier this week as part of a deal he reached with prosecutors. “The only way to effectively deter such conduct is to make it as expensive as possible.”

New York District Attorney Alvin Bragg, a Democrat, told CNN that the fine against the Trump Org. is important but he also wants lawmakers to raise the fines for companies that break the law.

“It’s important regardless of who the defendant is, because it’s cheating and greed and cheating the taxpayers,” Bragg said. “It obviously becomes more consequential given that it involved the former president’s corporation and CFO. It sends a message – I hope it sends a message to New Yorkers that you know we’re one system of justice and that this kind of conduct, regardless of who you are, won’t be countenanced in Manhattan.”

But, Bragg said, the fine isn’t enough of a penalty.

“It isn’t sufficient. Plain and simple,” Bragg said, saying the law should “reflect what I think many of us see, particularly those who sat through the trial and saw the 13 year you know pattern of deep greed and misconduct laid bare, we should have stiffer penalties for conduct like that.”

The Trump Org. entities have 14 days to pay the fine.

The real estate business is not at risk of being dismantled because there is no mechanism under the law to dissolve the company. No individual will go to jail based on the jury’s verdict. However, a felony conviction could impact the Trump Organization’s reputation and ability to do business or obtain loans or contracts.

Trump and his family were not charged in this case, but the former president was mentioned repeatedly during the trial by prosecutors about his connection to the un-taxed benefits doled out to certain executives, including company-funded apartments, car leases and personal expenses. One prosecutor said Trump “explicitly sanctioned” tax fraud.

One of the jurors told CNN that the jury saw a “culture of fraud,” at the Trump Organization, but referred to Trump as a nondescript “Bob Smith” at times when talking about the company owner’s awareness of the crimes in relation to the charges.

Weisselberg last year pleaded guilty to 15 felonies related to the tax fraud scheme and agreed to testify truthfully against the company at trial.

Trump Org. fraud trial juror tells CNN the panel was ‘serious’ and didn’t focus on Donald Trump

He remained on paid leave at the Trump Organization, where he was compensated a little more than $1 million a year, until Tuesday when he was sentenced. Weisselberg received a severance package that one person familiar with the deal called “generous.”

Merchan, who sentenced Weisselberg, said at the time that but for the deal he would have given Weisselberg more time in jail after listening to the evidence at trial.

Merchan said he found most “offensive” a $6,000 payroll check Weisselberg had made out to his wife, who never worked for Trump, so she could become eligible for Social Security benefits.

A Trump Org. spokesperson said that Weisselberg “is a victim,” as is the company and former president.

“New York has become the crime and murder capital of the world, yet these politically motivated prosecutors will stop at nothing to get President Trump and continue the never ending witch-hunt which began the day he announced his presidency,” the spokesperson said. “We did nothing wrong and we will appeal this verdict.”

Not over yet

The Manhattan district attorney’s office continues to investigate the company’s business practices.

Prosecutors are conducting a wide-ranging investigation and in recent months their focus has returned to the company’s involvement in hush-money payments made to silence adult film star Stormy Daniels from going public with an affair with Trump just before the 2016 election, people familiar with the matter said. Trump has denied the affair.

Prosecutors are also looking into potential insurance fraud after new material came to light from the New York attorney general’s civil investigation into the accuracy of the Trump Organization’s financial statements, the people said.

The biggest threat currently facing the company could be New York Attorney General Letitia James’ $250 million civil lawsuit, which has alleged Trump, his three eldest children, Weisselberg and others defrauded lenders, insurers and tax authorities by inflating the value of multiple Trump Org. properties for more than a decade.

In addition to money, James, a Democrat, is seeking to permanently bar Trump and the children named in the lawsuit from serving as a director of a business registered in New York state. She is also seeking to cancel the Trump Organization’s corporate certificate, which if granted by a judge, could effectively force the company to cease operations in New York state.

The judge overseeing the lawsuit put an independent monitor in place to review the Trump Organization’s financial statements and business decisions. He recently denied motions to dismiss the case and said he considered sanctioning Trump’s attorneys. The trial is set for October.

Hard to believe what is true and what isn’t true anymore when the Judicial system has become politicized.

2 Likes

Who do you want to run for the GOP? I see none of the current group of people that could win, other than Trump. It’s not that I like Trump, it’s that I see no one else that can win.

Mickey Mouse could beat Biden with a 36% approval rating except Trump who the country excluding the GOP intensely dislikes. Fortunately we have a year to find the person the independents could support. Trump and his crappy candidates are why the GOP barely won the House and lost the Senate.

I think you are seriously disregarding/underestimating Trump. 2016 should have learned everyone better…lol. No one that the GOP could currently put up would beat Biden. Too much free shit and free for all shit assosiated with this administration… no one has a chance at this point to beat Biden, regardless of what polls say. He can hide for the whole campaign and still win re election. Polls are useless. Look at 16’ as a perfect example.

I see no one that can challenge Trump for the nomination… at this point. My choice would be John Kennedy, Sen. Louisiana. It will never happen, but… All the rest of the candidates right now… forget it!

So, How do think the GOP can win with anyone? Trump is the only hope… right now… unfortunately. Will you not vote for him out of spite? I can’t do that. If Trump is the nominee (he will be), I have to vote for him, because I sure as hell won’t vote for any f***ing Dem.

The Deep State contunues its judicial pre election Trump harrassment while giving everyone involved in the FRAUDELENT DOSSIER CAPER and Hillarys evidence destruction.a free pass.
We have a better chance of seeiing the CIA and FBI papers as to who actually killed JFK before Hunter Bidet is prosecuted.

2 Likes

Way to much baggage.

That is if he can overcome the legal jeopardy part. He may have to run from jail, that is if the deep state succeeds.

2 Likes

Ok, so… who ya got??? I know you don’t like Trump. I don’t like him either, but… who ya got???

Over a year before the election and much will change before then. Why the hurry?

I want Ron DeSantis to run he is YOUNG unlike those close to 80 year old’s that are out of touch . He is likable and not obnoxiously RUDE . He is a republican , unlike Rump who couldn’t make up his mind and was a dem much long than a republican . Ron can get the independent votes , and some of the dem voters that are fedup with gender benders and CRT bullshit .

He is stale and when tested almost lost to a crack head. He has no charisma. And many think he’s a deep state fake implant. A bush… we all all set. We want trump!
If Ron can keep up his fake persona he can run for 2028.

No one will elect a known rapist and someone who defrauded people out of millions with his fake university . Rump was in it for the money typical demoRAT . There is a reason he was buds with Slick Willie and Hillary Clinton and learned a lot .

I think he should run in 28, he’d have a better chance to win than now. Just my .02!

1 Like

Should Trump get a pass on all his transgressions? If the answer is yes, shouldn’t Biden also get a pass?? Clinton got a pass.

No! I don’t care who the candidate is, they will get praise when they do well and will be criticized when they fk up! Unlike the sock puppet Jizzard who licks Trumps balls at first opportunity, I treat everyone the same!

2 Likes