Senator Ted Cruz introduces term limit constitutional amendment

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is leading a new push to impose term limits on Capitol Hill.

He’s working with U.S. Representative Francis Rooney (R-Florida) on the proposed constitutional amendment.

The idea is to limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms, and U.S. House of Representative members to three two-year terms.

Cruz says term limits would help curb congressional members from abusing their power.

“For too long, members of Congress have abused their power and ignored the will of the American people,” Sen. Cruz said. “Term limits on members of Congress offer a solution to the brokenness we see in Washington, D.C. It is long past time for Congress to hold itself accountable. I urge my colleagues to submit this constitutional amendment to the states for speedy ratification.”

Some Democrats are backing the idea – including former U.S. Representative Beto O’Rourke.

1 Like

If only, by sheer, random bad luck, they hadn’t failed to introduce this when they controlled both sides of Congress!

1 Like

I look forward to see where this goes. It used to be that people went into politics as a temporary thing, doing their civic duty and then returning to normal life. Now that we have an entrenched political class who make careers out of it, maybe this kind of legislation is the kick in the pants that they need.

Ever notice that Republicans only grow a set of balls after they lose power?

1 Like

This would be great and even greater if it also abolished lobbyists.

Cruz is now starting his second term. Is he going to set the example by not running for a third?

I don’t like the fact that some people spend decades in Congress, but voters have a remedy for that.

1 Like

Or it could be simply a political move meant to embarrass the democrats in the House.

Congress has 11 percent approval ratings, yet 96.4 percent of incumbent lawmakers were re-elected in 2014.

Got it.

2 Likes

This is long over due !!! The very same needs to happen with the Supreme Court Ginsburg can barely hold her head up !!

This law likely will not be retroactive. Actually, some Congress member may add an amendment that delays its trigger date for 50 years…then all the others will be able to say, “I voted for term limits!” when they run for re-election 'til they die.

I was thinking the same the other day. I also wondered what it would be like if a seat in the House was like Jury Duty.

2 Likes

Politician, a career with great benefits and the likelihood of becoming a millionaire in a few short years.

This was needed long ago. Hopefully he sets a precedent by not running for a third term, and Texas replaces him with someone just as eQualls competent and respectful of the Constitution.

You and me both. I mentioned something Congress did while Reagan was still in office on the other board as the reason why Trump is fighting so hard now for his wall funding. I was laughed at. Like they don’t realize some members of Congress HAVE been in Congress that long.

That would be an interesting/eye opening list.

Wikipedia, but this is a good start.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_United_States_Congress_by_longevity_of_service

Grassley, Leahy, Wyden are all on this list.

1 Like

I hate yours, not mine.

1 Like

And how many of those incumbents ran basically unopposed? Either way, perfectly demonstrates how broken our elections are.

2 Likes

No thanks, we don’t need an amendment limiting who we can vote for. If you don’t like your representative, don’t vote for him. This would only greatly strengthen the unelected bureaucrats and lobbyists.