Self Driving Cars - Yes or No

You need to be able to ensure the car won’t take charge without your leave.

To the OP’s question…No. We spend millions on reliable software for many safety critical systems and we still get failures that necessitate human action to prevent a mishap.

1 Like

Perfect for my yard. 1.5 acres with an average slope of 1°. The one-time setup process shows its prototype nature, but the GPS assist shows wireless promise. I’ll give it another 5 years before seriously considering a purchase.

Absolutely, and if it has such options, I’d likely not buy one. Once my kids are grown and on their own path (I’ll be in my 60’s then), I won’t even care at that point, so I’ll probably just be in a self-driving vehicle regardless.

A robot can’t even make me a cup of tea. So to drive a car with so many things that could happen? Maybe one day, but not yet. Plus I like to be in control, not some dumb computer who’s going to be nice to everyone and stop for them. But the others can. They would be so easy to bully! :grin:

1 Like

I am hoping for a rugged four wheel drive version with remote control, I have a lot more slope.

There are also advances in cyber attack methods that could cause terroristic havoc in the public that can be defended against but not at an affordable cost and not with the completely unmanaged configurations that would evolve after the first few models.

So many things that need to be solved before we fully enbrace the new technology.

1 Like

Your self driving car causes an accident. People are killed.

Who will the ambulance chasers sue? You? You were not driving but it’s your car. The manufacturer? Who is responsible? The car?

When people cause accidents, they can be sued and made to pay for it. How are the lawyers going to prove that a car caused an accident?

Determining which vehicle is at fault in an accident doesn’t change whether it was humans or machines driving.

More so, lefrists would not even need hitmen, they could murder dissidents with a keystroke by causing an “accident”. It’s scary that all these Silicon Valley companies pushing these cars are run by flaming libs and China lovers.

If I were an expendable Clinton associate I’d sure be a classic car enthusiast … it might be a matter of survival.

1 Like

Do you suppose that blaming one or both vehicles would take the humans off the hook?

BTW, I probably should have said “the general assertion” rather than “the general belief.” What I’m referring to is that every article I’ve read on the topic has made that assertion when discussing the impact/import of insurance on the dawn of the self driving car.

We’re going to see elements of “self-driving” long before the idea of an entirely self-driving car becomes a commercial reality. We already have cars that parallel park themselves, some cars have ‘smart’ cruise control that decelerates when you approach traffic, some cars ‘warn’ you if they detect that you’re drifting out of your lane or if there is a vehicle in your blind spot, we will likely soon seen rear-end collision prevention on most new vehicles… I don’t know when self-driving will become the norm, but we’re going to become more and more accustomed to cars sharing the responsibility.

The most interesting aspect of self-driving cars, to me, is how they would lend themselves to car-sharing. I saw a study recently that suggested that even at times of peak demand, an entirely on-demand system for cars could reduce the need for vehicles in a small city by 85%.

I really think that is a mistake in design. Sharing responsibility means some people will expect the machine will just take over when it simply can’t perform the entire task. So people will drive interstates while dozing off because the car will cover for them sleeping when it was never intended to do so.

And interstates are the most controlled situations. It is all the roads with kids and dogs and deer crossing it that we need alert drivers, not some partial warning system software.

Any authored by a major insurance company?

Hmmm. I really don’t remember, but I’d venture a no. I’m a marketing guy and I’d never let my company get that far out ahead of an issue with no current upside and the downside of implying that your customers can’t drive.

I don’t see self driving cars dominating the existing system and traversing interstates and the like. Given my track record at predicting technology, that means that’s exactly what will happen.

You know where I could see self driving cars? Within planned, sprawled communities. I could imagine a network of self driving ride shares for modest trips within a town. Would be great for preserving mobility among seniors in such circumstances.

And how do they sue the car. Will very lawsuit be directed at the manufacturers?