Scientist Discovers Toxic Chemicals In Beer And Wine Bottles

No worries, Trumps new deregulated EPA assures us that glyphosate has no real health risks.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-takes-next-step-review-process-herbicide-glyphosate-reaffirms-no-risk-public-health

Strong TDS this one has, Obi-Wan!

Well, you pointed out that glyphosate is a toxin in our food supply. And I linked to you (from earlier this year) an EPA report that diminishes the concern of such health risksā€¦:man_shrugging:

Did any of you read the article? The toxic substances were found in the enamels used for labeling on the OUTSIDE of the bottles. Unless you are licking the paint off the bottles, you are not in any danger of being poisoned.

1 Like

OK.

And ā€¦ ???

TDS. You can do something about it. I know you can.

I guess I donā€™t blame the dodgeā€¦

Pigs and mud, man. Iā€™m dodging the TDS sty.

Bingo we have a winner! This OP was purposely placed to see how many people actually read the the text before commenting! Glad to see some actually do, and the others well you know the usual suspects! :rofl::laughing:

Although some progress is being made in reducing these metals in products, you really donā€™t know what you are asking. You likely think that everyone will be safer without these metals. But that is because you dont know how much safer we are using products whose reliability is enhanced with these metals. You are thinking one dimensionally. Cadmium is used to reduce corrosionā€¦ corrosion on safety critical components in aircraft, for example. And leadā€¦ well lead free soldering has itā€™s own problems and produces electrical contacts that short out on one hand or are brittle and break on the other. We can tolerate that in your momā€™s washing machine electronics but againā€¦ safety critical components are another matter.

So. . Yes, it is too much to ask for a complete elimination right now. Maybe another 10 to 20 years and it might not be too much to ask. Until thenā€¦we are simply making progress rationally, without knee jerk reactions.

1 Like

That is supposed to be bio-degradable, within a week.

Some of the colored glass is also toxic

I read the text

1 Like

The metallurgists have taken great strides with alloys in that respect.
I believe it is mainly consumer electronics where silver is specified because the disposal route is not guaranteed.
However there has been a shift back to using real flux in the soldering process.

The glass may contain toxic elements, but that does not mean the contents of the bottle become contaminated. Toxic elements are everywhere; binding them up by vitrification is a common way to contain them so that they will not be released into an environment where they can cause harm.

2 Likes

Since glass and plastic are not dissolved by anything commercially stored in them unless youā€™re eating the glass/plastic youā€™re perfectly safe.

There have been some problems in the past with certain types of plastics outgassing toxic substances which could get into the drink inside but that problem was solved years ago.

Iā€™m glad you added that last bit. Water goes (slowly) straight through MDPE and can therefore pick up contaminants long the way.

1 Like

If true then I suggest you not spend much time licking the outside of the bottle.

Waaaā€¦? ā€¦and waste all that luvverly flavoring?