Saudi Arabia arms sales

Ahh… yes… we put the Distant Early Warning (DEW) line on the NORTHERN edge of Canada with the ROCCs (what I considered manned tripwires inside Canada) :slight_smile: they are good allies.

1 Like

Well that’s ALWAYS been the case, after all, for a country that gives lip service to the promotion of democracy and human rights, we are the biggest promoter of war and largest arms dealer to facilitate it in the world.

But this one case is a bit different as there’s plenty of republicans pissed over SA killing that journalist while Trump did nothing about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/06/05/senators-from-both-parties-unite-to-block-trumps-plan-to-sell-military-equipment-to-saudis/amp/

How does Detente with Iran make it more likely? Be specific.

So what? Their people, their embassy, their business. Kashoggi was a Saudi Citizen, killed in a Saudi Embassy, by Saudis who have been punished already and more likely will be.

Exactly how is that our business?

Same goes for the war in Yemen … the other reason many in Congress are against this arms sale.

Lol, exactly…

If SA doesn’t already have Pakistani nuclear warheads it’s because US policy prevented it. The Saudis financeed the Pakistani nuclear program, it wasn’t just for friendship.

The Chinese have assisted and sold MRBMs to Saudi Arabia.

Recent Intel shows evidence of a missile production/test facility in a remote desert base. The rocket engine appeared to be a knockoff Chinese design.

There remains no good reason for the US to help another ME country to become a nuclear power…

Yes, let’s take a look at that especially considering today’s date.

Imagine instead of becoming and exerting our power as the world’s only superpower we’d kept to our own shores during WWI and WWII.

How would freedom, liberty, and democracy be working for the rest of the world today and for the last 75 years?

It’s funny, instead of one Jihadi network based in the ME today we have two, one based in the ME and One headquartered in Atlanta GA.

SA just needs to absorb Yemen, clean out the trash, and put a fence around it to keep them from returning.

So what’s your point, everybody else is selling arms to SA so we should too?

They are our ally and those arms sales ensure not only that we keep them as same but that we keep hundreds of thousands of extremely good jobs in the industry right here at home for generations.

Yes, another good reason to cut off SA. Good that Congress is working on blocking Trump, in bipartisan fashion no less…:blush::+1:

Do you support the Islamic rebellion in Yemen?

Point is you were whining after the train has left the station…

There is another big benefit that is seldom mentioned.

SA has money. And they like the best of things now. So while our own military may be content to use some standard but older subsystems, the Saudis are willing to pay for the development and production costs of “new and improved” weapon systems. Guess who gets to use these new and improved weapons after Saudi. That’s right… we do. So the Saudis benefit and so do we by having the Saudis pay the development costs of improvements that we then add to our arsenal.

Good point, I was considering that though since they are buying a package with the new weapons systems that will last 3-4 decades and beyond including maintenance and upgrades.

It’s pretty simple math. It costs X.00 for the R&D and setting up the production lines for any major system. The more units built the lower the per unit costs that have to be recouped are.

We keep our people employed on their dime while the same companies continue with not only those systems but they can turn around and use those profits for future development projects.

If we want to keep good, high paying jobs in the US expanding, foreign weapons sales are a big part of the total equation.

What do you mean? I don’t believe it’s happened yet…

$115 billion in arms sales to Saudi Arabia under Obama …

I opposed that too. Hell, with the lone exception of the Iran deal, I opposed EVERYTHING Obama did in the ME, he was a wreck, GWB on steroids.