Saturday Morning Cinema: 100 Best Films of All Time (The Film Enthusiasts Thread) 📽

Best movie when I was a kid, War of the Worlds.

As an adult, Field of Dreams. “Wanna have a catch?”

Best comedy, Caddy Shack.

Worst movie all time, Barbarella.

Hah hah, yeah that one was bad but it’s got lots of competition. One that was terrible when I expected a lot was Popeye. I walked out of that one after a half-hour, earliest theater exit for me. Myra Breckenridge was awful, too, but I saw that in a drive-in with some friends and alot of weed, yukking it up.

I guess you never sat through an Ed Wood movie. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Field of dreams and Caddy Shack were awesome!

1 Like

Jurrasic never caught on with me, never interested me in the least. Star wars is truly ruined when Disney decided to go woke with diversity bullshit. Rogue 1 was actually a good movie that had edge to it, and thought if they continued in that trend that they might have something to offer but then the subsequent sequels followed and it was all downhill from there. Same thing with “Mandalorian.” Second season sucked!

Disney like Hollywood is finding out the hard way that the Homo’s don’t outnumber the population on the planet!

Oh yeah, Plan 9! Probably the best bad movie, it was so bad it’s hilarious. Glen or Glenda, that guy was a genius of bad.

1 Like

I think the only movie I walked out on was “The Shadow” it was so bad I couldn’t sit through it.

Speaking of bad movies to which is watchable for comic relief is this 1983 gem. Anthem of the 80’s

“The Land is dead it raped itself” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure how I missed this one. Not necessarily a bad movie, but a below the radar one.

I forgot to ask you if you ever finished the mini series 'The Leftovers" and what were you impressions of it?

Yes I saw it. Had to review it to remember it.

It was excessively bloody at times, a bit soap-opera at times.

It kept me watching. A bit hokey like Lost.

Did you have a final review of it. I would have to watch the last season again to say anything meaningful about the show itself.

I probably mentioned this book previously

The author is a marine biologist, expert on Nematodes in Salmon.

To understand this book one should have studied the Pyramid texts painted and inscribed inside the Pyramids.

"Book of the Dead, the Amduat, Book of Gates, Book of Aker, Books of the Heavens and others. Parallel characters include Egypt’s Apophis as Revelation’s Satan while situations and activities in scenes include the judgment scene and singers by a lake of fire. Parallel sequences of scenes include those found in the 2nd to 12th Divisions of the Book of Gates and most of Revelation’s Chapters 15-21. Allusions to the Book of Dead are common. Finally, a key conclusion: the entire structure of the Book of Revelation can be accounted for in the organization of text and paintings on the walls and ceilings of the tomb of Ramesses VI in Egypt’s Valley of the Kings. "

The Leftovers in my review was both compelling in its story telling, as it was being able to captivate a sense of finality to which a love story at the end was able to tie it all together. The writers of this show certainly knew when writing this story that some form of “End of Times” was coming however their atheist spin, or shall we say their interpretation of it could be a symptom of either denial or creative license to appeal to a wider audience. Either way, they do manage to capture that aspect of the story without fully going biblical to make it more plausible and organic. Lastly, this show is being revisited in a eerily sense as we are close to witnessing in real time, in real life in similar circumstances being played out on the world stage. " A culture of lies is America’s demise among other things.

1 Like

I read the book of the dead many years ago, and also was very close shortly after retiring from Grad school of doing a film on Howard Carter but music took over for a big chunk of my time that eventually I gave up that ambition.

I wonder what the connection between Revelations and Book of Gates can be surmised? The first thought that comes to mind is Moses and Abraham. Further thoughts on this is needed on my part.

Brings to mind Sigmund Freuds book where he believed Moses was Akhenaton or a Priest of Akhenaton’s religion.

Have you seen the old movie or read the book The Egyptian ?

Full movie

Freud:

Moses and Monotheism - Wikipedia

1 Like

James Caan passes away at 82

1 Like

Many of those stars from those days had some special charisma that you don’t see much any more: Bogart, John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, Ingrid Bergman. Two who had something missing to me were Victor Mature and Alan Ladd. Somehow those guys just seemed wrong, contrived. One beauty who didn’t click with me was Jane Russell - stacked but she had a permanent sneer on her face.

My mother took me to Samson and Delilah and he was kind of ugly and strange.

I guess a lot of people liked both of those you; mentioned.

At least he wasn’t Steve Reeves.

Is that a “Rocky Horror Picture show” reference? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: