Royal Saxon burial site discovered

Anglo-Saxons were invaders from northern Germany, speaking an old version of German.

Who was buried there? Do we know his name?

King Arthur may or may not have existed, but he was a Celtic king or ruler who fought the Saxon invaders across the North Sea.

I thought the Saxon’s were more or less from countries of Scandinavian persuasion?

Actually, there were initially three tribes of Germanic invaders in England. Anglo-Saxons (from which we have “England” and “English”) and Jutes (Today, Jutland is the mainland part of Denmark). The historic term “Anglo-Saxon” is used to describe the two tribes probably because they were closely related.

Scandinavian invaders, who conquered what is today Great Britain and Ireland, came a few centuries later and Danes ruled parts of England. City names that end in -by are Danish.

In these days, Anglo-Saxon and Danish were mutually intelligible, meaning they could understand each other if spoken slowly enough.

Some Danish (Scandinavian) words for you: egg, tree, sky, earth…
“Are” like in “you are” and “they are”
Berserk, call, get, kidnap, knife, etc
(Berserk or “bare shirt” may come from frenzied warrors who threw down their shirts. LOL)

1 Like

3,000 years before the Anglo-Saxons moved to (or invaded, depending on your point of view) Britain, the island was occupied by groups of people who built huge and mysterious monuments. What for? We are not sure, but archaeologists make educated guesses that these sites were built for death and rebirth ceremonies.

Stonehenge marks and maps the intersection of energy lay lines across the globe. That is if you believe they exist. I know I do. Dr Manhattan and his Indian sense taught me that animals, specifically certain birds of prey can see these laylines because they view the world in a different color spectrum than humans do and it’s the reason they fly in certain patterns. Crows and Ravens know and see these patterns as well. Trees grow a certain way to avoid lay lines.

1 Like

I read some years ago about a study done in Germany about cows; when they lie down to rest out in the field, they are more likely to do so in line with north-south than east-west.

Probably they could feel the magnetism of the Earth, like pigeons and other birds. The ancient ancestors of cows — whatever migrating animals they may have been — probably knew where they were by the magnetic field.

I think animals know these environments and their energy fields more than humans do, so I could accept that as a possibility