Raising and Eating Rabbits

Another cute and fluffy source of food I know, but this is a highly sustainable source of nutrition that you can feed with nothing more than the lawn clippings from your mower. Over the course of the winter, I buy two 40 lb bags of rabbit feed at $5.50 per bag, and I always have leftover pellets by spring time.

We first start with scrap materials. Pure scraps. An old multi-tier cage, some excess lumber, a sheet of tin, and some screws (I don’t believe in nails). No need to measure anything either, it’s just scrap that’s been tacked to the northern wall of a shed.

On average, she will produce offspring about every 40 days, 5 - 8 bunnies on average.

She was given to us by a friend who regretted trying to raise rabbits inside the house, and I procured a young wild male from the field with a live trap.

As you can imagine, this amount of production will quickly grow out of control, so a second cage is needed to store the future meals.

After about 6 months, the bunnies will produce about a pound or two of meat per.

This is one of the fastest mammals to butcher and prep for eating, and their poop can be directly added to soil without having to compost first.

ETA: Here’s a pic of some future meals.

3 Likes

I don’t think I could kill a bunny but my neighbor Guido did old time Italian, I used to buy bunnies from him for pets found out later it was his food lol

1 Like

I raised New Zealand whites. In about 10 weeks you have nice size around 21/4 pound fryers.

Also are extremely healthy…specially for those with heart disease.

1 Like

I’ve ever eaten rabbit meat. How do most people cook it? Like a baked chicken?

I’ve heard they scream when you kill them.

Don’t know about other people, but I usually throw them in a stew. They’re pretty good baked as well.

Most animals scream when something tries to kill them.

1 Like