Racist remarks in leaked audio of L.A. council members Nury Martinez, Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León spark outrage

Yikes, democrat politicians showing their real colors behind closed doors.

Behind closed doors, Los Angeles City Council President Nury Martinez made openly racist remarks, derided some of her council colleagues and spoke in unusually crass terms about how the city should be carved up politically.

The conversation remained private for nearly a year, until a leaked recording reverberated explosively Sunday and turned the focus of a sprawling metropolis toward Los Angeles City Hall.

By Sunday evening, three of Martinez’s council colleagues had called for her to resign. The leak had quickly become a new and incendiary issue in the coming Nov. 8 election, with candidates — some of them endorsed by Martinez — having to stake out positions.

Martinez and the other Latino leaders present during the taped conversation were seemingly unaware they were being recorded as Martinez said a white councilmember handled his young Black son as though he were an “accessory” and described Councilman Mike Bonin’s son as Parece changuito,” or “like a monkey.”

Council President Nury Martinez makes racist remarks about Councilmember Mike Bonin’s young son while others chime in during this section of the conversation. The group was discussing a dispute between Councilmembers Curren Price and Marqueece Harris-Dawson, who were at odds last year over whose district would represent USC and Exposition Park once the new maps were finalized. The clip begins with Martinez recounting a conversation she allegedly had with businessman Danny Bakewell.

During the conversation with Councilmembers Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León and Los Angeles County Federation of Labor President Ron Herrera, Martinez described Bonin at one point as a “little bitch,” according to a recording of the meeting reviewed by The Times.

Martinez also mocked Oaxacans and said “F— that guy … He’s with the Blacks” while speaking about Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. George Gascón.

De León appeared to compare Bonin’s handling of his child to Martinez holding a Louis Vuitton handbag.

The conversation took place in October 2021 and focused heavily on councilmembers’ frustration with maps that had been proposed by the city’s 21-member redistricting commission.

Along with revealing cruel and racist comments, the leaked audio offered a rare window into the behind-the-scenes machinations of the redistricting process and the bare-knuckled fighting between various groups trying to secure political power.

On Sunday, after this article was published online, Martinez issued a statement apologizing for her comments, saying: “In a moment of intense frustration and anger, I let the situation get the best of me and I hold myself accountable for these comments. For that I am sorry.”

“The context of this conversation was concern over the redistricting process and concern about the potential negative impact it might have on communities of color,” she added. “My work speaks for itself. I’ve worked hard to lead this city through its most difficult time.”

Also on Sunday, De León called the comments “wholly inappropriate” and said he had fallen “short of the expectations we set for our leaders.”

“I regret appearing to condone and even contribute to certain insensitive comments made about a colleague and his family in private,” he said in a statement. “I’ve reached out to that colleague personally.”

Cedillo, contacted by The Times Saturday night, said, “I don’t have a recollection of this conversation.”

On Sunday night, Herrera apologized and asked for forgiveness, saying there is “no justification and no excuse for the vile remarks made in that room.”

Julie Gutman Dickinson, a lawyer representing the L.A. County Federation of Labor, sent a letter saying the conversation was “recorded in violation of California’s privacy and recording laws on LA County Federation of Labor property.” If The Times published information from it, “it is condoning this illegal conduct,” she added.

1 Like

There are several problems with this issue in general.

First off, after listening to the audio, the racial divide was originally created by the so called marginal left propping up blacks as the preferred group and thus given preferential treatment by the elite corporate woke and political class. These are Latino’s in LA who are just as corrupt and see themselves as also a marginalized group and have become prejudice against east coast Blacks who operate under the lens of the race umbrella. I mean if BLM raises billions of dollars then buys multi-million dollar homes in California and are allowed to continue with this corrupt behavior then don’t be surprised when such racist remarks are made, its the climate that identity politics has created.

Second issue I have with this, is the media getting hold of a recording without consent and then publishing it. Under California law, its illegal to record someone without their consent, so the LA Times should face civil suit and be forced to pay along with the person who recorded it to begin with.

2 Likes

BTW, good to see you here again!

Good to be back. Life has been busy, but things are looking up!

1 Like

The LA Times will consider that “cost of doing business” when they are sued. It’s like the “grab them by the p****” tape" concerning Trump.

And yes, I agree with your first point. It’s the classic divide & conquer strategy that the democrats employ. Either these 3 fine council members have traitors / turncoats in their mix, or by looking at the voting patterns according to races, latinoes are trending more red after seeing how the current incumbent performs. African-Americans, however, still trends consistently 90% + blue, so maybe it was time for these “Latinx” leaders to give up their power. My two cents.

1 Like

“LatinX”

Seems like incitement for turf war more than anything else.

On the term itself is rather polarizing and the Latinos hate the monikor that the left is trying to use regularly especially by the likes of AOC.

1 Like

Further division within the group yes. Chicanx, latinx etc, to drive a wedge between the families and friends.

1 Like

All good points, although watching the chimpouts on this have been hysterical. It’s always nice when the left eats their own.

4 Likes

Funny shit dems hurling racial comments at one another . " WHY CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG " :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is a great article! Gascon recount was rigged? Geez! LA is a hot mess of corruption ready to implode on itself!

1 Like

Infighting amongst themselves. There’s no repubilcans to contest agapist, so they got lazy. Too many openings for others to back stab and take the reign. That recording was done by a “trusted” insider, and whether that recording was legally obtained or not, the damage has already been done. You’ll see that all three Hispanic council members resign, give way to other ethnicities of a higher “racial priority”.

1 Like

Part of the landscape of a collapsing empire. Looking at the broader picture, as these types of craziness of infighting because people desperately seeking power become more common place. Sad but true. This is what happens when things get worse as a society.

1 Like

Update: one by one they drop

They are eating their own!

1 Like

I’d love to Lee Zeldin to come out and say “Wake up you stupid niccas! Wtf is wrong with you? “ stop voting democrat.
I bet they would respect him more.

Leftists tend to hate anything that has an image of being strong, good and successful.

1 Like

1 Like