Private insurance doesn't work

Government is almost always not the answer to complicate problems, such as healthcare and welfare.

About Collective Health

Collective Health is powering the Employer-Driven Healthcare Economy with the first Workforce Health Management System––giving employers a platform to simultaneously manage their healthcare investment and take better care of their people. With more than 200,000 members and 45 enterprise clients, Collective Health is reinventing the healthcare experience for self-funded employers and their employees across the U.S. Founded in October 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, Collective Health is backed by NEA, Founders Fund, GV, Sun Life, and other leading investors. For more information, visit

Collective Health today announced continued adoption of its enterprise solution in 2018, which helps employers understand and optimize their healthcare spend while bringing people a better healthcare experience. In 2019, Collective Health expects to continue to substantially grow membership across a diverse range of industries, while maintaining the health insurance industry’s highest Net Promoter Score (NPS) of 70+ for its member experience.

To support its growth and sustained momentum, the company will open a dedicated operations hub in Salt Lake City with a new and experienced leader, Scott Murray, who will join the team as Senior Vice President of Operations.

“When we set out five years ago, we had a hypothesis that by applying the latest enterprise software technology and user experience design, we could empower American employers to take the reins of their $1.2 trillion in annual healthcare spend,” said Ali Diab, Co-founder and CEO of Collective Health. “Five years on, self-insured employers are using Collective Health at an accelerating and national scale to take control of their healthcare investments. Employers recognize the power and value that our modern technology platform and large-scale data science capabilities provide, including the flexibility and transparency they need to deliver an unmatched health benefits experience to their people, while making their employee healthcare budgets go as far as they possibly can.”

National employer health benefits costs rise by 6 percent annually, but Collective Health’s platform approach, combined with its industry-leading member service, has proven to help employers better manage and reduce healthcare costs. In a cost reportreleased earlier this year, Collective Health examined medical trend across clients who had been on the platform for at least two years, and revealed a -0.3 percent trend, effectively decreasing their year-over-year costs.

Additionally, the company continued to expand its partner ecosystem in order to help clients maximize the latest health offerings. Collective Health now has over 140 health partnerships and successfully enabled more than 600 integrations in conjunction with its customers. By centralizing data feeds across its platform, Collective Health allows clients to save time and costs while harnessing the latest innovations to address common health issues like behavioral health, maternity and fertility, and more.

“By building our technology from the ground up, Collective Health is able to simplify complex healthcare experiences and burdensome administration,” said Dr. Rajaie Batniji, Co-founder and Chief Health Officer of Collective Health. “The Collective Health platform brings clarity and streamlines benefits so members can intuitively navigate the healthcare system and take advantage of the programs being offered by employers. The proof points we demonstrated across experience, engagement, and cost management are leading to increased interest and adoption from companies of all sizes, and across all industries.”

Collective Health saw wide adoption and has over 45 clients, including Activision Blizzard, Pinterest, Uber, and The Ensign Group, among others. These clients represent an increasingly diverse set of industries ranging from entertainment, gaming, and publishing to retail, ecommerce, and transportation. In 2018, Collective Health had a 100 percent renewal rate for eligible clients and grew its enterprise client base by more than 50 percent.

“As a company that prioritizes building positive experiences for Pinners, we bring that same dedication to creating a safe and supportive environment for employees through inclusive benefits,” said Alice Vichaita, Head of Global Benefits with Pinterest. “We believe supporting people to be their whole self ultimately leads to happier, more productive employees. Collective Health provides a truly exceptional product and service that align with our values, empowering people to make smarter choices when it comes to their own healthcare.”

To continue providing exceptional service and support the rapidly increasing client and member base, Collective Health is adding to its already expanding workforce, which surpassed 500 people this year. In addition to its headquarters in San Francisco and its engineering hub in Chicago, in early 2019 the company will open a Salt Lake City office. The new location will support the expansion of the company’s geographic footprint, creating an operational hub which is expected to bring hundreds of jobs.

In January, Collective Health is bringing on operations and customer service veteran, Scott Murray, as Senior Vice President of Operations to help the team scale quickly, while maintaining trust with members. Previously Scott spent over 15 years at eBay where as Vice President of Customer Service Product & Technology Solutions he oversaw eBay’s customer service technology platform that enabled ~350 Million customer interactions annually. He also played a key role in the company’s expansion in Utah where he co-led the transformation of eBay’s global customer service, with a focus on improving the customer experience while reducing costs.

“Customers want and deserve a better healthcare experience - Collective Health is leading the way to make this a reality,” said Scott Murray. “The company has experienced exponential growth while protecting and increasing the trust of its members. I’m thrilled to be a part of the industry transformation Collective Health is driving.”

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181206005836/en/

Collective health is a skimmer. They charge an employer to manage their benefits. Few companies manage their own benefits package using outside companies to provide that service.

It would be great if there was the “insurance price” for those with healthcare and then the “standard price” for those who want to pay their own way. Insurance is a racket.

1 Like

Even better - bring back the hometown family doctor and the barter system.

1 Like

Health co-ops like this have been around for more than a hundred years.

Private insurance was working fine till Obamacare came along and screwed the whole thing up.

2 Likes

Insurance insures for the unexpected. Auto, home insurance is the perfect example.

Healthcare insurance has been bastardized by YOUR government.

2 Likes

What’s that expression about not fixing what ain’t broke?

I don’t think anyone is learning it any more.

I am seriously considering alternatives to western medicine, which most likely would be cash.

Concierge medicine in the form of a massage therapist who stated her prices on a blackboard at the door & listed a phone # to make an appointment worked out great!

Many physicians are getting away from insurance altogether and opting for the coops instead just because of the cost and hassle of dealing with insurance companies.

I think over time we’ll see more and more going to an all cash business as well.

Unfortunately most of the hospitals are now owned by groups that are a direct extension of various insurance companies and tailored to such a business model that it’s getting increasingly more difficult for a physician to have hospital privileges, much less surgical privileges at hospitals unless they are working directly with the insurance companies.

The changes I’ve seen over the last forty plus years are staggering. We were not a wealthy family by any means but when it came time for tonsillectomies on my brother and I we got a packaged deal. Both surgeries, and two room suite at the local hospital for three days each ended up costing my dad under 400.00 and particularly in my case the surgery was rather complicated because of almost constant tonsillitis throughout most of my young life so they had to do a whole lot of deep digging to get the tonsils and adenoids out.

As the gov’t has gotten deeper and deeper into both medical services delivery and insurance the costs have skyrocketed dramatically and the level of care we’re gettin for our dollars has dropped precipitously.

There should be a much better free market solution out there but in order to get to it the gov’t is going to have to pull back dramatically on the regulatory side and I’m not inclined to think they’ll be willing.

One thing for sure is if we even begin talking about any form of deregulation the folks on the left will be screaming from the top of every mountain and roof in the country that republicans want to kill us all.

We’ve also seriously got to go about Tort and Malpractice reforms drastically limiting both because this is a economic burden put on everyone. It’s very popular to talk about sticking it to corporations but in truth it’s not them but us who end up footing the bills.

2 Likes

I remember my family doctor making housecalls in the 60’s.

To much liability today with people willing to sue at the drop of a hat.

We still had out family doc making housecalls well into the 70’s and even 80’s.

No, liability isn’t a factor with housecalls, time is. Doc’s are pretty well forced into doing revolving door medicine just to cover the costs of their clinics.

A good GP can be paying in excess of 250k a year for malpractice insurance, a good, busy OB/GYN up to 500k.

Those costs have to be met before the doc or his staff see a dime in profits.

Unless and until we have serious reform of medical malpractice law nothing we can do will really get costs under control.