President Trump and tariffs

Can’t get any better than the horses mouth…:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

This explains why tariffs may be necessary–at least, in the short run–but it really does not explain why one would revel in them, as though they were a reason for rejoicing, and not merely a necessary evil.

Given the context in which he is using them… I have to agree with Trump. Thank you for providing that along with the context.

Who is reveling and rejoicing in them?

There you go, you agree with Trump that tariffs are the greatest…:rofl:

We’re talking about Trump…:man_shrugging:

:rofl:

Context seems to be beyond your capabilities. TDS rules any critical thinking skills you may have the potential to possess.

:rofl:

Probably because he won’t personally be affected by them…:man_shrugging:

Yep, very level playing field…:roll_eyes:

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/here-are-202-companies-hurt-trumps-tariffs

So you support other countries using the government to set prices that undermine America’s workers and industry.

Say it loud and proud.

Or raising prices to pass along to the consumer.

Still a fraction of the cost of supporting the illegals with medical/health/education and welfare. Not to mention suppressed wages and jobs.

As long as I know that you’re cool with trump’s tariffs hurting Americans and American companies…

Illegals hurt Americans and American companies more than temporary punitive tariffs with Mexico ever could. There is absolutely NOTHING that Mexico supplies that we cannot get elsewhere or produce for ourselves.

That you don’t get this basic concept is beyond comprehension.

1 Like

As long as you’re out there owning support for Americans and American companies being harmed by trumps tariffs.

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2019/05/trump-adviser-larry-kudlow-admits-tariffs-hurt-economy.html

I am interpreting the words, “I am a tariff man,” to mean exactly that.

But perhaps I am mistaken.

Do you take them to mean something else?

If so, then what?

And why would you interpret them differently?

"President Xi and I want this deal to happen, and it probably will. But if not remember, I am a Tariff Man,” Trump said in a series of tweets.

“When people or countries come in to raid the great wealth of our Nation, I want them to pay for the privilege of doing so,” he continued. “It will always be the best way to max out our economic power. We are right now taking in $billions in Tariffs. MAKE AMERICA RICH AGAIN.” https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/419795-drop-in-stocks-not-a-result-of-trump-tweets-on-tariffs-says-conservative

The second paragraph is a qualifier to the circumstances in calling himself a “tariff man”.

But again, my question to you is who is revealing and rejoicing in them?

Short term hurt, long term healing.

Kinda like a shot of antibiotic.

1 Like

Wern’t we supposed to be in another great depression by now? The “experts” and those who worship them thought so.

Yes, it is a qualifier.

But again, he is not merely saying that tariffs are a necessary evil, dictated by the circumstances, and lacking any better alternative (which seems reasonable to me).

Rather, he is saying that he wants others “to pay” for “the privilege” of doing business with the US.

(Those who say they want both “free and fair” trade do not typically place much emphasis upon the former.)

What “better alternative” has he been left with?