Police officer critical after being stabbed 'a number of times' with a machete

Documented high failure rate of tasers.

Heck, swinging a machete, a baseball bat could knock the leads away and then where does that leave you?

I’d thought about getting a taser for self protection but decided against it.

I’d imagine some nasty pepper spray or something might be more effective in a situation like that?

Where lawful if you can’t carry a gun they are better than nothing.

Pepper spray also often fails to stop a determined or drug altered attacker.

I will always use a lethal option where I lawfully can if I must use force.

The attack was ‘attempted murder’ and should be treated as such. In this insane country though, he’ll be put in the slammer for a few months then be out on the streets to have another go. ‘Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad’??

1 Like

I’d honestly prefer a stun gun to a taser. The problem with that is that you must close to hand distance in order to employ them but they will carry much more current than the thin wires of a taser.

They too have severe limitations though. If the attacker is wearing bulky and/or wet clothing they can be all but useless.

For them to work well you need direct contact with the attacker’s skin. Honestly they are a better ambush weapon.

The UK is unfortunately starting to learn what it is to deal with truly violent people who have no respect for authority.

It’s only going to get worse, much worse.

1 Like

I’d love to have had one in that incident this morning, I know that much. In fact if there were some way I could acquire a gun, I would. I sure wouldn’t dare go out after dark.

You’d probably be better off with a club or baseball bat if you could legally carry one, they make a pretty good deterrent.

The problem is, someone will eventually make you prove you not only know how but are willing to use it.

Understand, I’m not just an activist, I’ve been teaching self defense for over thirty years. I teach everything from empty handed skills, to knife and baton, to environmental weapons (common every day items you can use effectively as weapons) to firearms and the laws of self defense. I’m a certified NRA, USCCA, TX LTC instructor RSO and Chief RSO.

I have taught military, police, and civilians throughout my career so this is a subject I have a pretty deep background in.

I’ve also had to employ all of these in and out of uniform in both war and peacetime.

1 Like

In the incident this morning - if it had got physical I would have used the gun then worry about the consequences afterwards - I’d have tried to leave the scene first though, if possible.

The best use of the gun is to never even have to draw it, much less fire it.

Over 90% of would be criminals will back off and seek softer targets if they know you are carrying or even have good reason to suspect you are.

You’re lucky that guy was just an asshole and not intent on harming you.

Oh he would have harmed me if I’d protested, have no doubt about that. He was probably hoping I would?

From what you describe he was only trying to intimidate you to see if you’d show weakness or challenge him. Most likely if you had done either, you’d have taken a beating from the thug.

Honestly, it might not be a bad idea walk with a cane and learn how to use it for self defense.

1 Like

Great example of a nondescript, non agitating “environmental weapon”.

Problem is, potential attackers will see you as a likely target assuming you are disabled/weak.

It would have happened if I hadn’t stepped aside.

Trouble with that is there might well be consequences - a midnight visit from his friends and family?

Could be. Fortunately he appears to have only been trying to intimidate.

More often than not unless it’s a gang member a good whupp’n causes an immediate change of attitude.