Old Negro songs and spirituals

Not exactly sure what these kids were told to sing, but I -for one- often find myself singing songs I learned in junior high glee club. (Yeah… I know…gay for sure)

I like this one. It has no mean racist overtones to me. It came from an oppressed culture and oppressed cultures make the best music.

Those pictures of little kids working reminds me of my significant other, who was out there with her family when she was no more than 5, picking tobacco (her job: carrying sticks they used to skewer the leaves) . She’s French Irish and white.

I also like Old Black Joe, No Hiding Place, and other negro work songs and spiritual songs alot…not to mention the Caribbean work songs like Banana Boat song.
Jesus… people are offended?

1 Like

If they aren’t they will find a reason to be. Only because they have no life.

Personally, I love any song that you can FEEL the hear come through. One of my favorites:

For the absolute passion that comes though: (you will like this Ish if you’ve never listened to it before)

Simply beautiful and uplifting:

Awake My Captain. !

Thank you. I’m so slow learning any thing new to play on guitar. But this song … some version of it… will likely be the next song I learn.

It’s this phrase that did it…

"I love my captain…and the creaking of the rigging in the wind"

Yes… even the creaking of the rigging on a ship whose timbers are breaking. Been there, my friend.

:slight_smile:

And while the following may seem to be a non-sequitar, the song also made me think of this scene from Forest Gump. After the storm and Lt Dan’s cursing and anger … not only did the Lord forgive Lt Dan for his disbelief, arrogance and anger, He gave Lt Dan peace.

1 Like

That is exactly the phrase that gets me as well. :wink:

1 Like