Obesity significantly increases risk of serious disease, researchers warn

The weight loss marketplace in the US isn’t chump change.

U.S. Weight Loss Market Worth $66 Billion

I would rather our fatties paid for their own drugs and treatment. One third of the NHS budget is spent on obesity and obesity related diseases. They have all the incentives to get /stay fat. Fat enough and they get disability allowance (extra cash to spend on takeaways, delivered to their settees, of course) and they don’t have to look for a job plus other perks, like mobility scooters and free cars. I think it’s called Motability. They get given BMWs.

Unfortunately our healthcare is expensive because 60+% of Americans are over weight or obese, Then they all scream for less expensive healthcare.

Dean lost 240 pounds on NutriSystem. He didn’t say how long it took. ($$)

Chronic diseases are where the money is.

Unfortunately there’s little to no incentive for people to live a healthy lifestyle as long as other people are paying their medical bills.

I prefer the subway turkey guy.

That was quite an accomplishment.

So why then are you lot fat? You don’t have universal healthcare.

What happened to the excess skin?

We do for the poor and elderly, for most of the rest it’s employer provided.

In reality, I wonder if it is that much different. If you can afford it here, you don’t use the NHS or state schools. You go private. The NHS is mostly a massive bureaucratic nightmare drug dispenser, there to be abused by the fat idiocracy, Muslim inbreeders and health tourists.

Not that much different but here wait times are nothing and we have choice of providers.

Two weeks ago I had a renal artery contrast MRI ordered and in three days had it approved and scheduled. This is with private employer provided insurance.

With Medicaid or Medicare it could have been weeks or months.

Most of my surgeries have been approved within a few hours.

As I said, he didn’t say how long it took. With gradual weight loss, the skin shrinks slowly…with proper exercise. With drastic weight loss, the excess skin is removed surgically.

When larger areas are removed, it’s sort of like removing the center section from a dining table and closing the gap with stitches.

Don’t be comparing your private healthcare to our NHS! Like for like! We have no waiting times privately either.

No but we have medicaid subsidized insurance and if you cannot afford healthcare go to any emergency room for treatment at no charge.

Our illegals use the emergency rooms free of charge for everyday colds or whatever.

Who determines you can’t afford healthcare? I guess they can probably afford plenty of food and iPhones.

1 Like

Cell phones are provided to anyone on Medicaid or receiving government assistance.

Food is easy,

Food Assistance Programs

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
USDA. Food and Nutrition Service.

Learn how SNAPprovides a basic safety net to millions of people through benefits for eligible low-income families.

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Find out how WICsafeguards the health of low-income women, infants, & children up to age 5 through nutritious foods, information on healthy eating, and healthcare referrals.

Child Nutrition Programs

Learn about programs that offer food and nutrition assistance for children, including NSLP, SBP, SFSPand more.

Nutrition Programs for Seniors

Find food and nutrition programs that focus on the needs of older Americans.

Hunger and Food Security Resources
USDA. NAL. Food and Nutrition Information Center.

Find general information and resources on hunger and food security, including links to governmental and non-government organizations.

Food Distribution Programs

Learn about the USDAcommodity distribution programs, including CSFP, FDPIR, and TEFAP.

Office of Head Start
DHHS. Administration for Children and Families.

These are major categories. Under child, there are 5 separate programs.

People can qualify for multiple programs.

That’s all rather complicated. Do you translate it into numerous languages, so they know what they are entitled to?

I believe it’s published in 12 languages and it you need a translator one is provided.

p.s. We have organizations that will make sure they understand what they get for fee.

1 Like

Too bad the handbooks don’t consist of variations on “nothing” at that point.

It’s hard to distinguish between public and private here since we all go to the same hospitals, clinics, and doc’s no matter how we are paying.

Medicare and Medicaid are gov’t programs which all public hospitals and clinics are required to accept. Anyone can go to any public hospital emergency room and be treated whether they can pay or not. One of the primary things driving up our costs are those hospitals having to recoup what they lose in being forced to treat the indigent.

For all practical purposes we might as well all be on gov’t healthcare since we’re all sharing the same system no matter how we pay with very few exceptions.

There are a handful of private pay only and membership groups/hospitals but they are a tiny fraction of the overall market and probably don’t account for more than 5% of providers nationwide.