Learn a new language in six months?

In the “global world,” knowledge of a foreign language(s) might make the difference between life and death.

There are some good ideas that might work for you.

I became (more or less) fluent in Hebrew in four months by following the classic language learning method.
Learn a new alphabet.
Learn basic pronunciation in basic sentences.
Slowly progress into longer sentences.
And a lot of input. Don’t worry about output (which is speaking and writing).

If you know 1,000 basic words, you can master 98% of the communication, like the speaker says. So why mess with mixing with total strangers, which can be quite stressful. I’d rather stay home and use dictionaries.

“Global World,”. Are you applying for a job? You might want to learn the Digeridoo, I hear Rolf Harris is occupied.

It was said by George Bush 43, and I thought it was quite funny.

When I lived in Spain a few years ago I became almost fluent in the Castilian dialect, but I got discombobulated by the masculine and feminine rule, especially the exceptions of the preceding definite and indefinite articles. Because I haven’t needed to speak el Espanol since then, I’ve lost the fluency, but my vocabulary is still 100% intact. :sunglasses: But it’s one of the easiest languages to learn because the alphabet characters never vary phonetically; the pronunciation of every letter in the Spanish alphabet is consistent, so if you can say the word you’ll be able to spell it too; and when you see the palabras in the written form, you’ll know precisely how to pronounce them. I think it’s the most beautiful language of them all.

1 Like