Law students at Washington & Lee University campaign to have portraits of George Washington and Robert E. Lee removed from diplomas

Law students at Washington & Lee University campaign to have portraits of George Washington and Robert E. Lee removed from diplomas because people may find the slaveholders ‘controversial or offensive’

• Students at the Washington & Lee University School of Law are petitioning for the option to remove portraits of the school’s namesakes from their diplomas
  • The university was named after former president George Washington and Confederate commander Robert E. Lee
  • Organizers at the Lexington, Virginia, school say the historical figures ‘controversial’
  • Both were slaveholders and Lee’s role in the American Civil War has brought criticism to their legacies
  • Petition has been signed by current students, alumni and some faculty members
  • An opposing group, The General Redoubt, say the petition will ‘dismantle the traditions, values and history,’ of the university
2 Likes

They weren’t offended when they applied, were accepted, and attended the school? These people are idiots and I bet the schools folds.

2 Likes

And then, hopefully, the message will finally seep into the brains of Liberals that these radicals are not to be tolerated but must be peacefully overruled.

It just a piece of paper and requesting to have a diploma without pictures is not unreasonable. Most diplomas that are issued from major universities don’t have pictures on them, only the name of the college, name of the student graduated, date and official signatories adorned with official seal.

It’s still going to say Washington and Lee on it though.

Yeah sure and I have no problem with that! It would become a problem for me if that is what they decided to change!