Landlord fatally shoved down flight of stairs

I realize that you’re a home body Jim, but I’m all over the US on a continuous bases, I’m in Houston at the moment, have had four different Uber drivers in my brief stay, all immigrants who I engaged extensively in conversation. One from Nigeria, one from Ukraine, one from Spain and one from Iraq. All very educated, all very excited to be living in America, and to a man, all far more appreciative of the American dream within their reach than so many of the white native born whiners I encounter on a regular bases. While here I stayed one night with a friend that is here from Columbia, 20 years now, he was educated in engineering in Columbia and came here to work. He has a 150K job and has saved and one at a time bought eight houses in the 125K range, paying cash for them all, fixed them up and rents them at an average of 1500 a month.

He lives in a gated community in a 4200 sf house five bedroom 4 bath house.

These people are all typical of the immigrants coming to America whereas what you portray is anecdotal.

Immigrants that do come here and commit crimes should be and are prosecuted like anyone else.

“Anyone” who comes here illegally “is committing a crime”. Anyone who comes here legally, works at becoming a productive legal citizen, and who respects our laws, well, I have their back. And by the way, I have been around the world dozens of times; Navy - Merchant Marines. As a young man, I hitchhiked America. Every state except Hawaii & Alaska. 3 years of wandering & learning; but back then it was much safer; or I was much dumber & lucky.

Again, the vast majority of immigrants to the US are law abiding and more appreciative. Some people would prefer to keep focus on the few however.

I’ve never been concerned about immigrants who do not commit crimes; and I support their effort to become law abiding citizens. Just come here within the frame of the law, and do the right thing. The right thing would include taking steps to report any activity that would be harmful to the country where they wish to become citizens. Too many people just sit and stare, instead of taking steps to support our country. 3 Ways to Report Illegal Immigrants Anonymously - wikiHow

So the point is, your opposition to “importing” them is unrealistic as there’s no way of knowing if an immigrant is going to be law abiding or not. But certainly the vast majority are (even amongst those that are here “illegally” btw) and that’s what’s important and beneficial to our society.

Law abiding would be being here legally, with the necessary paperwork, & working an honest job & paying taxes. If that’s the case, the odds are, no criminal activity. Can never be 100%, but if the steps were taken to enter legally, etc. they probably wish to become productive legal citizens.

I’m sure there have been immigrants that came legally and committed crimes afterwards. There’s just no way of knowing before hand.

Those are some nice anecdotes you’re sharing with the group but they have no basis in fact.

Every illegal alien or visa overstay is committing a crime by being in the United States. Any crimes committed while illegally residing in the United States are crimes that should not have happened to begin with. Of course, you ignore that logic because you had a nice conversation with an uber driver who is kissing your ass for a tip. Like all typical liberals…facts end where your feelings begin, right?

3 Likes

If a person tries to enter the country illegally and if we could stop them from entering our country would you not agree with the logic that an American citizen killed by an illegal would not happen?

Take the brown man, black man, whatever out of the equation.

True or not true. It is a simple yes or no answer.

1 Like

That is the difference between your mindset and mine.

I do not see the death of an American citizen at the hand of an illegal as “anecdotal”.

1 Like

You’re misquoting the post you tagged. Typical liberal.

Not immigrants. Illegals. Illegals are not immigrants. Illegals have gained entry by breaking our laws and are thus criminals.

3 Likes

That is just it, often they love blurring the lines so they can propagate their MSM talking points.

In most states penalty wise there may be little or no difference in the two.

In this case it may be hard for the DA to make his case because the landlord was attempting to make a forcible entry to the property.

They’ll probably end up settling for some sort of plea to a lesser charge and being NY it probably won’t eve be a felony.

It depends on where this charge falls in terms of Voluntary Manslaughter or Involuntary Manslaughter. If the latter prevails, then a plea agreement is possible but only on sentencing guidelines and not actual reduction of the charges, which would involve the defendant to plea guilty to the original charges in exchange for reduced jail time and then in turn would fall to the discretion of the judge presiding over the case. The other aspect in this particular case is the family of the victim would have to agree as well, as they no doubt will be seeking the maximum penalty for the defendant. Voluntary Manslaughter however is a lesser charge to Murder, but carries a sentence 4 to 10 years under NY State law. So this would also depend if the defendant is adamant about going to trial which Prosecutors almost always never want due to the cost, and the possibility that they could lose and end up looking bad. In that scenario the State would always be seeking maximum penalty, especially if a plea was offered and the defendant turned it down.

With what I’m seeing going on in NY lately I’m not sure you’re correct.

There have been a bunch of people lately charged with serious felonies originally who plead out to lower misdemeanors who have quickly come back to commit even more serious felonies to the, if you can believe it all, get put right back out on the street because they can’t afford to make bail so they are released OR.

It’s turning into the seventies again in a hurry.

My real concern here is that the guy might actually have a legitimate claim of self defense and get off completely since the victim here was trying to forcibly enter his dwelling.

If you are basing your view on the recent Cuomo bail premise, then that possibility does exist however I am only citing what the current Law and past case law frames the sentencing guidelines for said such charges and doesn’t coincide with “lately” and what has been regarded by many here who are residents of New York as a blatant disregard for the law itself. Cuomo is getting a lot of blowback for this and I suspect sooner or later he will have to redress this issue to appease his base.

I’m seeing a weekly litany of cases where prior felons plead out to misdemeanors and have committed more recently, then walking OR.

I don’t know what the current laws are or when these prior cases took place but it’s appalling.

Just look at this as I think this was covered in another thread here recently.

I’m aware of that, I’m just talking about some of these prior offenders who are now benefiting.

Some of them have been dumped back on the streets under their “Judicial and Prison Reforms” only to reoffend in weeks or months, walk out again without bail to commit even more egregious offenses up to and including murder.