Is this a Free Speech Site or What? YES! There will be consequences for shutting down the speech of others too!

As a Canadian, I strongly disagree with you on this. After all, the only person complaining here is you.

2 Likes

An interesting perception which speaks to someYanks hardly all.

LOL, perhaps you should met Americans in person, they didn’t refer to Americans as ugly Americans got looks.

" Ugly American " is a pejorative term used to refer to perceptions of loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior of American citizens mainly abroad, but also at home. Wait they left out rude.

1 Like

Well Jen, it looks as though your ratings have gone up :slight_smile:

Exactly how much time have you spent in the US? What states and/or cities?

They banned them because right wingers might hurt the feelings of the muslim immigrants that are taking over whole communities and large sections of their major cities.

Angry Muslims tend to react badly to any perceived insult.

Americans have a right to be:
Pilgrims
When in the course of human events…
WWII

But I digress. I hope that Verv realizes that EXTREMELY RARE Mod directives here are not to be summarily dismissed and is allowed to rejoin discussion. As much as this fledgling forum does not need to dissuade new and vibrant members with well thought posts, it also does not serve growth with perma-bans (not sure that is what happened here) where a lesson might be more apropos.

For the record: I don’t very much care for some of Verv’s contributions, however instruction in comity begs for some lesser remedial action.

I can state this for certain: Reasoning with others out here on the interwebs has improved my debate capabilities.

1 Like

As Patriot has said many times, there is no such thing as a perma-ban. However Verv is still banned and the last time I looked it was for 1000 years. :stuck_out_tongue:

Arguing with mods is just asking for it, IMHO

3 Likes

We have voted to allow people back in before. I get that many of you enjoyed your interactions with @verv

However, it is rare that we ask someone to do something / refrain from doing something. In a private conversation I was surprised by the level of disrespect shown to me for absolutely no reason. Is that something that’s tolerable? Maybe to all of you it is, to me it’s not. If that behavior were permitted it would make moderating harder than it already is.

I’m sure most of you think moderating a free speech forum would be easy. It isn’t. I’m almost thinking we should give people a taste of moderation once in a while.

Anyway, I’ll think about casting a vote for @verv

2 Likes

Thank you KVN and for the record I think its more than fair than most moderators would be willing to put out there. I also totally agree with respect to the level of difficulty that you articulated on how hard it is to moderate a free speech forum and I can see that you didn’t take that decision to ban Verve lightly. So I do appreciate what you do here, and in the broader perspective this place is better for it!

1 Like

You have my full sympathy. I can only assume that he was on an emotional high and failed to apply the brakes. Maybe he failed to take-in your ‘moderator’ badge.

Anyway … a period in the cooler will do him no harm.

2 Likes

That in itself is a reason to ban a person.

The time you and Patriot put into this site should be respected by all who contribute here as it’s your time, the rules are clearly articulated.

3 Likes

For the record, I have no problem with Verv coming back.
even if most on here screaming abt free speech would ban me in a heartbeat if they could. ROFLMFAO

I wouldn’t. Disgusting, ignorant, and uneducated posts are just part of the real world. We don’t need to hide them or ban them in order to show that they come from a misguided soul.

W have the ultimate weapon for [quote=“Call_me_Ishmael, post:74, topic:1399”]
Disgusting, ignorant, and uneducated posts
[/quote]

Ignore them!!!

heh heh jittsy volunteered to do it

You have seen the pros and cons of that strategy haven’t you?

Yes, we can ignore as though he is a troll and will go away if we pay no attention.

But then those posts are there for the reader who may not be so well grounded in facts as we are. Thus…ridiculous lies will be propagated and perpetuated. So don’t those posts need to be refuted?

Personally, I don’t think he is a troll as much as he has a mission to accomplish… spreading hate against ■■■■■ for whatever reason.

So… I respect the “ignore” strategy. But I also respect the “refute” strategy. Sounds wishy washy but that’s where I stand today.

Probably should have said: Respond and ignore as debate is impossible.

I certainly agree the mission is hate and f course ti try and irritate as many people as possible.

That is certainly true.

2 Likes

Sounds like free speech to me but in case you have forgotten what that is - heres the definition.

free speech
noun
noun: free speech

1. the right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.
1 Like

You should try it sometime - ad hominem attacks don’t qualify as debate btw